News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 940     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Hopefully we can get back on track. Today we're building more transit then any point in our history. It's too bad that transit has become so politicized. Has it always been this bad?

Hopefully we can get back on track. Today we're building more transit then any point in our history. It's too bad that transit has become so politicized. Has it always been this bad?

Before the construction of the Yonge line, there were plebiscites on subway construction. People didn't want the tax increase and rejected building a subway. That delayed construction by decades.

I can perhaps see a subway up to Mt. Dennis if the corridor is widened (should be an easy job). There's no way ML is handing their baby over to the TTC.

Metrolinx has reserved room for 8 tracks up until the Barrie Corridor splits, but after that you would probably have the room.

I just noticed that the title of the map is "Subway/RT [Rapid Transit] Map". I suppose this means that the TTC is now considering LRT to be rapid transit!

Well, despite the controversial, politicized rhetoric behind LRT, it is definitely equatable to "rapid transit." Once operational, I believe the new TTC streetcars will transfigure general perceptions of the streetcar network and also enhance perceptions of the upcoming LRT lines. It's just too bad we'll have to wait another eight years until the finished product.

It's just too bad we'll have to wait another eight years until the finished product.
The Waterloo LRT line uses exactly the same equipment, power, etc., and is scheduled to start construction in 2014 for a 2017 opening. So we will get an early taste.

It will be interesting if Metrolinx follows through with their suggesion of accelerating Sheppard East and/or Finch West (do we call them Line 6 and Line 7 now?) now that a lot of their 2015-2017 spending on the SRT has vanished.

The Waterloo LRT line uses exactly the same equipment, power, etc., and is scheduled to start construction in 2014 for a 2017 opening. So we will get an early taste.

It will be interesting if Metrolinx follows through with their suggesion of accelerating Sheppard East and/or Finch West (do we call them Line 6 and Line 7 now?) now that a lot of their 2015-2017 spending on the SRT has vanished.

I doubt it if anything will happen before the 2014 municipal election. Too controversial.

I doubt it if anything will happen before the 2014 municipal election. Too controversial.
Finch West controversial? Only in Ford and Mammoliti's mind (and I use the word mind loosely). It's not like there's any realistic alternative there to LRT ... other than just running the bus.

Well, despite the controversial, politicized rhetoric behind LRT, it is definitely equatable to "rapid transit." Once operational, I believe the new TTC streetcars will transfigure general perceptions of the streetcar network and also enhance perceptions of the upcoming LRT lines. It's just too bad we'll have to wait another eight years until the finished product.

Definitely. I've been on a few "proper" LRT systems (what we're getting), and they definitely qualify as rapid transit in my books. I don't really care about the ambiguous technical definitions about what RT is.

Finch West controversial? Only in Ford and Mammoliti's mind (and I use the word mind loosely). It's not like there's any realistic alternative there to LRT ... other than just running the bus.

Well it is the Sheppard LRT that is really controversial... but I doubt it if Metrolinx wants to build either of them during an election campaign, there are bound to be candidates (both Rob Ford and several others) against the Sheppard LRT, running against several candidates that are in favour of it. There is far too much risk of wasting money on cancellation penalties if they try to start building it in the middle of 2014.

I understood this to be:
1) Convert the existing Spadina LRT into a subway.
2) Extend this Spadina line north of Bloor.
What Spadina LRT? Its already a subway. Extend Spadina north of Bloor? Spadina stops at Eglinton but subway runs in some ditch up to Sheppard. Am I missing something? I know this is maps/fantasy maps but I am kind of lost

What Spadina LRT? Its already a subway. Extend Spadina north of Bloor? Spadina stops at Eglinton but subway runs in some ditch up to Sheppard. Am I missing something? I know this is maps/fantasy maps but I am kind of lost

Referencing a fantasy map, someone suggested converting the Spadina streetcar to a subway and extending said converted streetcar north of Bloor (which would be difficult to do anyways).

Has anyone ever thought of running a Dufferin Streetcar up to Eglinton? it would help a lot with the overloading of the bus line, and would add a huge amount to Toronto's streetcar system. I have a feeling there would be few through riders at eglinton once the LRT opens anyways. something like this:

TFKV0eW.jpg

Has anyone ever thought of running a Dufferin Streetcar up to Eglinton? it would help a lot with the overloading of the bus line, and would add a huge amount to Toronto's streetcar system. I have a feeling there would be few through riders at eglinton once the LRT opens anyways. something like this:

TFKV0eW.jpg
Problem:

Dufferin Street is quite steep at Davenport, and is very hilly (with steep hills) between Rogers and Eglinton.

There are some very steep grades along Dufferin and I'm not sure that our LRVs can make them. And then there's the political opposition from our mayor RoFo. But putting those aside, it looks like a great idea.

Back