Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Actually, it makes things worse.The good thing about the U is that it is long enough to put lots of trains on it and they are moving throughout the U. You want to really mess up a line with 2 options? Bad idea. The problem becomes anyone north of Davisville has to wait for a second train for their destination south except for Union.

If you wanted to truncate it at Union, that would also be a bad thing. You would need more tracks and platforms at Union to handle the trains coming and going.

Leave the U as it is. Other options using new tracks/tunnels are the better solution.

All the stops south of Davisville would still be served via the Line 1 Loop Line, just either clockwise or counterclockwise.

This new alignment for instance would save someone going from say Sheppard-Yonge to Queen's Park from either transferring twice at Bloor-Yonge and St George to get there or riding around Union - two current options which are both inconvenient for most and take up a lot of time. The beauty of the Loop proposal is that it diverts tens of thousands away from the critical choke point, Bloor-Yonge Stn.

Even if those heading down on the Avenue-University leg inevitably wind up north on Yonge, it'd (1) be counterflow the choke point and (2) they'd intercept the new Spadina Line and Ontario Line on three separate occasions, so travelers may opt to utilize those lines to get to their destinations rather than going up Yonge, further alleviating the choke point Bloor-Yonge interchange. It's a well thought out solution I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss.

It would be so much easier just to extend the current line 1 platforms at busier stations to fit an extra car or 2.

The goal is two-fold, improve the rapid transit options to the densely populated yet underserved Downtown West areas and alleviate the Bloor-Yonge critical juncture. Splitting YUS into S and YU means at least if there's an incident on one leg service isn't affected on the other leg.

This new alignment for instance would save someone going from say Sheppard-Yonge to Queen's Park from either transferring twice at Bloor-Yonge and St George to get there or riding around Union - two current options which are both inconvenient for most and take up a lot of time. The beauty of the Loop proposal is that it diverts tens of thousands away from the critical choke point, Bloor-Yonge Stn.
I highly doubt anyone would transfer at Bloor-Yonge.

Or, instead of building anew line along a corridor that is already (well-ish) served, why don't we start building the DRL/Ontario Line (I like RL better)?

Or, instead of building anew line along a corridor that is already (well-ish) served, why don't we start building the DRL/Ontario Line (I like RL better)?
Because it's not well served. Having 2000 buses travel along a gridlocked corridor every day is horrible whichever way you put it. The Relief line is obviously the priority, but this is still a vital piece of transportation infrastructure the city actually needs.

I think that all the wackier proposals to get an express line downtown can be solved if we just constructed an quad tracked line under Bayview. It would capture all the traffic coming from the East and would allow for intensification of other parts of the city instead of crowding everyone along Yonge Street.

Also in my opinion, we need redundancy in the system. Currently, because we only have effectively 1 line into downtown, the system is incredibly fragile. Anything happens and the whole system comes to a grinding halt. Breaking up the Yonge Line and providing additional subway tracks downtown that are not connected to Yonge has the net benefit of

1. Intensification along corridors that are not Yonge St. -> Additional housing and commercial oppurtunities. (Also unlock Rosedale for intensification)
2. Increase capacity into downtown (admittedly, express Yonge lines also do this, but are massively constrained by existing development
3. Provide alternative routes into the city center (this is sorely missed in Toronto)

Also IMO, if the YUS is broken at Spadina, I think that it is important the Yonge Branch continues to terminate at Spadina and not St George. It makes transfers easier for commuters. You want to remove barriers to commuting and a single stop hop is very inconvenient for all.

This thread quickly devolved into a fantasy situation.
I prefer alternative options that serve a similar purpose to be contained in these threads, instead of being all lumped into the fantasy thread. I view fantasy as out-of-the box ideas that do not solve one of the pre-existing forum topics.

I think that all the wackier proposals to get an express line downtown can be solved if we just constructed an quad tracked line under Bayview. It would capture all the traffic coming from the East and would allow for intensification of other parts of the city instead of crowding everyone along Yonge Street.
I would much prefer an octo-tracked line under Jarvis-Mount Pleasant. This belongs in the fantasy thread though.

Here is an omelet breaking suggestion. It runs close enough to Yonge to be a real relief. It spaced decently to be express. It goes to Union and other downtown stations. It is building a new tunnel serving new riders
What would be bad about this line?

Yeah, this is a neat option. Incidentally, Bathurst has more density at Sheppard and north of Sheppard than between Bloor and 401. Your route would serve that density.

Some adjustment to the west-east routes may become desirable, to improve the access to the Avenue - Bathurst line's stations from the east. That could be managed though. Eglinton is getting service across Yonge, anyway.

Last edited:

I think it is evident that OL will happen first. Any upgrades for the Yonge corridor will only be considered if/when the OL is built but the existing Yonge line fills back to near-capacity due to the population growth.

Yeah, this is a neat option. Incidentally, Bathurst has more density at Sheppard and north of Sheppard than between Bloor and 401. Your route would serve that density.

Some adjustment to the west-east routes may become desirable, to improve the access to the Avenue - Bathurst line's stations from the east. That could be managed though. Eglinton is getting service across Yonge, anyway.

It is better than an express down Yonge.

It is better than an express down Yonge.
It is great that people have their own ideas and draw schematic concepts. I don't think there is really much knowledge out there about the practicality of building these projects and the costs. The Yonge Street Express Subway will solve the congestion on Line 1 and can readily be built cheaper than anything being proposed. I have already done the preliminary tunnel design layout and profile. Look more closely at the details on my website. https://undergroundconsulting.ca/yonge-st-express-subway

It is great that people have their own ideas and draw schematic concepts. I don't think there is really much knowledge out there about the practicality of building these projects and the costs. The Yonge Street Express Subway will solve the congestion on Line 1 and can readily be built cheaper than anything being proposed. I have already done the preliminary tunnel design layout and profile. Look more closely at the details on my website. https://undergroundconsulting.ca/yonge-st-express-subway

Let's say you have a finite amount of tax dollars to spend. Let's say you are running for election. Which would give you more chances of gaining public support; an express line tracing a current line, or a new line servicing businesses and customers not already on a line? I don't disagree that Yonge should have an express route tracing it, but, with a city with 2 lines, other areas should have new service brought to it first.. That is why the DRL gets traction. That is why extensions get traction.

Back