News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Pretty great! Well done! I think the future TTC map with include the Eglinton Crosstown LRT but will only show the underground stations. Also, could you add a Sheppard West extension, the Yonge extension, the Relief Line (from the future Don Mills LRT station to Pape which will probably be renamed Pape-Danforth station and then down to King and St. Andrew stations and then up to Dundas West station), and a Bloor-Danforth west extension from Kipling to Sherway Gardens?

Also, Downsview will be renamed to Sheppard West, then Downsview Park (Sheppard West at the moment) is next and Steeles West will be Black Creek Pioneer Village. :p

Is there supposed to be anything between Sheppard-Yonge and Finch West station on the Sheppard line or are they two separate lines (i.e. the grey is a shuttle to Humber College)?

Is there supposed to be anything between Sheppard-Yonge and Finch West station on the Sheppard line or are they two separate lines (i.e. the grey is a shuttle to Humber College)?

There will be nothing connecting the lines. The grey is the Finch West LRT. There are no stations on the line since they are yet to be determined.

Is this better?

(click to enlarge)

Besides the other comments (notably Eglinton West should be written on an angle - on the upper right), I would say that Finch West, Sheppard East and Eglinton from Laird to Kennedy, are all similar LRT's. Sheppard should be shown as a grey line similar to Finch - save the bright colours for the true rapid transit lines. Also, by showing stops for Eglinton, it appears that you are giving it more importance. Unless you plan for this to be grade-separated (elevated?), I would not include any of those stops (i.e. only show the true rapid transit stops) and just show a bale blue line. Finally, I think the consensus is that there will not be a stop in the Danforth and Brimley area - this is where the subway needs to make a curve northwards and TTC does not want to put stations on a curve. Before the curve, the station would be too close to Kennedy and after the curve the station would be too far north of Eglinton.

The stations on the Eglinton LRT are still not aligned with the equivalent stations on the Bloor-Danforth line. For example, look at the difference between Keele North and Keele, Dufferin North and Dufferin, Leslie and Leslie South and Donlands, Don Mills and Don Mills South, Victoria Park and Victoria Park North, and Warden and Warden North.

Besides the other comments (notably Eglinton West should be written on an angle - on the upper right), I would say that Finch West, Sheppard East and Eglinton from Laird to Kennedy, are all similar LRT's. Sheppard should be shown as a grey line similar to Finch - save the bright colours for the true rapid transit lines. Also, by showing stops for Eglinton, it appears that you are giving it more importance. Unless you plan for this to be grade-separated (elevated?), I would not include any of those stops (i.e. only show the true rapid transit stops) and just show a bale blue line. Finally, I think the consensus is that there will not be a stop in the Danforth and Brimley area - this is where the subway needs to make a curve northwards and TTC does not want to put stations on a curve. Before the curve, the station would be too close to Kennedy and after the curve the station would be too far north of Eglinton.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the TTC want to put the station on a curve? It wouldn't be the first station in Toronto that is curved.

The stations on the Eglinton LRT are still not aligned with the equivalent stations on the Bloor-Danforth line. For example, look at the difference between Keele North and Keele, Dufferin North and Dufferin, Leslie and Leslie South and Donlands, Don Mills and Don Mills South, Victoria Park and Victoria Park North, and Warden and Warden North.

The map isn't to scale though. The same thing could be said about our current maps.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I've sorted out most of the problems. The city's not on a perfect grid, and different lines have different kinds of spacing, so there's only so far I can go to make north-south stations align. Anyway, I know it's debatable, but I'm including LRT lines as full lines for the sake of visual simplicity. I think most riders just want to know how to get from A to B, and not the technical particulars of whether a line is considered bona fide "rapid transit" or not. The only reason I haven't added stations for Sheppard East and Finch West is because they haven't been determined yet. There's more than enough room to include them.

Anyway, how much better would this look if Sheppard was one transferless line? I hope they consider converting the entire thing to LRT.

(click to enlarge)

Another thing is that the Sheppard LRT extends to Morningside, not to McCowan. Also, any way you could do a DRL? (Maybe with stations at Carlaw/Queen, Pan ams, (or whatever you want to call it) Parliament, Jarvis, King/Yonge, St. Andrew and Spadina?

The Eglinton LRT should not be drawn as a TTC subway line if it is in fact not a TTC subway line. The TTC subway system has fare-paid zones. If the Eglinton LRT uses the same fare system as the Finch and Sheppard East LRTs (honour fare), then it should be drawn the same way as the Finch West and Sheppard LRTs.

Being underground does not make a line a TTC subway line. After all, much of TTC subway system is above ground.

TTC MAP.jpg

This is what I think is very possible in 30 years or so.

Attachments

• TTC MAP.jpg
    TTC MAP.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 760
  • TTC MAP.jpg
    TTC MAP.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 4,918
Last edited:
That map over doubles our current map's length. I think it is a good goal to reach by 2030, but in reality might be a bit later, maybe 2035.

Another thing is that the Sheppard LRT extends to Morningside, not to McCowan. Also, any way you could do a DRL? (Maybe with stations at Carlaw/Queen, Pan ams, (or whatever you want to call it) Parliament, Jarvis, King/Yonge, St. Andrew and Spadina?

In an effort to shore up support in the GTA, the Harper Government announces that, in addition to all the lines planned for completion around 2020, it will fully finance the immediate construction of the Wellington-Front Line:

(click to enlarge)

It was also announced that as a condition of funding, the station currently planned to be named "Black Creek Pioneer Village" must be changed to "Steeles West" because naming a station "Black Creek Pioneer Village" is incredibly silly.

Back