News   Aug 09, 2024
 849     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 691     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3K     2 

Transit Fantasy Maps

But its not that simple. literally the only thing that could be kept for a subway conversion would be the new guideway to the airport terminal. Subways can't use freight tracks, they can't switch over multiple tracks to reach the platform at union, can't fit on existing platforms, the existing trains can't be used due to their short length, luxury interior, TTC can't / shouldn't start dealing with mixed rail, the list goes on and on. the UPX really is incompatible with the TTC in essentially every way.

The guideway would be the most expensive part... Reconfiguring UPE tracks in the Georgetown corridor shouldn't be more expensive than LRT construction costs. You would need to segregate them from general rail traffic, electrify the lines and build new stations (UPE doesn't really have urban stations anyways, Weston notwithstanding).

It wouldn't be free, but as a corridor UPE would certainly be able to accommodate more frequent, subway style service with relatively minimal capital costs compared to alternatives.

^intentional, Metrolinx has taken over the project and still hasn't decided on final stops. I suspect it will be more than one every two kilometers however.

The Transit City spacing was ridiculous. They had some stops 350m apart. So glad the TTC isn't in charge of this anymore. I'm betting on 650-700m spacing on Sheppard.

That's would be a little close, but still following the standard set by Bloor-Danforth.

Do we know when ML will be releasing design details on SELRT and FWLRT?

The Transit City spacing was ridiculous. They had some stops 350m apart. So glad the TTC isn't in charge of this anymore. I'm betting on 650-700m spacing on Sheppard.

That's would be a little close, but still following the standard set by Bloor-Danforth.

Do we know when ML will be releasing design details on SELRT and FWLRT?

The stop spacing should only occur where there's an intersecting bus route. So for Sheppard that would be:

Don Mills Stn
Consumers
Victoria Park
Pharmacy
Warden
Birchmount
Kennedy
Midland
Brimley
McCowan
Markham
Progress
Washburn
Neilson
Brenyon Way
Morningside
Dean Park (optional)
Meadowvale

And for Finch West:
Finch West Stn
Sentinel
Driftwood
Jane
Norfinch
Signet
Weston Road
Milvan
Islington
Kipling
Albion
Martin Grove
Highway 27
Humber College

Only then can these lines claim to be truly rapid transit.

If the stop spacing had been reasonable from the get go, Transit City wouldn't have gotten the flak it did (and rightly still does).

If the stop spacing had been reasonable from the get go, Transit City wouldn't have gotten the flak it did (and rightly still does).

I agree that TC wasn't perfect and I've openly criticized the plan on numerous occasions. But the flak TC is gotten from the general public has more to do with LRT-phobia then actual problems with the design of the TC lines. Especially since Rob Ford was elected three years ago. Most of the criticisms I hear from people are something along the lines of "x deserves a subway and I don't want LRT clogging up the street". And of course these criticisms are usually unsubstantiated.

Money. It would cost billions to build and a huge amount of money to maintain a structure that large. That's money that could be used for more urgent transit priorities.

Money. It would cost billions to build and a huge amount of money to maintain a structure that large. That's money that could be used for more urgent transit priorities.

The Dufferin (& Bathurst) corridor in several areas are "insane", and yes it would cost more than throwing down a multi-lane slab, but if you can't build at grade, or put it underground, and you need at least an ROW... well.

If Robbie and his posse are willing to pump good money into the Gardiner for a band-aid instead instead of a solution, then what is actually insane?

I never said such an undertaking would take priority over such things like a relief line.

Time for something on a broader scope. As I see it, the only way in which we are going to see true electrified 250km/h+ high speed rail west of Toronto is if it is done piecemeal. The Kitchener line is already on the Metrolinx priority list for electrification. Given the straightness of much of the existing Guelph Subdivision, and the fact that it could be up for purchase in the next few years when GEXR's lease is up for review in 2017, I could see a scenario in which Metrolinx takes over that lease. Doing so would make rail upgrades, electrification, and conversion to EMUs on the north mainline far easier given that the line would be under Metrolinx control. I'd like you to consider the following ultimate setup:

From London to Pearson
aidA9f5.jpg

From Brampton to Union
7QteTDE.jpg

The black line is the fully electrified mainline from London to Toronto. Red lines are potential high speed bypass routes and would be built on an as-needed basis as the line gains ridership and grade-separation through smaller towns becomes prohibitive. The teal line is the Pearson rail spur.

The following services would be run on the corridor:

High Speed Rail (Red Stops): Running up to a maximum of 325 km/h based on track geometry. This could be operated by a consortium of private companies under the Government of Ontario, or operated by VIA depending on appetite.
Intercity Rail (Yellow/Red Stops): Former VIA Rail operated by GO transit. By this time, VIA will likely want to divest its intercity service on the North Mainline in favour of running more direct service on the Lakeshore-Brantford corridor
GO Express Regional (Green/Yellow/Red Squares): This service would connect Kitchener to Toronto with a run time of about 1h 15m hitting major stops and transfer nodes along the line primarily during rush hour both inbound and outbound, but could be extended to operate all-day.
GO Local (All stops except Teal): A local service which would be timed to make transfers with the GO express service both inbound and outbound.
Union-Pearson Express (Union-Bloor-Pearson Terminal 1): This would be an actual express service to connect the Airport with Downtown Toronto)
Union-Pearson Local (All Stops): This line would serve the function as a western leg of the DRL (terminated at Dundas West-Bloor) providing a more local, frequent rapid transit-type service with shorter high-floor EMUs compatible with the existing UP Express stations

In terms of timeline, I'd optimistically hope for full buildout by 2045. The local service on the UP right-of-way I can see being looked into following the Pan-Am games. Electrification to Kitchener would probably take until at least 2025 and past Kitchener until 2035. High speed sections would need to wait until a tunnel is built beneath the existing rail corridor for Lakeshore service and for the buildout of the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal high speed corridor. The Stratford and Acton bypass tracks would be the last piece and would be built at an even later date.

Last edited:

Back