Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

yea but like what if there were less people in general on the yonge line coming from the North then, there would be less of an issue at bloor yonge

I think there would be an equal if not greater amount of people using the Sheppard West extension to get from the Spadina line to the Yonge line. It could actually worsen the situation. A Sheppard West (and East for that matter) extension should be built in the future, but not until after the DRL is built. Capacity issues need to be addressed before we can move on to expensive network connectivity issues.

I think there would be an equal if not greater amount of people using the Sheppard West extension to get from the Spadina line to the Yonge line. It could actually worsen the situation. A Sheppard West (and East for that matter) extension should be built in the future, but not until after the DRL is built. Capacity issues need to be addressed before we can move on to expensive network connectivity issues.

I can see your point ... I don't think it would be a big problem unless the final destination was just south of bloor. In which case, yes people may take the subway across at Sheppard. In that case it would contribute to the problem.

Interestingly enough from the stats I've seen even if the DRL is built in the long term bloor station will have to be expanded either way. But were talking 50 years or so now and who knows what the situation will be like then.

Will anyone still be working in Toronto? Or will the commercial tax rate have finally evened out by then :)

Langstaff is not the station which will most benefit. Oriole and Old Cummer are -- as the packed west-to-Finch bus lines attest to. The trip from Old Cummer and Oriole to Union is much faster than riding the bus to Finch, transferring to the subwaym and taking that south.

This is a good point. However, for this to work, both the frequent service (15 or 20 min at peak) and the relocation of both stations (closer to Sheppard and Finch, respectively) will be needed.

York Region completes Transit Project Assessment Process for proposed Yonge subway

NEWMARKET - A Statement of Completion was filed today with the Ontario Ministry of the Environment regarding the proposed Yonge subway extension, becoming the first project in Ontario to be evaluated using the streamlined, transit-specific environmental assessment process called the Transit Project Assessment Process.

Last month, Ontario Minister of the Environment John Gerretsen approved the Environmental Project Report for the extension of the Yonge subway.

"The Yonge subway extension is a major step closer to reality," said York Region Chairman and CEO Bill Fisch. "This is an important project that will benefit people throughout the Region and the GTA, creating the backbone of a seamless transit network for generations."

The Regional Municipality of York, in partnership with York Region Rapid Transit Corporation, City of Toronto and Toronto Transit Commission, proposed a 6.8-kilometre extension of the Yonge subway from Finch Station to Langstaff/Richmond Hill Centre at Highway 7. The project would add six new subway stations, two bus terminals and a commuter parking lot with passenger drop-off and pick-up facilities.

"We are proud to be the first in Ontario to have gone through the Transit Project Assessment Process," added Chairman Fisch. "The Yonge subway extension project now stands ready for Provincial and Federal funding consideration which will vastly improve public transit, help stimulate the economy and create much-needed jobs."

Unlike the previous environmental assessment process that could take years to complete, under Ontario Regulation 231/08, the Transit Project Assessment Process is streamlined to six months. During that time, additional public consultation takes place, an Environmental Project Report is published and the Minister of the Environment must render a decision on whether or not the project may proceed.

The Yonge subway extension is part of vivaNext, a long-term plan for a modern, efficient rapid transit network providing connectivity within York Region and between the City of Toronto and the Regions of Peel and Durham.

The VivaNext plan also includes an 8.6-kilometre extension of the Spadina subway line from Downsview Station to Vaughan Corporate Centre at Highway 7, and rapidways along key corridors within York Region. Rapidways are special centre lanes reserved exclusively for Viva rapid transit vehicles, allowing them to move effortlessly past traffic congestion.

http://www.vivanext.com/207

So they're hurrying and building two subway lines into the suburbs (Spadina and Yonge), yet the downtown core which needs to move the most amount of people and has the least amount of above ground real-estate gets souped up streetcars.

It's as if they're considering subways commuter rail, the regional transportation capacity that GO is supposed to fill.

I sure hope that Eglinton ends up being a subway and that a DRL is put on the fast track.

Last edited:
So they're hurrying and building two subway lines into the suburbs (Spadina and Yonge), yet the downtown core which needs to move the most amount of people and has the least amount of above ground real-estate gets souped up streetcars.

It's as if they're considering subways commuter rail, the regional transportation capacity that GO is supposed to fill.

I sure hope that Eglinton ends up being a subway and that a DRL is put on the fast track.
Ya know, I hate to be hating on York Region, but I totally agree.

Perhaps the Spadina Extension up to York U or Steeles would make sense, but to VCC? I don't think so. I'm not sure how much the Yonge Subway extension is warranted at all actually. Sure, it would provide a good nexus for all the lines, but I really don't think it's that needed. What should come earlier is Express Rail on the Richmond Hill line. Express Rail would easily get people using GO to get from Richmond Hill to the Downtown Core(s) It would actually provide them better service than a Subway Line would.
If YRT really needs a subway, they should start upgrading Viva Blue eventually. Prehaps 15 years down the road they could build a Viva Blue Subway up to Major Mackenzie or somewhere (which would be pretty useful actually)

I agree. Eglinton and DRL are way above the YUS Extensions in importance. They should get pledged to be built and construction started and then a YUS extension is still hardly needed. With an Eglinton Subway, a Sheppard West extension would be less important too, because there will be another fast link between Yonge and Spadina.

