News   Jun 28, 2024
 3K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

Transit City Details

I wasn't thinking about Agincourt or Wishing Well but rather the slowing down of the commute for the NYCC-STC crowd you claim is so high. Only one intermediate (at Kennedy Commons, THINK: Yorkdale Station layout) means a commute at least 4 mins faster and cheaper to build. Combined 85/190 could MORE than handle the 10 or so passengers that load/unload at Kennedy per trip. I seriously doubt the TTC would ever consider anything less than tunnel-burrowing, not even the cut-and-cover method of old. At any rate the Sheppard subway means no LRT for East Scarborough, so the further east the subway goes, oops sorry Malvern, only buses for you.

I'm not at all surprised that you weren't thinking about Agincourt. The purpose of the Sheppard line is not to take you directly from STC to Yonge Street, it's to serve everything along the way, too. I've never claimed that it should be built because of STC-NYCC traffic (compare this to the Eglinton line, which many people support solely because it goes 'all the way across the city'). I've *always* claimed that a subway extension is warranted because of what's between Fairview and STC. If you've ever been on the 190, you'd know that plenty of people get on and off at every single stop...this proves that the extension's stops will be used.

A station at Agincourt Mall/Allanford would actually be one of the busier stations in the entire subway system. If the Birchmount bus runs to a Warden station, that station will also be quite busy. A station at the Stouffville/Midtown interchange would also be extremely useful for travel all over the eastern half the of GTA. Stations in the middle of the 401 would be used less than Glencairn - even the bus connections would be inconvenient.

The Sheppard extension does not mean anything as far as affecting other projects goes - it's actually cheaper than the $2 billion streetcar/RT combo proposed for Malvern.

Here was Giambrone's response to my letter. I love how absolutely no details of the plan are revealed other than the fact that it is after some kind of 'european model'. Connexions (read: Transfers) are apparently a good thing.

--------------

Dear Mr. Hall,

Thank you for your email, and sharing your concerns. Transit City is following a European model with the light-rail lines, and there will be connections to the surrounding transit systems. To answer one of your concerns, the Sheppard East EA will be happening over the next 6 months. I encourage you to visit transitcity.ca for more information.

Feel free to contact our office at 416-392-7012 in the future if you should require further assistance and/or have further suggestions on this or other matters.

Yours truly,

Adam Giambrone
Chair, Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)
Toronto City Councillor
Ward 18 Davenport

I have to say, this "Transfer City" moniker really hits home. If Giambrone realizes that "Giambrone's Transfer City" may be his legacy, not "Transit City", I can't help but think that might be some semblance of a wake up call.

"But it's European! European how? You know... with light rail and stuff. Stuff like connections... and stops... and... uhhh... light rail (oh, I mentioned that already). Well, trust me... I've been to Europe and I can assure you that they do in fact have light rail so therefore this is a European model."

I find this Transit City thing extremely frustrating. What bothers me even more is that Mr. Giambrone thinks he's all pro-transit and hip whereas he's actually shooting Toronto in the foot when it comes to investing in transit. How we ended up with two subways to York Region and no subway to Scarborough Town Centre I'll never understand.

So for those of you who would so prefer subway construction ... why Sheppard. Spadina extension and Yonge extension in North York are already a go. And you want another North York subway project?

Isn't there anywhere else in Toronto other than North York that would perhaps be more deserving of subway construction?

The thing is, these people are all extremely well-intentioned. Giambrone, Miller, Mihevc, etc. are all true believers in transit, and genuinely want the best for the TTC. The problem is that they maybe haven't thought all of these things through as much as they should have. They're not as familiar with neighbourhoods that will be served by the new Transit City lines. They want to create streetcar suburbs all over the city, which is a very laudable goal, but that's much easier said than done. They're also a bit caught up in the streetcar fervor that has swept over Toronto's transit advocates the past little while. Because they're so active and interested in the TTC and transit issues, it's hard for them to take a dispassionate look at all the different modes and options. It's sad that our choice in the city is between people who don't care about transit and people who love it too much.

nfitz: I agree. Scarborough desperately needs a subway extension. The Sheppard extension is almost entirely in Scarborough. I also think that the RT should be replaced by subway, perhaps as the top priority project citywide. Beyond that, I have a pretty indisputably long record of advocating a variation of the Network 2011 Downtown Relief Line plan as a sensible and realistic subway option.

