Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Looking for that money tree so I can get some of this money

York launching PR push for extension of Yonge subway

“The Yonge subway north to Hwy 7 has been talked about for the last number of decades,” Scarpitti said. He called the project “the most justifiable investment in subway expansion in recent history.”

If this statement is any indication, this campaign will be laden with as much BS as the SmartTrack boosters. Only difference is the Yonge subway is easier to justify. It's just that they're just gonna have to wait a little while for the DRL, and grow some money on trees.

I'm glad to see TTC launch a counter campaign saying DRL first and get the bloody hell out Scarborough and Smart Track. But I doubt they have balls.

“The Yonge subway north to Hwy 7 has been talked about for the last number of decades,” Scarpitti said. He called the project “the most justifiable investment in subway expansion in recent history.”

If this statement is any indication, this campaign will be laden with as much BS as the SmartTrack boosters. Only difference is the Yonge subway is easier to justify. It's just that they're just gonna have to wait a little while for the DRL, and grow some money on trees.
They won't have to wait for anything if they can chop down enough of those trees. By deciding to contribute nothing to Yonge, Toronto essentially gave York Region complete control over lining up funding. Incredibly stupid move by Toronto if Yonge starts before the DRL.

Nor do they have the money to waste.

Nor do they have the political capital to spend, given how deep in the mud they're going to make Scarborough happen. It's hard to argue you can afford $3B for a one-stop subway for 7,300 riders which you promise will spur growth in a long-dead centre one day, while shooting down a line for 25,000 riders which is already seeing so much intensification it could overwhelm your system. That's your transit planning situation these days!

The article's kinda funny- the Star "obtained" this secret press release; so secret that Markham's mayor was willing to go on record when asked about it? Did he just call, fax them a copy and wait on the line while they read what he leaked?

I dunno if I understand the need for the PR push, really. I'd assume that at this point the backroom dealing is far more important. The local pols all know the deal and Toronto has made its position clear. Local residents want it and Toronto peeps (per this board) either get the need but want to wait, outright oppose it because of where a line was drawn in the 50s, or don't really care so long as they can still get a seat on a train. I don't know that ads will change anyone's mind.
And even if they did, even I don't advocate, say, Trudeau funding the subway and forcing Toronto to build it with a gun to its head without proper infrastructure in place.

But more power to em; maybe I'll sign the petition anyway! :)

Nor do they have the political capital to spend, given how deep in the mud they're going to make Scarborough happen. It's hard to argue you can afford $3B for a one-stop subway for 7,300 riders which you promise will spur growth in a long-dead centre one day, while shooting down a line for 25,000 riders which is already seeing so much intensification it could overwhelm your system. That's your transit planning situation these days!

The article's kinda funny- the Star "obtained" this secret press release; so secret that Markham's mayor was willing to go on record when asked about it? Did he just call, fax them a copy and wait on the line while they read what he leaked?

I dunno if I understand the need for the PR push, really. I'd assume that at this point the backroom dealing is far more important. The local pols all know the deal and Toronto has made its position clear. Local residents want it and Toronto peeps (per this board) either get the need but want to wait, outright oppose it because of where a line was drawn in the 50s, or don't really care so long as they can still get a seat on a train. I don't know that ads will change anyone's mind.
And even if they did, even I don't advocate, say, Trudeau funding the subway and forcing Toronto to build it with a gun to its head without proper infrastructure in place.

But more power to em; maybe I'll sign the petition anyway! :)

giphy.gif

Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.28.52 PM.png

Well looks like their little propaganda website has gone live. Here we go...

Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.57.05 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.57.31 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 5.04.36 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.50.39 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.57.44 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.28.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.28.52 PM.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 624
  • Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.57.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.57.05 PM.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 680
  • Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.50.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.50.39 PM.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 617
  • Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.57.44 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.57.44 PM.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 636
  • Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.57.31 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.57.31 PM.png
    85 KB · Views: 642
  • Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 5.04.36 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 5.04.36 PM.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 609

Money is a real issue. How would you feel if the HST rate were raised 1 point and funds raised were dedicated to transit?

Money is a real issue. How would you feel if the HST rate were raised 1 point and funds raised were dedicated to transit?
Ask the people of LA, Seattle and a few other places why they pass such a tax for 40 years and going to the polls in Nov to increase it.

Adding 1 cent for transit has been part of the Big Move recommendations on funding transit only, with fund being use by areas that have no transit for roads.

Its the same thing on adding a charge for every parking spot on all commerical, public Parking, enployment and transit land. A lot of places will pass that tax onto everyone one to the point spot will start to dissappear.

Money can be had if the government has that ball to do so and not worry about the backlash that will araise from it as well trying to stay in power. The recommenadation are there, but no guts to do it.

Again, where do we invested in transit; are we doing it right; are we using the right technology in the right place and the list goes on.

TTC only saw the Yonge line going to Steeles and then west to hockup with the Spadina Line long before York Vision. Did York talk to Toronto and TTC before then about this extension idea and the answer was most likely not.

It clearly stated by York, they want to remove 2,500 buses off Yonge St, yet at no time do they state any plans to remove traffic other than they want 2,500 more cars on it. Again, like a lot of places, dealing with transit is the easy thing to do and not deal with the root of the problem in the first place, "THE Single Driver Car".

