News   Jun 26, 2024
 180     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 316     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.9K     2 

Transit City Details

Based just on what I've read on this website I think S-Bahning involves diverting apart of a railway running in a straight line to an area of density nearby but not within walking distance of the line; eventually rejoining the wye to the existing line e.g. the Milton Line veering directly into Square One or the Georgetown Line wying into Pearson Airport. Similarly I thought the Sheppard East LRT could break way from Sheppard between Brimley and McCowan hence accessing a major trip generator and fully serving Sheppard at the same time.

Thanks.

Interesting. Unfortunately that's not at all what an "S-bahn" is. For what you describe you use good terms: "wye" and "diversion". What you describe as a possibility for the Sheppard LRT is very common for light rail operations and is part of the wonderful flexibility of light rail as a transit mode.

"S-bahn" is a type of transit operation, like bus, subway, streetcar, or commuter rail (I can understand that things get confused as a "streetcar subway" is different from a "subway", right?). Think of it as being somewhere between a subway and commuter rail (GO). In English it's often referred to as "suburban rail"

I've translated an image from the German Wikipedia "S-Bahn" article which displays the basic difference in planning between it and subways.

subwayvsbahnwj2.jpg

Spadina, like these routes, doesn't run in mixed traffic at all. Congestion is irrelevant, and yet it's still wildly unreliable. I fear the same for Eglinton, except worse since we will have spent well a billion and a half on a tunnel that still has completely unreliable service.
I don't think it'll be as much of a problem on Eglinton. The above ground parts of the Elginton LRT will be in the more suburban areas. Intersections and traffic lights are farther apart, not as many pedestrians, no streetcars crossing the route every few blocks, and the new streetcars will be a lot faster loading.

I think Eglinton will be fine with an LRT - but there should be a Don Mills-Downtown-Weston subway or S-bahn line along with it.

Why on earth would a line that runs along the 401 be a preferred option? How does that help Agincourt? The point isn't to connect A and B, it's to serve everything along the line from A and B...we do not want to repeat the Spadina + Allen combo.

I wasn't thinking about Agincourt or Wishing Well but rather the slowing down of the commute for the NYCC-STC crowd you claim is so high. Only one intermediate (at Kennedy Commons, THINK: Yorkdale Station layout) means a commute at least 4 mins faster and cheaper to build. Combined 85/190 could MORE than handle the 10 or so passengers that load/unload at Kennedy per trip. I seriously doubt the TTC would ever consider anything less than tunnel-burrowing, not even the cut-and-cover method of old. At any rate the Sheppard subway means no LRT for East Scarborough, so the further east the subway goes, oops sorry Malvern, only buses for you.

Interesting. Unfortunately that's not at all what an "S-bahn" is. For what you describe you use good terms: "wye" and "diversion". What you describe as a possibility for the Sheppard LRT is very common for light rail operations and is part of the wonderful flexibility of light rail as a transit mode.

S-Bahn is kinda like the SRT then? I don't see why Sheppard couldn't do both STC then rejoin Sheppard at some point east (the SRT extension could in fact become a part of the Sheppard Line). Other places this could work well is for Pearson utilizing the Hydro Corridor and/or Hwy 427 from Kipling Stn and downtown with a line through the rail corridor and partially along Queen St.
Eglinton should be a subway in entirity. West of Guestville Ave it can surface for good, but points east it'd complicate travel to have it surface into traffic congestion and gridlock.

At any rate the Sheppard subway means no LRT for East Scarborough, so the further east the subway goes, oops sorry Malvern, only buses for you.
No it doesn't. If the subway continues to STC, a light rail network can radiate out east and north from there.

I seriously doubt the TTC would ever consider anything less than tunnel-burrowing, not even the cut-and-cover method of old.

Perhaps, but why? Why does the TTC insist on using a much more expensive method. The only possible, if unlikely, reason I can think is that they want to make subways more expensive when compared to preferred LRT systems.

At any rate the Sheppard subway means no LRT for East Scarborough, so the further east the subway goes, oops sorry Malvern, only buses for you.

Instead of oops, sorry Scarborough Centre, only buses for you? Scarborough Centre has tens of thousand more residents, jobs, riders, and connecting transit routes than Malvern. It's the obvious terminus for a suway.

As Mister F said, there's no reason why LRT couldn't radiate outward from Scarborough City Centre, like up McCowan, east on Ellesmere, or perhaps up to Malvern. I think that Malvern could be best served by shoulder bus lanes on the 401, allowing for a Nielson and Morningside express route along the 401 to STC. This would provide a significantly faster and infinitely cheaper trip than the RT extension to Markham and Sheppard for people from the heart of Malvern and Morningside Heights.

S-Bahn is kinda like the SRT then?

S-Bahn is nothing like SRT. S-Bahn is like GO Transit, except much more frequent and usually with somewhat smaller, multiple unit (as opposed to locomotive-hauled) vehicles. S-Bahn trains use existing railway lines.

Back