News   Jul 15, 2024
 235     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 520     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 623     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

If 30 Lambton replaces 40 Junction, then what bus would run along High Park?

By the way, the 40 Junction bus is much more frequent than the 30 Lambton.

I'd beef up service on the new 30 and also the 26 Dupont. Nothing would run along High Park since there's no point running a bus route that short. The point is to make an alternate route in case the subway goes fubar between Kipling/427 and Dundas West. Right now that's a two seat ride.

edit: Or move the 71 to High Park, since both the 71 and 79 run up Runnymede. In this case I'd still beef up the 29 anyways because that route is so inconvenient it's unusable

Last edited:
Quickie map (click, then again for big):

Notes:

-Trenched/at grade extension along railway corridor, tunnel only required to duck under the railway tracks into Sherway station
-Sherway goes underneath the parking lot of the Sears. It could also be at grade, but it would have to go behind the Sears/Chapters which would make it less accessible on foot
-Kipling GO dismantled, moved to Highway 427 GO, a new accessible platform -- Miway, TTC and GO now all at one station
-Although the station is along the railway corridor, the Highway 427 station building would extend to Dundas St to be more pedestrian accessible (like Miway Square One Term)
-Miway/TTC Express buses no longer have to make long procession to Islington/Kipling and back to the 427
-80 Queensway is replaced by Streetcar/LRT

-123 Shorncliffe is put out of its misery for being a dumb route. Replaced by 121 to Long Branch and 111 extension.
-Possible on-street connection to Highway 427 station for 111 extension as it runs to Sherway station
-30 is extended to new station to retain local service on Dundas, is extended on the other end to Dundas West to replace the 40
-Assumes some fare integration so people on the 4 Sherway can transfer to Highway 427 Station
-112 extended to serve a long ignored stretch of road
-Bus bays at Kipling converted into 60ft bays, consuming the new spares
-Bus terminal replaced at Islington

I figure it could be done for under a billion and really improve the area.

Even if the line does not cross 427, it is still a great idea - It helps the MiWay and future Dundas BRT.

I imagine a good part of the benefit to extending the line west of 427 would be to Sherway Gardens Mall and Mississauga (if extended any farther). They would probably have to put up some money to get this built.

I would add a Jane stop as well, that route is heavily trafficked.

drlwestroutemaphalf.jpg

I would add a Jane stop as well, that route is heavily trafficked.

I really had difficulty deciding whether or not I would include the stop at Jane. On one hand there's the Jane bus, but on the other hand, there isn't much around the station location. In the end I figured that the Jane buses would go to Mount Dennis since it would be such an important hub for TTC and GO.

I really had difficulty deciding whether or not I would include the stop at Jane. On one hand there's the Jane bus, but on the other hand, there isn't much around the station location. In the end I figured that the Jane buses would go to Mount Dennis since it would be such an important hub for TTC and GO.

Major trip generators for the Subway has always been bus routes. Putting a station on Jane would be a smart idea.

Made these maps to illustrate the scale of the transit expansion happening in our city. Really puts things into perspective.

This is where we are today:
VSsYQtb.png

This is what we have funded/under construction:
UACyN13.png

This is what will be funded and/or under construction in a few months:
7TILIEE.png

This is what we will likely have in the future:
rU9pJ1C.png

And finally, this is what I would like to see built in the future:
7PH3B6x.png

I see a lot of duplication of service between the Shepard subway and the finch LRT. I think it would be better to just build the subway and have it interline up Spadina to York U, which would allow for a single transfer from the finch LRT onto the Sheppard subway.

I also would like to remind people that the transit tax will bring all day 2 way GO service to every GO line. (Which is quite possibly the part I am most excited about, aside from the DRL)

7PH3B6x.png

This is perfect...The only changes I might add is a possible extension of the Finch LRT to Pearson and if there's money extension of the DRL up to the Mount Dennis LRT station at Weston and Eglinton

My map:

Included:

B-D extension to Hurontario via Sherway Gardens
B-D extension to Sheppard
Sheppard Subway extension to downsview, interlining to York U.
Yonge Extension
DRL from eglinton to the airport via dixon and the rail corridor
Spadina Extension
Sheppard LRT
Finch LRT
Eglinton Crosstown LRT
extension of the exhibition streetcar to Dufferin
waterfront east LRT
St. Clair streetcar extension to Jane
Broadview Ave. streetcar extension to new DRL stop
Hurontario LRT
Hamilton LRT
STC streetcar (really a couple of single car LRVs with non revenue track to the Sheppard LRT running in streetcar like service)
Queensway streetcar ROW

Not On Map:

electrified 15 minute GO on lakeshore from Hamilton to Oshawa
Electrified 15 Minute GO to Downtown Brampton
30 minute service to Mount Joy GO
all day 2 way on remaining lines
300km/h HSR to Ottawa, Montreal, Detroit, with 200km/h Desiel service to New York

7PH3B6x.png

Take Bloor out to the MiWay, 2 Finch RT branches, one to the Wild Water Kingdom/Steeles, and the other to the Airport, Scarborough RT (or Sheppard RT) to the Zoo.

Take Bloor out to the MiWay, 2 Finch RT branches, one to the Wild Water Kingdom/Steeles, and the other to the Airport, Scarborough RT (or Sheppard RT) to the Zoo.

The map wasn't meant to be be a fantasy map. More of a map of what we can realistically expect in the next 15-25 years. The amount of transit expansion in this city is absolutely incredible. There probably isn't a city on the planet going through as much rapid transit expansion as we are.

Back