Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I was wondering what a PPUDO was as well.

Thanks for those links. I know its a York Region document but it would have been nice to include the details for Cummer/Drewry. Are they anywhere?

You will be assimulated

Extending the subway into York Region because the residents along the route want to use it. Sounds simple. However, the Toronto Transit Commission is a Toronto based commission, department, segment, etc., whatever you want to call it.

If the residents along the proposed route want a Yonge extension, and the Spadina extension as well, then they should become part of the City of Toronto. I say that the area affected by the proposed routes should be annexed by the city of Toronto, if they want to use the assets of the city of Toronto, especially the TTC.

So the question is how much of York Region should be annexed, if the residents want the subway to serve them? If you don't want to be annexed, then no subway service.

No LRT service either, if Jane and Don Mills residents in York Region want it as well, unless they are annexed.

So the question is how much of York Region should be annexed, if the residents want the subway to serve them? If you don't want to be annexed, then no subway service.

That's ridiculous. First of all, why in the world would Toronto want to annex a chunk of land with lower tax revenues than expected upcoming costs (think 50's through 70's underground utilities coming due for billions of dollars worth of upgrades and repairs).

Second we already have dozens of TTC bus routes running in other regions via contract. The region pays the hourly calculated expense (which includes capital equipment, maintenance, operations, etc.) and subtracts the estimated fare collected.

Subway capital is being funded, in part, by the region it is in (York Region tax payers!) and will very likely fall under similar operations funding rules as the numerous bus lines mentioned above.

Your megalomania is showing.

The funding issues arising from TTC's subway or LRT lines operating north of Steeles can be addressed by proper funding arrangements. It is a lot easier than to redraw the municipal boundaries.

Upload the TTC, and all the other transit agencies, to to a regional body with the power to levy taxes on the region. Problem solved.

Upload the TTC, and all the other transit agencies, to to a regional body with the power to levy taxes on the region. Problem solved.

Last time that happened core service was cut and suburban service was boosted.

I expect this would result in 20 minute service guaranteed to everybody in Toronto, with service cuts to everything currently over that mark.

York Region can always cede a few tiny parcels of land just enough to fit the subway station footprints. Ensure the station's phones are wired appropriately to have a 647 code.

Then the problem would no longer exist, because the subway is kept within the 416.

York Region can always cede a few tiny parcels of land just enough to fit the subway station footprints. Ensure the station's phones are wired appropriately to have a 647 code.

Then the problem would no longer exist, because the subway is kept within the 416.

I was quite fond of this solution for bringing the subway to the 905 -- selling Kipling station and a bit of land around it to Mississauga.

I was quite fond of this solution for bringing the subway to the 905 -- selling Kipling station and a bit of land around it to Mississauga.

I know! It's so simple that I don't know why anyone would oppose it.

I guess some people might say that municipal boundaries shouldn't have any effect on transportation planning, but those people clearly don't understand the important dependent relationship between area codes and tunnel construction.

Dundas would have been the transit corridor in Missy if MCC had been built where it logically should have been--at Dundas and Hurontario. That would also have made it practical to extend the subway into western Missy instead of a detour up Hurontario.

Not to mention that that also would have made MCC more urban like NYCC instead of a tower-in-the-park downtown around a mall.

This is what I was thinking. Dundas seems to be the logical route for a subway line. Unfortunately the MCC isn't in a very logical place.

Dundas is a logical route for a Mississauga Subway. But the funny thing is that Hurontario has higher ridership, so shouldn't Hurontario get a subway first?

Dundas is a logical route for a Mississauga Subway. But the funny thing is that Hurontario has higher ridership, so shouldn't Hurontario get a subway first?

I think a line should be built on Hurontario from Port Credit to Eglinton or Bristol. Maybe Britannia.
And the Bloor line should be extended west to Mavis.

However, the Toronto Transit Commission is a Toronto based commission, department, segment, etc., whatever you want to call it.

If the residents along the proposed route want a Yonge extension, and the Spadina extension as well, then they should become part of the City of Toronto. I say that the area affected by the proposed routes should be annexed by the city of Toronto, if they want to use the assets of the city of Toronto, especially the TTC.

That's pretty funny. Apparently, all due respect, some people have no sense of commuting patterns and, in general, how human beings go back and forth regardless of where some dude wants to draw some line.

Most large cities have regional transit authorities - I 'm thinking of the Bay Area Rapid Transit or MTA in New York - and they oversee a variety of modes of transport. I think anyone in New York, for example, would find it laughable to think that a separate organization should be overseeing transportation to/from Long Island just because it's a bit past the city boundary.

You can't wall off Toronto and pretend tourists, commuters, industry and, EVERYONE, goes back and forth all the time. The current system, where a double fare magically appears at Steeles and other borders is riddiculous and it's the TTC's refusal to acknowledge how many of their customers come from outside 416 that has driven its shortsightedness.

Basically, you've got it all backwards.
Anyway...that's my rant.

Has construction on this started?

OR - are we going to hear another "re-announcement" during the campaign?

Patriot - I think you're confusing Yonge and Spadina.
The former is just about to start its EA and is several years away.

Spadina is the one that got the funding last week and, yeah, I expect a re-announcement or two during the campaign as the PM wends his way through York Region.

Back