News   May 03, 2024
 817     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 517     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 256     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

Signed. God I hope this does something.

Even if it turns into a SOS 2, that could be enough for either Miller to get booted out and Transit City to be reworked, or for higher-ups in the government to start demanding subway instead of LRT.

Dream on.

There are better places for a subway now than here.

Considering how much the government has or willing to spend, mostly new lines BRT will be built with a few LRT. Getting a subway is based on who you know in the Government that has some powers to get it built.

The government choke on the first 90 billion plan presented to them and then cut it to 50 billion. Still leaves a 70 Billion short fall for what I have seen that need to be built over the next 20 years to get people out of their cars.

With all these request for GO service outside the RTP area, something has to give by taking longer to get built, down size or more money found to do it.

Will not be supporting petition and construction will not effect Miller or TC plans in 2010 as construction will only be starting on the line, not the 2009 timetable.

I'm not signing this crap. And I hope the group here won't become the incranations of the SOS II.

Stop ruining my Toronto!
I agree.

This action won't get a subway built ... but might reduce support for LRTs.

Those behind this should be deeply ashamed!

Ha Ha ... just read the petition. They goofed it big time. They've addressed it to the City of Toronto! This is a Government of Ontario project now ... it's fully owned by Metrolinx.

Last edited:
My guess is that those who didn't support the Sheppard subway being built in the first place are the ones who aren't supporting this petition.

I agree.

This action won't get a subway built ... but might reduce support for LRTs.

Those behind this should be deeply ashamed!

Ha Ha ... just read the petition. They goofed it big time. They've addressed it to the City of Toronto! This is a Government of Ontario project now ... it's fully owned by Metrolinx.

If you read the body it's addressed to Toronto, TTC, Ontario and Canada. So shows your level of reading comprehension.

^ But you have to admit that the agency that is going to be building, owning and making all decisions related to the line should have a much more prominant place in the text, non?

Perhaps it is fitting that Metrolinx is now in control of the Sheppard LRT. After all, Metrolinx is now merged with GO Transit, and if the goal is to ruin the local transit system, who better than the regional transit agency that hates local transit?

^ But you have to admit that the agency that is going to be building, owning and making all decisions related to the line should have a much more prominant place in the text, non?

Agency? Metrolinx? Metrolinx is a proxy for the Province of Ontario, and everyone knows it. Ontario is in the body of the text, but the Sheppard LRT is a City of Toronto project, not anyone else's, hence when forced to choose one group to address the petition to, I chose the City of Toronto. These decisions are the result of Miller and Giambrone, not the TTC per se.

To the rest of you:

Don't change the topic. Doesn't matter who owns this project. The fact is that it's a great thing that's going on for Toronto and some buffoons are trying to ruin it for the ones among us who truly love this city.

Last edited:
This is a silly idea and I am convinced it will fail.

Also, from an optics perspective, you do understand that the fact that your postal code begins with an 'L' kind of hurts your legitimacy on this issue? The media is unlikely to pay much attention to a dude from Mississauga opposing the expansion of transit in North York & Scarborough. There's no story there - it's pure transit nerd rage without a human element.

But whatever. More petitions! Did you know these so-called trains will stop at TRAFFIC LIGHTS?

The fact is that it's a great thing that's going on for Toronto and some buffoons are trying to ruin it for the ones among us who truly love this city.
It's nice to know that opposing a waste of money that will prevent any real rapid transit in the corridor for at least another fifty years makes everyone against the Sheppard LRT a "buffoon" who is "trying to ruin it for people who truly love the city". I'd love to find out what power gave you the authority to decide who does and does not truly love Toronto.

Let me tell you why people here oppose the Sheppard LRT, since you seem to be under the impression that every anti-SLRT campaigner is the reincarnation of SOS. We oppose it because it is extremely slow (only a few minutes faster than a bus end to end), it forever forces a completely arbitrary transfer at Don Mills, it totally misses Scarborough Centre (one of the largest destinations in the vicinity), and it will do very little to fix transit in that corridor as a result of the three problems above.

I really have no idea why you seem to think that none of the above are legitimate concerns, and why you think that we all hate Toronto and want it to forever be transit-free. We just want rapid transit that is A) rapid, B) lacks transfers where they don't make sense, and C) links major nodes, rather than bypassing them with the express purposes of getting transit in every ward. Even if you can't understand that, at least stop flinging false accusations about nobody here loving Toronto. I love Toronto and I don't even move there for another five days. I just don't want to see the city that I intend to make my home throw away billions on a project that won't fix a single thing.

To the rest of you:

Don't change the topic. Doesn't matter who owns this project. The fact is that it's a great thing that's going on for Toronto and some buffoons are trying to ruin it for the ones among us who truly love this city.
A costly surface-running, non-grade-separated LRT that forces multiple transfers and threatens to break up two or more major transit corridors is not a "great thing that's going on" for the city, and only blinded fools like you will think so. And to keep repeating how you are among the only ones who love this city shows how much of an arrogant, dastardly scoundrel you are.

*Edit: Well said, Panzerfaust.

Last edited:
I find it astonishing how so people here oppose subway extensions into Scarborough...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god, who told you about LRT-proponents' secret hatred of blacks and asians? Once the media gets hold of this, it will be the end of Transit City for sure! You've busted this wide open.

I find it astonishing how so people here oppose subway extensions into Scarborough and support the continued segregation of the poor in Scarborough from the rest of Toronto. I guess "the ones among us who truly love this city" don't want blacks and Asians from Scarborough to "ruin" it. There's no story there - it's pure racist rage without a human element.
Ok, I don't think it has that much to do with racism actually...
It just seems more like a "We're getting a LRT, which is better than sticking with a bus. Those that don't want the LRT are ungrateful little buggers."
Of course, there's a little problem with that logic. That being the fact that Sheppard should be subway from Downsview to STC. Building the SE LRT will also fragment transit service on Sheppard for decades to come, seeing's how nobody's going to campaign to rip out the $1 billion LRT and replace it with subway.

And all this anger is because all you geniuses who signed have already somehow coughed up the money to build this subway of yours?

Well then by all means. Build it.

Draft a contract up that says stop the LRT project and you'll pay to build a subway and I'll sign it in a second.

Or do you propose that we stop the project and then start looking for money, a process of which would probably take the better part of the 15 years? A Or is it your plan just to cannibalize other programs from other parts of the city to fund your silly little tantrum?

And where was all this whining when the city was asking for your opinion about the LRT? There were countless open houses that the TTC spend my money on so you can go to whine and cry about how this program is to the determent of Toronto’s entirety. Where was the petition then? Why weren’t all you transit warriors rallying outside of city hall to show your disapproval when it was in the process of being approved? They've asked for your inputs for over a year and you're only raising up with your concerns now?

Or could it be that the impact of "change" doesn't really start to cast it's shadow until it actually start to happen, and only then do all you social advocates start to realize how scary the big bad "change" actually is?

Keep yelling and banging, I'll remember to wave at you when I'm riding on my brand new LRT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back