More important, who came up with this 2,500 daily buses number as its off the wall. Using this number is saying 1,250 buses are going each way daily which is not true. Using 1,250 numbers at 100 riders per bus works out to be 12,500 riders going in one direction. If a subway is to start at 10-12,000 per hour, this meams there will be only 2.5 (3) trains a day going to RHC. Based on numbers I did a few years ago, Yonge is seeing 22,000 week day ridership today going in one direction, with the bulk taking place at peak time for 2 hours. My 2031 number was around 35,000, with 8,500 at peak time and well below the subway requirement

If there is to be no buses on Yonge St and no subway within a km or more of a rider, what do you think they will be using to get to work??

York has expanded its road system to 7 lanes feeding into Toronto few 7 lane roads while the rest are 5 lanes and telling Toronto you deal with our single drivers.

As stated in the past, "THERE IS NO FRIGGING CAPICITY SOUTH OF BLOOR" Nor south of Eglinton for "TORONTO RIDERS", let alone Finch. Until the DRL is built to Steeles, York can "STUFF" it until its built. Only then, an extension can be looked at as a 2nd Yonge Line, as Yonge will need another one by 2050 or sooner at the rate of development is taking place along it now and the future.

If York wants this subway baddly, let them pickup the full cost of not only building it, but operating it for the next 60 years 100%.

Steve Munro can't eat his Wheaties without having first spent 10 hours criticizing something someone is doing with transit. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's insightful - mostly I find it annoying at this point (this project being entirely beside the point). Armchair engineer. Yawn.

It clearly stated by York, they want to remove 2,500 buses off Yonge St, yet at no time do they state any plans to remove traffic other than they want 2,500 more cars on it. Again, like a lot of places, dealing with transit is the easy thing to do and not deal with the root of the problem in the first place, "THE Single Driver Car".

This is silliness. So you're criticizing them for servicing transit riders? Isn't it implicit that people taking transit aren't taking cars? Build a new condo on Yonge. Don't put a subway there. How are people getting around? Bus or car, right? So if you build a subway, it's serving someone who would otherwise be taking a bus or a car?

And they ARE dealing with the root of the problem which is how we've built communities for the past 60-odd years. They're trying to build dense, transit-oriented development along corridors and in nodes so people in York Region - most of whom need cars - won't. You can challenge whether you think that will work or whatever, but to not understand how they're trying to alter a suburban built form is just wrong.

but by all means, let's criticize one of the few suburbs trying to promote transit and intensification.

More important, who came up with this 2,500 daily buses number as its off the wall. Using this number is saying 1,250 buses are going each way daily which is not true.

It's true, so you're wrong again. Come stand at Yonge/Steeles from, say, 8 am to 11 am and count how many buses there are. You can literally stand anywhere along that corridor south of Finch and see 7 or 8 buses going north and south at any given time.

There's plenty to question amid the "propaganda," but this is a fact.

Using 1,250 numbers at 100 riders per bus works out to be 12,500 riders going in one direction. If a subway is to start at 10-12,000 per hour, this meams there will be only 2.5 (3) trains a day going to RHC.

Say what now?

Based on numbers I did a few years ago, Yonge is seeing 22,000 week day ridership today going in one direction, with the bulk taking place at peak time for 2 hours.

Oh, you did numbers. I see. I don't have my own numbers.

If there is to be no buses on Yonge St and no subway within a km or more of a rider, what do you think they will be using to get to work??

Erm....there are buses on Yonge right now, you know.
There will still be some local buses but not the almost-literal caravan that goes there now. Once you're done standing at Yonge/Steeles and counting buses, try driving in the right lanes for a while. Worst bus knuckles in town.

York has expanded its road system to 7 lanes feeding into Toronto few 7 lane roads while the rest are 5 lanes and telling Toronto you deal with our single drivers.

Riiiiight. Well, I count 6 lanes at this Google Streetview link.
Six in the CITY of Toronto. And six in the SUBURB of York Region.
But what's really funny is that if you do a 360 you can count SEVEN buses in view; exactly like I said.

As stated in the past, "THERE IS NO FRIGGING CAPICITY SOUTH OF BLOOR" Nor south of Eglinton for "TORONTO RIDERS", let alone Finch. Until the DRL is built to Steeles, York can "STUFF" it until its built.

Oooh, tough talk. So, we both know the DRL is never going to Steeles; Sheppard is the furthest anyone has suggested and that was Metrolinx, while Toronto was too far up its own ass dealing with Scarborough.

And if you're trying to help Toronto riders, you really should be screening people at Finch. Don't let any foreigners board the train until you know that there are downstream people have seats clear to Union. Be warned - they look eerily like Torontonians and walk among you. Or, you know, conveniently ignore the thousands of York Region riders always on the train and pretend they're not there, since you made them STUFF their subway.

(Also, you're wrong again. The issue is not capacity SOUTH of Bloor. The issue is capacity AT Bloor.)

Only then, an extension can be looked at as a 2nd Yonge Line, as Yonge will need another one by 2050 or sooner at the rate of development is taking place along it now and the future.

By then we'll all have flying cars. Duh!
(No, we probably won't. It's still more likely than your second Yonge line.)

In conclusion - the propaganda may be stupid and a waste of taxpayer money. I coulda written the website better and Munro is right about some of the stuff they get wrong or mis-communicate. The extension is still the least stupid transit project being considered in the entire GTA save for RER and the DRL.

Last edited:

Back