Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I appologize. I should never have used the word "SEAT". Seat or no seat there isnt even standing room by the time the train gets to eglinton NOW. I have no problem standing but you need somewhere to stand. I dont think 416 residents should have to wait for 2 or 3 trains to go by before they can get on a train to stand up in.

As for your comment that you would be happy if 416 were clogging up 905 busses because then they would be paying for themselves. Well I guess they would be getting more revinue but every rider is subsidized. In half empty busses any extra fairs count. In over capacity already profitable subways it doesnt help as much.

ok I agree with this. That's a very BIG difference!

people go to work when they are suppose to work. I know some companies offer flexible hours but others dont. Why should 416 be inconvienced. Im ok with a yonge extension but only if we have a east DRL that goes all the way to Eglinton. Help fund that and Im ok. FTR I dont live anywhere near the y&E intersection but the problem is well known just as it is as Yonge and Bloor.. Telling 416 residents to simply change their job hours is a simplisic answer to a complex problem. It would be the same if a 416 person simply said to the 905 resident GET A JOB IN YOUR OWN CITY...
Who said anything about "telling 416 residents to simply change their job hours"? I was saying as a society we need to move away from the arbitrary9-5 work day (I'd do this through a system of progressive tax incentives to corporations that have a percentage of employees working outside the 9-5) that causes unnecessary peaking.

Making it into a 416/905 thing is myopic. It's not just the subway that's backed at rush hour, it's every major street in the city that's clogged. There aren't imaginary lines on the roads stopping people from crossing, so if transit wants to be a legitimate option for the millions of people that live around, but not directly in Toronto, it must not impose arbitrary limits.

the 905 isnt responsible for all of the 416 problems.. infact it was 416 who voted for FORD so at least currently we are the only ones to blame for our transit mess. That being said its frusterating that the spadina extension happens before the DRL because the government thought they already had toronto votes but thought they could buy Vaughan votes. This is coming from a torontonian who would probably benefit more personally from the spadina extension then from the DRL... but its not about what suits me better its what suits the city better. I wish people thought this way when they voted..

As a 905er, I would do whatever it takes to support the DRL; Toronto does need more transit, specifically rail (whether it be LRT, subway, legacy lines). It's definitely a noodle scratcher when you see Toronto neglect itself and support others, it just boggles my mind when you read about the amount of "could haves' for Toronto Transit that were abolished by political red tape and lack of support.

I hope the olympics become a reality because SUBWAYS like the DRL will more then likely happen. It would benefit both the 905 and the 416.

As a 905er, I would do whatever it takes to support the DRL; Toronto does need more transit, specifically rail (whether it be LRT, subway, legacy lines). It's definitely a noodle scratcher when you see Toronto neglect itself and support others, it just boggles my mind when you read about the amount of "could haves' for Toronto Transit that were abolished by political red tape and lack of support.

I think the frustration for people in the 905 is that the Yonge extension is the missing link (much like sheppard west), that could really solidify transit as a viable option for York Region, especially with the connections to VIVA railways on yonge north and highway 7, as well as connections to GO, etc.

The DRL is just easing congestion, it's not actually really going to vastly improve the commute for the people it serves (this assume a pape to Queen alignment. Most of the people within the scope of a DRL are already well served by transit that actually moves. On Yonge north of Steeles traffic is horrible, with almost every single collector funneling directly onto either Yonge or Bathurst, niether buses nor cars can move through this stretch effectively. So while the 905 sees the benefits of a DRL, the Yonge extension will have a more profound effect in terms of easing congestion than a DRL. the DRL will ease the Yonge subway congestion, but it will do nothing to ease street or road congestion. The Extension won't only serve nodal trips like steeles to Union, but it will also be a very effective intermediate trip provider in between major points too. It can provide sufficient savings from having to run less buses off-peak and running a reduced frequency subway on off-peak for a more efficient service tot he area.

Im suggesting a DRL that goes to sheppard so all the scarborough residents and the immediate area North york residents use the DRL versus the yonge line. That way Yonge can grow in density which it will (Y&E, Y&L, Y&S, Y&F, 905, actually any major intersection on yonge will eventually become very dense). All the yonge residents will then use the yonge line almost exclusively. I am sure some people from bathurst and bayview will as well but thats alot different then who uses it now. I use to live at midland and finch and would end up on the Yonge line to get downtown.... Sure you can say that the DRL is only easing congestion but what it really is doing is allowing these nodes to become developed to their full potential.

as for the subway or the DRL only serving nodal trips.. Well if we keep up the pace of nodal development it is quite likely that as a result most of the trips will result in nodal trips. For instance I live close to eglinton west subway. I can use the subway to go down one station to st clair for groceries.. A soon to be nodal development.. I can go north to Lawrence square for my canadian tire fix. I can go north to Yorkdale for shopping. I can go north to downsview parc for recreation. Soon Ill be able to go to yonge and Eglinton for social outings. And I go to union for sports. There are times i uses busses and streetcars but much of my trips can be made on subway to nodal developments. I can see this only increasing in the future.