But seriously, with all the hype over Yonge and Spadina extensions, where's the University extension?!! :confused:

Extending subways into the 905 suburbs is meaningless (merely replacing some feeder express bus traffic through low-density sprawl with a prolonged subway ride) if when commuters arrive in the downtown they are left at the mercy of go-slow, unreliable surface transit. A comprehensive innercity east-west subway to compliment the YUS loop is what's desperately needed first and foremost.

Why haven't they consider this?

What happened to those planned Viva LRt?

VivaFlexity.jpg

I always thought that Viva Lrt should have been built in the York region to connect with Both future Steeles Stations.

As for making transfer easier they should design the Steeles Stations like this:

Lionel-groulx-montreal-metro.jpg

180px-Lionel_Groulx_Platform_Arrangement.svg.png

Northbound on the same floor and southbound as well so instead of using stairs to change trains, they just cross the plateform.

This would have save a lot of money to the TTC to either start the DRL or finish Sheppard

If LRT is good enough for Eglinton, York region should have consider instead of wishing for a subway that a LRT could easily accomodate...

Why haven't they consider this?

What happened to those planned Viva LRt?

I always thought that Viva Lrt should have been built in the York region to connect with Both future Steeles Stations.

This would have save a lot of money to the TTC to either start the DRL or finish Sheppard

If LRT is good enough for Eglinton, York region should have consider instead of wishing for a subway that a LRT could easily accomodate...

LRT was considered and rejected because it is beneath York Region. Subway was and is considered the only option.

I find it mildly amusing that everywhere I go I see complaints about Toronto City Council wasting money but hardly a peep about the $4 billion plus that York Region wants to flush down the drain building unneeded subway extensions. (But hey, York is paying the smallest share of the construction costs so I guess that makes it easier for them)

Now there's a chance that we'll be stuck with two white elephants while the downtown part of the system--that actually needs new subway capacity--continues to choke.

Maybe that could be Vaughan's new slogan? The city with not one but two white elephants that we suckered other people into paying for!

LRT was considered and rejected because it is beneath York Region. Subway was and is considered the only option.

I find it mildly amusing that everywhere I go I see complaints about Toronto City Council wasting money but hardly a peep about the $4 billion plus that York Region wants to flush down the drain building unneeded subway extensions. (But hey, York is paying the smallest share of the construction costs so I guess that makes it easier for them)

Now there's a chance that we'll be stuck with two white elephants while the downtown part of the system--that actually needs new subway capacity--continues to choke.

Maybe that could be Vaughan's new slogan? The city with not one but two white elephants that we suckered other people into paying for!

Well said my friend

At least in Montreal, Longueuil and Laval have more than the required ridership to justified an extension.

Vaughn and Richmond Hill should have a settled for LRT. DRL is the #1 priority.

wow don't get mad jsut cuz York Region wants the best for their citizens to allow the city to grow and to provide a good backbone for the region into the future, it's not York Region's fault that Toronto's councillors are too busy worrying about their own life instead of working together to push forward the DRL, i'm sorry, but stating that the subways will mostly be paid for by Toronto is false, first off York Region is paying for their own part of it respectively, and also they are allowing the Toronto TTC to reep the benefits of it from parking and other methods, and I find it sort of funny that everyone says the extensions are goig to nowhere, when in reality yonge/highway 7 has about like 12 different roads that lead directly and indirectly to the centre, VCC has two highways, vaughan mills nearby, wonderland nearby, viva purple which goes on highway 7. It is true that the DRL is probably more needed, but you can't realy get mad at York Region just because they're getting their act together and actually acting on their reigonal transportation masterplan...

Last edited:
wow don't get mad jsut cuz York Region wants the best for their citizens to allow the city to grow and to provide a good backbone for the region into the future, it's not York Region's fault that Toronto's councillors are too busy worrying about their own life instead of working together to push forward the DRL,

That's fine, local citizens are expected to lobby for the most outrageous things. That doesn't mean the upper levels of government should just go along with them. The provincial and federal politicians that are signing the cheques and parachuting money into the pit of no return are supposed to be stewards of the public purse as well.

They deserve all the scorn for their complicity in this huge waste. They are not suddenly absolved of any blame or ridicule simply because it might get them a few extra votes.

i'm sorry, but stating that the subways will mostly be paid for by Toronto is false, first off York Region is paying for their own part of it respectively

I didn't say that. I said York Region is paying the smallest share of all the players in the ring. Which so far is true. We will see what happens with Richmond Hill.

I find it sort of funny that everyone says the extensions are goig to nowhere, when in reality yonge/highway 7 has about like 12 different roads that lead directly and indirectly to the centre, VCC has two highways, vaughan mills nearby, wonderland nearby, viva purple which goes on highway 7.

As someone elsewhere has so eloquently put it: All of that has enough ridership to make a nice bus or tram route.

Subways are needed for DRL, Sheppard (who outperforms many subway line around the world) and Eglinton
yet they remain incomplete or LRT.

Sorry but Subway in York region is overkill. I agree that York region definately deserve Rapid transit and they should have consider LRT or even the RT technology.

Subways are needed for DRL, Sheppard (who outperforms many subway line around the world) and Eglinton
yet they remain incomplete or LRT.
But that's completely the fault of the TTC and Toronto City Council. York knew what it wanted and lobbied for it (and got it). The TTC wanted LRT and that's what it got. You can't blame York Region for getting a subway over Toronto when Toronto didn't even try. The TTC is moaning about the Yonge extension as it is, even though the extension to Steeles will save plenty of its own riders a good amount of time.

Back