News   Jul 15, 2024
 184     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Right, that's nfitz point. The author created an approximation and not a scaled down representation of what is actually built. You can't put a single dot on the map for a station like Spadina to cover both lines. That single dot is going to be in the wrong place for one line or the other.

You can't draw the line in the wrong location and call it a scale representation of reality.

This is getting a little ridiculous. The author did an amazing job. So what if he misplaced a station by a few hundred meters? It's certainly not worth all this argument. We might as well be complaining about the inexact curve radius.

Right, that's nfitz point. The author created an approximation and not a scaled down representation of what is actually built. You can't put a single dot on the map for a station like Spadina to cover both lines. That single dot is going to be in the wrong place for one line or the other.

You can't draw the line in the wrong location and call it a scale representation of reality.

So one dot is in the "wrong" location (debatable) and the whole map is wrong? I'm not trying to be a prick but that seems extreme.

A to-scale TTC subway map is hardly a new idea. There are several versions out there already. Heck, just grab a Ride Guide.

Besides, I don't even think it's even particularly accurate. There's a lot of "wobble" going on in the lines and that pretty-much 90 degree turn on the YUS at Spadina just ain't right.

A to-scale TTC subway map is hardly a new idea. There are several versions out there already. Heck, just grab a Ride Guide.

Besides, I don't even think it's even particularly accurate. There's a lot of "wobble" going on in the lines and that pretty-much 90 degree turn on the YUS at Spadina just ain't right.

To-scale makes sense if:

1) You're showing a complete systems map, including surface routes. This would be nearly impossible to show on a schematic map without getting some pretty severe distortions somewhere.

2) You want to make it relevant as a walking guide, or to detail the line or lines in relation to the neighbourhood they're passing through. Basically, if you want to provide scalable context.

Schematic design makes sense if:

1) You want to distort for the purposes of legibility (ex: increasing the size of downtown).

2) You want to decrease the gap along the outer portions of the line so the map fits onto a certain size.

So if you're showing just the RT network on a black background, it doesn't make much sense to do a to-scale map, because there's still no external reference points (ex: an underlaid street grid) to give the scaling any meaning. If you did the RT map plus the streetcar routes, having it to-scale may make sense, because otherwise you'd get some pretty funky distortions with the length of certain routes. But just RT on a black background, you're much better off going with schematic.

Speaking of what could have been I found out that one of the original CN Tower plans called for the demolishing of Union Station and an extension of the subway to Queens Quay. I suppose they may have split the lines then.

No. You have the alignment of the eastern Bloor-Danforth completely off. Everything west of Kennedy is correct. But east of Kennedy, the Danforth line continues along Eglinton, northeast on Danforth Avenue and then north onto McCowan until the new terminus at Sheppard and McCowan.

No. You have the alignment of the eastern Bloor-Danforth completely off. Everything west of Kennedy is correct. But east of Kennedy, the Danforth line continues along Eglinton, northeast on Danforth Avenue and then north onto McCowan until the new terminus at Sheppard and McCowan.

I think by then we will be lucky if the Eglinton line makes it East of Yonge street, the rest it it is more than likely toast thanks to the current political pandering and populism

I think by then we will be lucky if the Eglinton line makes it East of Yonge street, the rest it it is more than likely toast thanks to the current political pandering and populism

I think the tunnel is safe, but the at-grade east of Don Mills could be up in the air.

I feel eglinton and finch are safe, but Sheppard could be on the line. All depends on when the conservatives fire Hudak, and what his replacement thinks of current plans. (Give it up, Hudak can't win an election for the life of him)

Is this better?

(click to enlarge)

I feel eglinton and finch are safe, but Sheppard could be on the line. All depends on when the conservatives fire Hudak, and what his replacement thinks of current plans. (Give it up, Hudak can't win an election for the life of him)

The way things are going now, it looks like the Cons will lose in 2016 as well. Little indication and they want to get rid of Hudak.

Is this better?

(click to enlarge)

Pretty great! Well done! I think the future TTC map with include the Eglinton Crosstown LRT but will only show the underground stations. Also, could you add a Sheppard West extension, the Yonge extension, the Relief Line (from the future Don Mills LRT station to Pape which will probably be renamed Pape-Danforth station and then down to King and St. Andrew stations and then up to Dundas West station), and a Bloor-Danforth west extension from Kipling to Sherway Gardens?

Also, Downsview will be renamed to Sheppard West, then Downsview Park (Sheppard West at the moment) is next and Steeles West will be Black Creek Pioneer Village. :p

Last edited:

Back