Im suggesting a DRL that goes to sheppard so all the scarborough residents and the immediate area North york residents use the DRL versus the yonge line. That way Yonge can grow in density which it will (Y&E, Y&L, Y&S, Y&F, 905, actually any major intersection on yonge will eventually become very dense). All the yonge residents will then use the yonge line almost exclusively. I am sure some people from bathurst and bayview will as well but thats alot different then who uses it now. I use to live at midland and finch and would end up on the Yonge line to get downtown.... Sure you can say that the DRL is only easing congestion but what it really is doing is allowing these nodes to become developed to their full potential.

as for the subway or the DRL only serving nodal trips.. Well if we keep up the pace of nodal development it is quite likely that as a result most of the trips will result in nodal trips. For instance I live close to eglinton west subway. I can use the subway to go down one station to st clair for groceries.. A soon to be nodal development.. I can go north to Lawrence square for my canadian tire fix. I can go north to Yorkdale for shopping. I can go north to downsview parc for recreation. Soon Ill be able to go to yonge and Eglinton for social outings. And I go to union for sports. There are times i uses busses and streetcars but much of my trips can be made on subway to nodal developments. I can see this only increasing in the future.

That would be the ideal solution. There needs to be redundancies in the system like more than just one line going north and south and more connections between the N-S lines so that if there is a problem on one of the liens, people can manage to get around them by transferring around the problem, but still staying on the subway. I doubt a DRL up to Sheppard would be in the cards for a VERY long time.

If it doesnt go all the way up to sheppard people will continue to keep transferring at yonge.. People want the least amount of transfers if they have to take a bus to don mills a LRT down to pape and then a subway from there they are more likely to simply bus it to yonge and only have one transfer to the yonge subway.

Any DRL plans I have come up going back to 2004, shows the "U" lines going into the 905, serving both the eastern and western section of Toronto.

By doing so, you are intercepting riders before going to Yonge sooner and freeing up space on the Yonge Line to deal with the growth it is seeing and will see in the coming years.

My U goes further east and west of any of the current ideas and breaks the city into almost equal 1/3rd not factoring in the Spadina line

Regardless, any DRL needs to go to Steeles first not B/D, Eglinton or Sheppard. If you don't, you will keep the Yonge line under the current pressure and have no place to put new riders.

Maybe if residential land taxes in the city of Toronto weren't half as cheap as the 905, you could pay for the DRL? Just saying...

edit: here's a calculator http://ilovetoronto.com/greater-toronto-area-property-tax-calculator

If you use $400,000 for Toronto and Mississauga, there is about $600 different in residental in favour of Toronto. ($3928.46- $3322.28)

If you use mulit residental, you are paying close to $2,500 more in Toronto than Mississauga ($6237.13 - $8785.01)

What cannot be shown here is what the taxes are for the Region of Peel and the schools.

Just saying, check the numbers for each item as well location to say who has it cheaper that includes all taxes items.

If you use $400,000 for Toronto and Mississauga, there is about $600 different in residental in favour of Toronto. ($3928.46- $3322.28)

If you use mulit residental, you are paying close to $2,500 more in Toronto than Mississauga ($6237.13 - $8785.01)

What cannot be shown here is what the taxes are for the Region of Peel and the schools.

Just saying, check the numbers for each item as well location to say who has it cheaper that includes all taxes items.

I guess you're right, I didn't realize that multi-residential was more expensive in toronto.

[/B]If you use mulit residental, you are paying close to $2,500 more in Toronto than Mississauga ($6237.13 - $8785.01)

Yes, renters get really screwed in Toronto compared to home owners.

Are you suggesting that Toronto pays fully for Toronto's subways? That's the only logic I can see for drawing a line in the sand and saying 'no farther'. As it's the provincial taxes that pay for the subways why should some provincial citizens get all the subways while others living a few thousand meters away get none?

I think people are miss understanding what I'm trying to get across. I'm not trying to start a 905 vs 416 debate infact I live in Ajax myself. The fact of the matter is the TTC should only be responsible for transit within Toronto. Isn't that one of the the reasons why its called Toronto Transit Commission. If subways are going to start crossing municipal boarders then let metrolinx take full responsiblity over the construction and operation of all subway lines in the region.

I only referred to York Region because they are the one pushing for the TTC to extend north pass Steelss while in reality there nothing stoping them from building their own subway network and pushing it south to connect with existing stations. Do you see the New York subway network going into New Jersery No. If we continue on this path our subway will turn into BART

I guess you're right, I didn't realize that multi-residential was more expensive in toronto.

You should check out the commerical rate differnence to see who really gets screwed ...

Back