Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

So tired of the Yonge Express Subway idea. I'm as big a subway supporter as there is, and I'm totally against it. Build out our entire subway system before even considering something like this.

It's like if Lakeshore went to 15-minute service while no other GO lines had train service beyond rush hour...

This is for the current moment though. The second train is usually pretty packed itself especially after St. Clair, and has a tendency of being flooded by B-D people that couldn't get on the first train. With current growth trends and the opening of the Crosstown and maybe the YNSE, it will get worse. The time to plan relief for the line is now, before the YUS is at peak north and south of Bloor too.

I don't look forward to it. Shuttle buses on Yonge between Eglinton and St. Clair? :eek: I'll have to begin my commute an extra 20 minutes earlier for like two months.

Has the TTC ever stated what they are going to do to move passengers in the interim? I suspect converting one lane on Yonge between Eglinton and St. Clair for shuttle buses would be the logical solution. How will that work though, with both north and south bound buses?

Yup I agree that relief is needed, of course. I actually think the Crosstown makes it easier for those of us who live along Eglinton to choose between the Spadina line or Yonge line, or future N/S lines. I'm slightly east of Yonge, I would just stay on the Crosstown a few extra stops to get to Eglinton West. Currently I'd have to switch buses at Yonge, and of course the LRT will be much faster & more comfortable.

The current plan is actually not to close that section down for two months:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra..._to_close_yonge_subway_for_2month_repair.html

However the article states that the speed restriction will be lifted in the next couple of years.

So tired of the Yonge Express Subway idea. I'm as big a subway supporter as there is, and I'm totally against it. Build out our entire subway system before even considering something like this.

I did say it would be at the very least it would be nearly half a century before we even have to consider having a discussion about building this thing. Most of us won't be alive by that time. I can't stress this enough. In no way am I suggesting actually building this anytime soon. That would be insanity.

Last edited:
Yup I agree that relief is needed, of course. I actually think the Crosstown makes it easier for those of us who live along Eglinton to choose between the Spadina line or Yonge line, or future N/S lines. I'm slightly east of Yonge, I would just stay on the Crosstown a few extra stops to get to Eglinton West. Currently I'd have to switch buses at Yonge, and of course the LRT will be much faster & more comfortable.

The current plan is actually not to close that section down for two months:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra..._to_close_yonge_subway_for_2month_repair.html

However the article states that the speed restriction will be lifted in the next couple of years.
Oh, we are almost neighbors then. Unfortunately the Crosstown won't be completed until years after I graduate and even if it did I'd still have to use the Yonge line anyway. But you are right, it just dawned on me once completed I'd have easy access to the Spadina line now. Transferring buses on Yonge-Eg is a pain, I'd rather just go around Union if in non-rush hour.

It would take 250 new buses and 400 drivers to accommodate those riders on the surface, which simply isn’t feasible, says a memo from TTC CEO Andy Byford to the transit board.

From the article. So its not feasible at all. :p

If they are working only with weekend closures though, it would take much longer to get everything done. I am curious as to how this would work as it is my understanding that they need to redo the entire trackbed. Would they do one area over the weekend and abandon it during the week?

From the article. So its not feasible at all. :p

If they are working only with weekend closures though, it would take much longer to get everything done. I am curious as to how this would work as it is my understanding that they need to redo the entire trackbed. Would they do one area over the weekend and abandon it during the week?

It would be an interesting experiment. 250 bus BRT on Yonge :eek:

I'm not even sure how such a thing can be built in the first place. I look at the mess at Union station and all they are doing is adding a second platform. How would you build an entire new station underneath an existing one?

I'm not even sure how such a thing can be built in the first place. I look at the mess at Union station and all they are doing is adding a second platform. How would you build an entire new station underneath an existing one?

I have no idea. The logistics would be hellish. The tunnels would have to be ridiculously deep if we wanted to build it right under the existing subway.

union has a whole lot more stuff below it. PATH, Union station itself, parking garages, etc. As always, its probably possible, but the question is if it is worth it.

Finch LRT

That's what they are. There's room to make them faster and add priority signals to those line, not have them go through the same cycles as St.Clair. There's room for fewer stops. I'm not against LRT on Finch. I don't get the obsession of building an LRT on Sheppard before everything else.

Do not bild LRT on Finch! Busses are sufficient enough. Use the money for other projects , like West Lakefront LRT.

Well we will see at Yonge and Eglinton over the next few years how feasible it would be for all the other stations.

Sheppard and Eglinton would need a third platform and not even mentioning Bloor where the task seems almost impossible if we can't even consider expanding the size of the platform there today. Maybe a stop at Bay Station rather than Bloor-Yonge instead?

Back