Yes, Sheppard East in Scarborough "deserves" a subway extension...and it must go through North York to get there. If Eglinton in Etobicoke or Scarborough were to get a subway, it'd have to go through North York to get there, too. That's what happens when North York is in the middle of the city.

Two subways to Vaughan may seem unfair/silly but the fact that STC isn't getting a subway extension doesn't mean the two 'to-York' projects aren't worth it. Even if all these extensions were built, plus a DRL, Eglinton, etc., it's not like that'd be the end of transit projects...there'd still be a need for GO/commuter improvements, some LRT (like maybe Kipling or Lawrence East, plus ones underway, like Finch West, Kingston), etc.

Sheppard never should have been built. It should always have been LRT... and LRT is commonly used in European cities; Oporto serves as an obvious example, but there are many more.

I am, however, not entirely sure as to why the Sheppard subway cannot be converted to LRT... Could we not lower the built stations, thus foregoing the transfer scenario?

Maybe we should use our combined Urban Toronto power to start sending some letters? Maybe start a pro-subway (but not anti-streetcar Facebook group)? It'll at least get someone an interview on CFRB. Every other Facebook group seems to. Also, starting a petition couldn't hurt. It probably won't help either, but it seems to me that the Steve Munro-types have sort of taken control of the pro-transit agenda and I don't think that anyone in the media (or City Hall) is even aware that there's other pro-transit opinions out there.

Joe Clark seems to have received quite a bit of attention and achieved some success with his TTC Signs letter-writing/web campaign. Perhaps UT can do something similar or even link up with him? He's not exactly a fan of Steve Munro either.

With the wealth of articulate transit minds here, you'd think a similarly focused UT effort would make some sort of difference and I wholeheartedly agree with including the GTTA and the province since city officials appear less than receptive, not to mention the TTC.

S-Bahn is like GO Transit, except much more frequent and usually with somewhat smaller, multiple unit (as opposed to locomotive-hauled) vehicles. S-Bahn trains use existing railway lines.

:eek: Okay I get it now! So like if Midtown had a commuter train service it'd be S-Bahn.

As Mister F said, there's no reason why LRT couldn't radiate outward from Scarborough City Centre, like up McCowan, east on Ellesmere, or perhaps up to Malvern. I think that Malvern could be best served by shoulder bus lanes on the 401, allowing for a Nielson and Morningside express route along the 401 to STC. This would provide a significantly faster and infinitely cheaper trip than the RT extension to Markham and Sheppard for people from the heart of Malvern and Morningside Heights.

Couldn't that same logic be applied to the SRT? Why couldn't the ICTS service be extended to Sheppard meeting either subway or LRT from there? Oh I forgot we're allergic to transfers here :p. Anyway, the SRT extension wouldn't just benefit Malvernites. 95 users would benefit from stops adjacent to Ellesmere, Centennial College users at Progress and Milner Business Ct and new townhouse developments just south of Sheppard. I don't think it's a good idea to route buses along the highway since gridlock can severely slow down commutes (THINK: 139 Finch E-Don Mills), and as for Ellesmere why would anyone waste millions constructing LRT through vacant fields and rolling hills and valleys? 133/38 is only 10 mins to Neilson and 15 to UTSC.

The Sheppard extension does not mean anything as far as affecting other projects goes - it's actually cheaper than the $2 billion streetcar/RT combo proposed for Malvern.

Sure it doesn't, it's only after the project's underway or cancelled we'll know for certain. I put my faith in the TTC/City's transit promises like the likelihood pigs will actually fly someday.

