News   Jul 15, 2024
 735     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 627     0 

Tory Plan to Boost Alberta, BC in Parliament, Reduce Ontario

Personally I'm not a big fan of ridings crossing municipal borders, at least not when you have large cities. I'm not really familiar with York Region I admit, but I feel Scarborough shouldn't have to share any ridings with Markham.

It already shares one with Pickering. North Scarborough and South Markham are just about as integrated as municipal border regions get in the GTA...it makes far more sense to join Milliken in Scarborough with Markham than with Malvern. Markham is well-suited to being sliced up into multiple ridings shared with other cities.

CC: Only half of Brampton-Springdale is Springdale though. Most is actually still Bramalea. Maybe Brampton-Bramalea North-Springdale?

Needs more hyphens. Need to recognize Heart Lake.

I'd go with Brampton-Bramalea North-Heart Lake-Springdale.

I'd also try to keep Downtown Brampton in one riding, rather than split into three. Brampton-Bramalea North-Heart Lake-Springdale is much too big population wise, I'd shift the western boundary east to Kennedy from Queen to Bovaird. Brampton-Churchville might be slightly too small, so I'd shift to include the area between Kennedy, Williams and McLaughlin. And rename it Brampton Centre-Churchville.

Brampton-Bramalea might be too industrial too. I could see the boundary move west and/or north somewhat.

I could also see Caledon and Orangeville becoming one riding, as a true exurban Toronto riding, and casting away the more rural Dufferin county townships and Erin Township.

Last edited:
I could also see Caledon and Orangeville becoming one riding, as a true exurban Toronto riding, and casting away the more rural Dufferin county townships and Erin Township.

Erin was already distributed away last time. (You're forgiven.)

I wish they'd adopt a 'Brampton standard' instead of a 'Quebec standard' so that New Brunswick could get a riding called Tobique-Mactaquac-Kouchibouguac-Shediac.

Ack.

Brampton-Gore Riding would be mine. That would be 100% Indian dominated seat...

Anyways, Bramalea Gore has hardly any one living it you know...
Its all retail and industrial in that whole riding.

What do you mean? The residential heart of Bramalea (i.e. girded by 410/Bovaird/Torbram/Steeles) could well accomodate a riding in its own right; and if not, then the Gore would do the trick.

Why not Etobicoke North-Malton?

Rexdale-Malton would work. Rexdale and Malton tend to have more in common than Malton-Mississauga and Rexdale-Etobicoke (and I don't just mean that with a negative connotation, they just seriously do have a lot in common).

Rexdale-Malton would be too big, though, assuming Etobicoke North minus the Dixon area south of the 401, plus Malton, is what forms the riding.

Hard to tell--Etobicoke North is one of the lower-voting GTA ridings out there...

Thought it was time to bring this thread back from the dead.

Article:

Ontario to get 18 more seats in House of Commons
Parliament overhaul boosts strength of Ontario, B.C. and Alberta

Susan Delacourt
Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA – Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s government has given Ontario two surprise gifts – 18 additional members of Parliament and an admission that the province was badly treated in previous attempts to overhaul the Commons.

Many of the new MPs will likely be in the GTA, particularly in the suburbs, where Conservatives have been keen to form a strong base in Ontario.

In legislation unveiled on Thursday by Steven Fletcher, Minister of State of Democratic Reform, Ontario was given 18 additional seats – nearly double the 10 that were offered the last time the federal government tried to adjust representation in the Commons.

“Canadians living in Ontario were saying they were being treated differently than Canadians in other faster-growing provinces,” Fletcher said. “We reflected on that and it turns out that there was a case to be made.”

British Columbia has been given seven new seats and Alberta five additional MPs, in further recognition of the need for the fastest-growing provinces to be better served in Parliament.

That’s a gain of 30 seats overall in the Commons, bringing the total up to 338 MPs.

The added clout for regions, in particular the Greater Toronto Area and Ontario, which are more known as Liberal strongholds, raises questions about why the Conservatives would want to hand their opponents added strength. But much will depend, says Liberal MP Dominic LeBlanc, on how the new electoral map is drawn.

“I certainly don’t think Mr. Harper is Mr. Popularity in Ontario,” LeBlanc said. “But if Steven Fletcher and some … fundraisers and pollsters are allocating the seats, it will be a lot less legitimate.”

LeBlanc also quipped that Harper has to do more than add seats to Parliament to show his regard for it. “Mr. Fletcher can keep adding seats to the House of Commons, but if his boss keeps shutting it down, it just creates longer lineups at Ottawa airport when everybody’s scrambling to get out of town.”

The new riding boundaries, however, won’t be drawn until 2011 and are unlikely to come into force until at least 2012, which means that there will probably be at least one election before the expansion of the battlegrounds in Ontario, B.C. and Alberta.

At Queen’s Park, Ontario Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Monique Smith, who learned of the proposed changes from reporters in a scrum, said “on first blush it’s looking like it’s fair.”

“But we do want to look at how the numbers roll out province by province before we determine whether or not we are getting our proportional fair share on a national level,” Smith said.

“Originally, we were looking for a total of 127 (federal seats, up from 106); this brings us to a total of 125, so we think it’s in the range,” she said.

Fletcher says he hopes the opposition parties will endorse the bill.

LeBlanc called it “a much better effort” than the last bill, which drew anger from the Liberal caucus especially because so much of its caucus comes from Ontario, especially the GTA.

