Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

Agreed, onward & upward. X should fit in mighty fine at this corner

Ugly old building - goodbye, lump!

Well, it's definitely of the same era and bad-old-stodgy-leaden-conservative-Toronto spirit as the original New City Hall design. It just screamed out "Mathers & Haldenby", even if it wasn't by Mathers & Haldenby (was it?)

I like it too. I like how it has crept over half the city. I hope it creeps over some more. It could become an entire district one day. There will be no antidote, just amputations in the dead of night by roving bands of Clewesian Neo-Modernists.

So how are we to pronounce 'Clewesian'? In know how to pronounce Clewes, but the adjectival form does occasionally depart from the noun in unexpected ways. I'm tempted to pronounce it Cleweesian just to highlight the fact that there's an e in there.

And how does one pronounce Cary Elwes last name, anyway?

EL-wes. He's really gone to seed that one. Not nearly so cute as when he was in Lady Jane, or Another Country, or when he was a rent boy in London.

Wait, how DO you pronounces 'Clewes'?

One day, there will be an Internet forum where people reverently discuss the correct pronunciation of my name in its various conjugations.

Clues is how I've always heard it pronounced.

Thus ... Clues-ian.

Elwes was such a doll in Another Country. I'd have betrayed my country for him if I'd been 14 and at boarding school. I'd have betrayed my old Grandmother, or my pet hamster Cornelius for him.

Right. Must rent Another Country.

And yes, 'tis Clues or Clooz, for Clewes. I know a bloke wot worked with him, and who said it thus.

I like it too. I like how it has crept over half the city. I hope it creeps over some more. It could become an entire district one day. There will be no antidote, just amputations in the dead of night by roving bands of Clewesian Neo-Modernists.

::thumbsup:: we need more eccentric headquarters in the city. good for business, everyone asks what that unique building is.

It is eye-catching to be sure. I really don't mind this Pomo hodgepodge, especially considering that there isn't much else nearby that excites architecturally.

Back