News   May 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 723     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.5K     7 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

The most obtuse thing I've seen here is a bunch of Nimby's petitioning to cancel an LRT!
Really? Where did you see that? 'Cause all I see are a bunch of YIMBYs concerned about transit in the city making one last attempt in preventing the piecemeal disaster waiting to happen in the Sheppard corridor.

Not In My Back Yard, but Under it...

Really? 'Cause all I see are a bunch of YIMBYs concerned about transit in the city ...

Yes -- while I find the attempt to derail Sheppard LRT unrealistic and possibly counter-productive I understand how the perspective was reached. The bottom-line intent is to improve the transit network. Some potential petition signers, however, could agree for NIMBY reasons. (Or is it BANANAs? ;^)

Perhaps Nimby is the wrong word. I just don't understand how a sane, intelligent, human would think that trying to petition the end of the LRT is a good idea. The political implications alone of trying to derail a deal between the Feds and the Province makes this nigh impossible.

It's an Ottawa-type move. Note that cancelling the O-Train extension there hasn't lead to anything else happening (I'm sure it will one day ... but they were promising a downtown solution there back when I lived there over 20 years ago!).

The Sheppard LRT isn't perhaps the most necessary line ... but it's not like there was going to be money for a subway expansion ... and even if there was, most of the Sheppard LRT line is east of Kennedy where the subway expansion wouldn't even provide service to. It also doesn't preclude a future expansion.

A petition to cancel it is a huge step backwards. Besides it would never happen, and seriously reduces the credibility of anyone who would promote such a dumb-ass idea.

While I agree with the desire for Sheppard subway extension to SCC, I would agree the opportunity for that has now set. This petition idea is late and should have occurred back when Transit City was first proposed and Scarborough councillors hadn't yet bought in. Now that Scarborough councillors have been silent on opposition for so long, funding has arrived, property is starting to be bought, and construction about to start a petition is unlikely to go anywhere. Without any council member, MPP, or MP support it will at most end up the same as the Save Our St.Clair campaign.

I would support canceling the SE-LRT for any number of reasons and I'm not totally swayed by the logic of "we might as well build it because we can." I really can't see any major redeeming feature on this line and very little that would justify the price. Long term, it will eliminate any possibility of anything good happening on that corridor. Even replacing the subway with LRT, dumb as it is, is superior to the transfer centric crap on the table now.

There was no real reason for the City to prioritize Sheppard over Finch, and no reason why they made the entire Transit City effort contingent on one of its' weakest links. Bureaucracies often do this, coming up with one or two good ideas and taking on a whole bunch of bad ones then making the good things contingent upon the bad being funded. If Giambrone et al structured the project in such an "all or nothing" way, then that is their problem. The very idea of building something stupid along Sheppard so that a more logical line along Finch West is brain dead.

Doing nothing is usually better than doing something stupid. Sheppard East is stupid.

I would support canceling the SE-LRT for any number of reasons and I'm not totally swayed by the logic of "we might as well build it because we can." I really can't see any major redeeming feature on this line and very little that would justify the price. Long term, it will eliminate any possibility of anything good happening on that corridor. Even replacing the subway with LRT, dumb as it is, is superior to the transfer centric crap on the table now.

There was no real reason for the City to prioritize Sheppard over Finch, and no reason why they made the entire Transit City effort contingent on one of its' weakest links. Bureaucracies often do this, coming up with one or two good ideas and taking on a whole bunch of bad ones then making the good things contingent upon the bad being funded. If Giambrone et al structured the project in such an "all or nothing" way, then that is their problem. The very idea of building something stupid along Sheppard so that a more logical line along Finch West is brain dead.

Doing nothing is usually better than doing something stupid. Sheppard East is stupid.

Exactly. Sheppard East is pure bull. I think if you want a Crosstown route in the northern part of the city, sure, build one. But don't carve one out of three different lines (Finch West LRT, Sheppard Subway, Sheppard East LRT). It's so stupid it boggles the mind. But hey I'm not transit expert. I just think it'd be more logical to build an LRT along Finch East and West, and finish the Sheppard subway as it was intended. Less transfers = more happy riders.

Um, do you know what a petition is?
Yes. Something that everyone ignores!

lwlpr04624.jpg

Or at least in the example illustrated ... something that will only lead to death and destruction :)

I'm not signing this crap. And I hope the group here won't become the incranations of the SOS II.

Stop ruining my Toronto!

Last edited:
Though, in retrospect, it is fairly easy to make the case that SOS was right. That probably had more to do with the terrific incompetence of the TTC, but still.

Signed. God I hope this does something.

Even if it turns into a SOS 2, that could be enough for either Miller to get booted out and Transit City to be reworked, or for higher-ups in the government to start demanding subway instead of LRT.

Signed, and posted on FB.

I'm not signing this crap. And I hope the group here won't be the incranations of the SOS II.

Stop ruining my Toronto!
What arrogance, your Toronto? But it's all good, we don't want crap stuck on our petition anyway.

I'm not signing this crap. And I hope the group here won't be the incranations of the SOS II.

Stop ruining my Toronto!

Don't worry, the Sheppard LRT itself will do more damage than a petition ever could. It's the true billion dollar boondoggle.

Back