A station at Agincourt Mall/Allanford would actually be one of the busier stations in the entire subway system. If the Birchmount bus runs to a Warden station, that station will also be quite busy. A station at the Stouffville/Midtown interchange would also be extremely useful for travel all over the eastern half the of GTA. Stations in the middle of the 401 would be used less than Glencairn - even the bus connections would be inconvenient.

Isn't Birchmount just a block west of Allenford, so why would the 17 be routed to Warden? An underground walkway more than suffices. My suggestion only included one mid-point station at Kennedy which would actually intercept more transitways than Sheppard/Agincourt would (Midtown/Stoufville/401/SRT/43) plus a major commercial zone with hotels and high rises nearby. Looking at the offical proposals its not out of the realm of possibility to serve BOTH Agincourt (the mall, not the GO Stn.) and Kennedy Commons with a station akin to Oriole GO built to accomodate commuter rail traffic.

Beyond that, I have a pretty indisputably long record of advocating a variation of the Network 2011 Downtown Relief Line plan as a sensible and realistic subway option.

Parts of DRL make sense, but increased frequency and GO improvements to the Geogretown and Richmond Hill lines is far cheaper and more logical than creating one redundant subway line after the other. If Eglinton is built with a wye between Leslie St and Bermondsey Rd to encompass the Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park and Don Mills communties than the major parts of route 25 are covered (BD close to Gerrard Sq, Greektown and Pape Vlg; Sheppard close to Fairview, Newmark and Seneca College).

I am, however, not entirely sure as to why the Sheppard subway cannot be converted to LRT... Could we not lower the built stations, thus foregoing the transfer scenario?

That's the sillest part about this whole debate. Conversion would eliminate the transfer issue but most people believe it'd be more expensive to redesign the existing stations to accomadte low-floor vehicles than it is to construct 7 brand new underground stations.

I certainly am not as knowledgeable about transit as most people here but the reason I'm pro-subway is that it is fundamental to a long-term solution for rapid public transit. The speed and grade separation associated with subway infrastructure is just unbeatable as is the psychological influence of stability and security associated with it. I would invest in property or locate my business on the basis of proximity to subway infrastructure but not LRT or bus routes, they don't and can't have the same impact on the built form of the city. I think people should be careful to declare the failure of the sheppard subway stub now. If you take the long view the ridership numbers of today become meaningless next to it's impact on future travelling and development patterns. I'm all for improving all aspects of the system which may very well include LRT routes but my problem is that I associate a strategic abandonment of subway system expansion as an abandonment of long-term planning objectives.

Sure it doesn't, it's only after the project's underway or cancelled we'll know for certain. I put my faith in the TTC/City's transit promises like the likelihood pigs will actually fly someday.

At least there is one thing you have in common with the rest of us here.

Isn't Birchmount just a block west of Allenford, so why would the 17 be routed to Warden? An underground walkway more than suffices. My suggestion only included one mid-point station at Kennedy which would actually intercept more transitways than Sheppard/Agincourt would (Midtown/Stoufville/401/SRT/43) plus a major commercial zone with hotels and high rises nearby. Looking at the offical proposals its not out of the realm of possibility to serve BOTH Agincourt (the mall, not the GO Stn.) and Kennedy Commons with a station akin to Oriole GO built to accomodate commuter rail traffic.

No real argument here. Just gonna say that Birchmount is a block west of Allanford as you stated and the actual TTC station is supposed to be located in the Tridel Metrogate project (due to it being the first Green LEED project something or other). This will be just north of the hotel.

The reason why Shepperd subway can't be remade to LRT is due to traffic issues. Past Bayview we only have 2 very narrow lanes till Yonge (and thanks to bad zoning/planning, it can't be widened, this section was the whole reason for the subway in the first place. Bayview > Yonge would take 45min-1hour during rush hour on the express, 85E). If it was underground LRT I could see it happening but if that's the case... why bother? Costwise, it's still smarter to use the money that would have been spent on LRT to extend the Shepperd subway as far as possible towards STC if not to STC and use bus the rest of the way instead of making an LRT. To take a page from SH, the "stubway" is already there.

