Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I've been kind of watching this thread but not really because it's not in an area that affects me. I'm just going to pop in some of my thoughts to topics I've seen raised here, though, from an outsider's perspective.

- I definitely think this is an important project, but I'm glad to see the Relief Line getting priority. We should be getting the East Side off of Line 1 before trying to fit Thornhill on.
- Langstaff is a natural terminal for interchange between the TTC, GO, and multiple Viva services, and seeing it not developed like Vaughan Centre would be a huge missed opportunity.
- The station just north of Finch should be called "Newtonbrook". "Cummer" would cause confusion with "Old Cummer", "New Cummer" I hope is just tongue-in-cheek, "Drewry" doesn't roll off the tongue, and this way the station could be inched north slightly to cover Drewry/Cummer and Connaught/Wedgewood equally.
- Not sure why all the suggestions are for a station on Langstaff/Longbridge instead of Bay Thorn or Kirk. L/L is way too close to RHC, and the only benefit I can see is being able to cram parking underneath the hydro corridor. This is Yonge, the one street we shouldn't be putting cars first. In my opinion, if the station can't go at or around Kirk, it shouldn't exist in the first place. Let Royal Orchard and Langstaff serve that area.
- The John/Centre station having disappeared is disappointing. Not sure why that is, but as long as Clark and Royal Orchard still exist it may be fine.
- The stations at Newtonbrook, Steeles, and Clark should have at least one entrance incorporated into other buildings, or otherwise relinquishing air rights. More room for development for the area, plus it might cover some of the costs. (Sidenote: a subway entrance taking over a storefront in Centerpoint Mall would be impractical but hilarious.)
- There's a green space between Yonge, Highway 7, and Garden Avenue. Would be a decent place for the subway to emerge, and have it terminate above ground. Might be cheaper than keeping it tunneled, and intentionally limiting extension options to the Bala rail corridor would be great to encourage better transit away from Yonge.

I'
- Not sure why all the suggestions are for a station on Langstaff/Longbridge instead of Bay Thorn or Kirk. L/L is way too close to RHC, and the only benefit I can see is being able to cram parking underneath the hydro corridor. This is Yonge, the one street we shouldn't be putting cars first. In my opinion, if the station can't go at or around Kirk, it shouldn't exist in the first place. Let Royal Orchard and Langstaff serve that area.

All good and fair points. You kind of answer your own question here: The Langstaff station will have parking, the only new station north of Finch, so it will intercept drivers now going south to Finch. As significantly, it will also access the west end of the Langstaff Gateway node, which will be the highest planned concentration of density, aside from the middle section. Royal Orchard seems a bit dense, because of the apartments, but it's all valleylands to the west and south so there is no way to intensify further so Langstaff/Longbridge really does make the most sense.

The way the planners described it at the public meetings, many years ago, was like seeing the RHC terminal station and Langstaff as 2 halves of a large station; one providing the mobility hub and access to the RH side and the other parking and access to the Markham side.

I suppose it could change in an EA but the current plan is to have the subway end pretty much where Silver City is now. There will be big towers integrated above and transportation infrastructure integrated below. I think the greenspace you're talking about may be the stormwater pond? Either way, it won't be poking its head above ground there.

I've been kind of watching this thread but not really because it's not in an area that affects me. I'm just going to pop in some of my thoughts to topics I've seen raised here, though, from an outsider's perspective.

- I definitely think this is an important project, but I'm glad to see the Relief Line getting priority. We should be getting the East Side off of Line 1 before trying to fit Thornhill on.
- Langstaff is a natural terminal for interchange between the TTC, GO, and multiple Viva services, and seeing it not developed like Vaughan Centre would be a huge missed opportunity.
- The station just north of Finch should be called "Newtonbrook". "Cummer" would cause confusion with "Old Cummer", "New Cummer" I hope is just tongue-in-cheek, "Drewry" doesn't roll off the tongue, and this way the station could be inched north slightly to cover Drewry/Cummer and Connaught/Wedgewood equally.
- The John/Centre station having disappeared is disappointing. Not sure why that is, but as long as Clark and Royal Orchard still exist it may be fine.
- The stations at Newtonbrook, Steeles, and Clark should have at least one entrance incorporated into other buildings, or otherwise relinquishing air rights. More room for development for the area, plus it might cover some of the costs. (Sidenote: a subway entrance taking over a storefront in Centerpoint Mall would be impractical but hilarious.)
- There's a green space between Yonge, Highway 7, and Garden Avenue. Would be a decent place for the subway to emerge, and have it terminate above ground. Might be cheaper than keeping it tunneled, and intentionally limiting extension options to the Bala rail corridor would be great to encourage better transit away from Yonge.
You can't really have the line terminate above ground because there is going to be a new subway train yard north of RHC station.

The lack of a "Thornhill Centre" station juxtaposed between John and Centre Streets seems like the biggest missed opportunity of all.

The lack of a "Thornhill Centre" station juxtaposed between John and Centre Streets seems like the biggest missed opportunity of all.

Not if you look at the land use planning in the area. Bathurst/Centre is actually designated as "Thornhill Centre," something that will only intensify (literally) as the Promenade area develops. The area you describe is a heritage district and it's hard to imagine any development at all taking place on that stretch. Maybe someone could do a nice 4-6 storey building wher the Tim Hortons is and there was, many moons ago, a proposal for the old post office building north of Centre, but that's about it.

Ultimately, I think what they went with (a stop at Clark and then nothing until Langstaff) makes the most sense.

There will likely be Viva buses meeting the subway at Clark which will whisk passengers quickly to the Promenade mall area relatively quickly. I don't believe there is much traffic on Clark and it's really not far to the Promenade Mall.

There will likely be Viva buses meeting the subway at Clark which will whisk passengers quickly to the Promenade mall area relatively quickly. I don't believe there is much traffic on Clark and it's really not far to the Promenade Mall.

I confess I've lost track at this point but there was definitely talk of Viva service - possibly even partial rapidways - on Clark at some point. But, yeah, they will definitely have a "rapid" connection from Yonge over to the terminal at Bathurst and Clark by far makes the most sense for that. Centre Street is all heritage and Bridle-Path homes. Clark at least has some condos and the shopping centre as destinations.

Surprise, surprise. Yonge Street has a bus route that follows and extends past the Yonge portion of Line 1.

097map.gif

This is the description from the TTC website, at this link:

The bad news is that the headway is w-i-d-e apart (15 m or worse). Some parts only operate during part of the day (keyword: day). The other bad news is that they use buses.

The 97 Yonge could be an alternative to the subway, especially for local service. But only if it were more frequent.

When they opened the original Yonge subway, they did away with the streetcar service between Union Station and Glen Echo Road (halfway between Lawrence and York Mills Stations). That streetcar line should have been kept to supply local service and emergency service.

The TTC should at least increase the headway of the 97 Yonge bus, and get better marketing for that route. May not be a big improvement, but for some we can bypass the crowds in the Line 1 for the short distances.

I don't see a point for the 97 anywhere south of Finch Station, with the exception of subway delays.

I don't see a point for the 97 anywhere south of Finch Station, with the exception of subway delays.
The bus service should supplement the subway service in every day service. Then when the TTC foresees shut downs, then can run the Line 1 Shuttles or 97 Express buses before the shut down occurs, so when it does occur buses that are already on the route can switch over an more buses added. Some people who do not want to deal with the subway crowding can take the bus if they want a alternative, though slower on average.

Back