Last month, the Mowat Centre in Ontario released a study showing that Canada was one of the worst countries in living up to the principles of representation by population. It found that 61 per cent of Canadians were actually under-represented in the Commons, particularly visible-minority communities in large urban centres.

“Canadians deserve better. Our government deeply believes that each vote in Canadian elections should carry equal weight to the greatest extent possible,” Fletcher told reporters.

Matthew Mendelsohn, author of the Mowat Centre’s report, said Thursday that the new legislation almost completely replies to the concerns raised in their findings. He says that the new force of Ontario, B.C. and Alberta could have interesting implications for politics in Canada – affecting the delicate urban-rural balance, especially.

“I do think the politics of Canada has overemphasized the concerns of smaller regional populations, because they had more voting power,” Mendelsohn said. “But now governments have to pay attention to the concerns of those voters (in the strengthened provinces) in a fairer and more proportional way.”

Fletcher wouldn’t be drawn into questions about why only 10 new seats were offered in 2007, saying only that it was an improvement over the mere four originally envisioned in the overhaul. The new figure of 18 was obtained when the Harper government simply decided to throw out the old formula for determining Commons expansion – devised in 1985 – and come up with a whole new way of adding numbers to the chamber to reflect the growing population.

Pure representation by population is almost impossible in Canada because the Constitution guarantees that no province can have fewer MPs than it has senators. That means Prince Edward Island, with about 141,000 people, is assured of four MPs — or one for every 35,000 people.

If that ratio were accepted nationally, it would require more than 970 MPs.

The controversy surrounding this new bill may come from Quebec, which will lose proportional clout as Ontario, B.C. and Alberta gain strength in the Commons. Fletcher insisted that Quebec’s seats are protected and that Quebec’s citizens actually will still have a relative advantage over many other provinces in terms of voters per riding. Mendelsohn says Quebec’s reduced proportion is inevitable for the plain reason that the province’s population is shrinking, relative to other provinces.

Fletcher said he’s not worried about criticism about growing the size of Parliament, arguing that citizens care about fair democratic representation. Nor is he concerned about the difficulties of squeezing more MPs into an already crowded Commons, saying he’s been told that the current chamber could accommodate around 374 MPs.

With files from Rob Benzie and The Canadian Press

So guys we have 18 seats to redistribute within Ontario. Let's get cracking and drawing those lines!

EDIT: Mississauga has over 700,000 people. I made a map and gave Mississauga 7 seats. That'll still be an average of over 100,000 people per riding, but at least the ridings will all reside within the city. I made my ridings (roughly) based on the old towns of Mississauga since I don't actually know the old boundaries I had to guess.

4482949907_c99db5690e_o.gif

I kept the current naming scheme

Mississauga--Clarkson
Mississauga--Cooksville
Mississauga--Erindale
Mississauga--Malton
Mississauga--Meadowvale
Mississauga--Port Credit
Mississauga--Streetsville

but we could just ditch the "Mississauga" part of the names and get the following

Clarkson--Lorne Park
Cooksville
Erindale--Erin Mills
Malton
Meadowvale--Olde Meadowvale
Port Credit--Lakeview
Streetsville

Last edited:
Notice among other things that you paradoxically split Port Credit in two on behalf of Mississauga Port Credit.

I'd probably anticipate a more banal redistribution, i.e. something like retaining Mississauga South, but confining it south of the QEW...

I'm not sure we'll see a real redressing of the urban-rural divide we see in Ontario. I expect many of these seats to end up in the hinterland, which is probably what the Tories are counting on, too.

Notice among other things that you paradoxically split Port Credit in two on behalf of Mississauga Port Credit.

I'd probably anticipate a more banal redistribution, i.e. something like retaining Mississauga South, but confining it south of the QEW...

Yeah I know I split Port Credit in two by using the Credit River as the dividing line. I don't know what the actual boundary between Port Credit and Lorne Park/Clarkson is. I'd rather not keep "Mississauga South" though. Mississauga will probably be getting 7 seats so it lines up well with the former towns/villages. Toronto doesn't have many ridings that actually have the word "Toronto" in them so that's the reasoning behind my alternative names for the ridings.

Is south-of-Dundas Mississauga even where most of the growth's occuring? Lakesview's actually losing residents. The NW segment is where the boom's occuring, so if ever they gerrymander Sauga the new ridings will be: Mississuaga Centre (following Hurontario from C. Pkwy to the Brampton border bounded by Mavis and C. Pkwy/Kennedy), Erin Mills-Streetsville (bound by Mavis, 403, Ninth Line, Britannia), and Meadowvale for the areas north of Britannia and west of Mavis.

You are correct that south Mississauga is losing residents, if anything. But I felt it more important to have one riding for each area rather than try to give each riding equivalent people. What's the big deal if Mississauga--Clarkson and Mississauga--Port Credit have, say 95,000 residents each and some of the other areas have 100,000? I'd rather keep the districts sensible. In your example you wanted to include Meadowvale as everything north of Britannia and west of Mavis. A lot of that isn't Meadowvale at all. For example, Creditview & Britannia where I live is never called Meadowvale. The city calls it East Credit. In my map you can see how I clearly kept Meadowvale and Old Meadowvale Village together in one riding, but kept parts of what is traditionally called Streetsville together.

What I don't want to happen in a redistribution is 1) sharing ridings with Brampton or any neighbouring city and 2) boundaries that don't respect the traditional definitions of Port Credit, Streetsville, Meadowvale, Cooksville, Malton, Clarkson, Erindale, etc.

Back