:eek: Okay I get it now! So like if Midtown had a commuter train service it'd be S-Bahn.

Not necessarily, if it just operates with regular GO trains during the peak periods. If it operates at ~20 minute frequencies throughout the day, is electrified, and uses smaller vehicles, then it would be an S-Bahn service. Lakeshore or any of the other GO lines could also have S-Bahn-style service.

Couldn't that same logic be applied to the SRT? Why couldn't the ICTS service be extended to Sheppard meeting either subway or LRT from there? Oh I forgot we're allergic to transfers here :p.

But how would that benefit anyone? And why would we extend a technology that's unique in Toronto and that people don't like, instead of a subway that's already built and uses a technology that the TTC operates well and that everyone likes?

Anyway, the SRT extension wouldn't just benefit Malvernites. 95 users would benefit from stops adjacent to Ellesmere, Centennial College users at Progress and Milner Business Ct and new townhouse developments just south of Sheppard.

Yeah, the only place in the whole city that Toronto thinks needs new rapid transit is a couple of townhouses at Markham and Sheppard. Literally, a handful of townhouses.

None of the stations are close to Ellesmere. If people from the 95 wanted to transfer to the RT, it would still be a shorter transfer at Ellesmere station. It's a pretty long walk to Centennial College, too. The old reports on the extension said that many of the college riders would be unhappy with the extension, because they much prefer the buses that go right into the campus, especially later in the evening where safety's a concern.

I don't think it's a good idea to route buses along the highway since gridlock can severely slow down commutes (THINK: 139 Finch E-Don Mills), and as for Ellesmere why would anyone waste millions constructing LRT through vacant fields and rolling hills and valleys?

Uhh, vacant fields and rolling hills and valleys...like Morningside that has a Transit City line? Anyway, Ellesmere has three full-service bus routes, and several significant trip generators like UTSC and the hospital which make it a good place for an LRT feeder route.

As for the highway, I've said about a dozen times that it should have shoulder bus lanes like on the 403 in Mississauga so that it doesn't get caught in traffic.

My suggestion only included one mid-point station at Kennedy which would actually intercept more transitways than Sheppard/Agincourt would (Midtown/Stoufville/401/SRT/43) plus a major commercial zone with hotels and high rises nearby. Looking at the offical proposals its not out of the realm of possibility to serve BOTH Agincourt (the mall, not the GO Stn.) and Kennedy Commons with a station akin to Oriole GO built to accomodate commuter rail traffic.

All of that was already planned as part of the subway extension.

Parts of DRL make sense, but increased frequency and GO improvements to the Geogretown and Richmond Hill lines is far cheaper and more logical than creating one redundant subway line after the other. If Eglinton is built with a wye between Leslie St and Bermondsey Rd to encompass the Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park and Don Mills communties than the major parts of route 25 are covered (BD close to Gerrard Sq, Greektown and Pape Vlg; Sheppard close to Fairview, Newmark and Seneca College).

The point of the DRL is not just to get subways (or LRT!) close to different neighbourhoods. It's about getting people where they want to go without too much overcrowding. The Yonge line south of Bloor is already at capacity, so we really need something to relieve it. DRT will relieve the Yonge line, as well as serving fast-growing waterfront neighbourhoods and Riverdale. North of Danforth, it can further relieve the Yonge line as well as many of the east-west bus routes. People from Lawrence East would no longer have their long journey to Eglinton station. It could save them close to 15 minutes, depending on where they're going.

The Richmond Hill line doesn't and can't practically connect with the Danforth line, so it can't provide any relief for the Yonge line south of Bloor. Improved service on both those routes is a given, though.

That's the sillest part about this whole debate. Conversion would eliminate the transfer issue but most people believe it'd be more expensive to redesign the existing stations to accomadte low-floor vehicles than it is to construct 7 brand new underground stations.[/QUOTE]

Back