Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

All they need to do is take out that middle lane, replace it with a treed median and voila! Instant picturesque boulevard.

What does "rejuvenate" mean in this context? Complete overhaul? New sidewalks? Some new trees? Repaving? I think the street could use some sprucing up for sure..

On another note, I was just wondering about this..As the city expands and traffic increases, would it not be possible to start turning major streets into one-ways? I mean some more thought would have to go into it, than just removing one of the directions, but this could conceivably be possible, no?

p5

p5:

Except that one-way arterials are considered to be a discredited planning idea.

AoD

AoD: True- I can see that being a problem..was not necessarily a positive idea...just an idea!

p5

As I mentioned in another thread, I think that one place where one-way streets make sense are on Queen and King. Two lanes could be given over to the streetcar, while the other two could be used as a one way street. I think it would be much more popular with drivers and businesses than the admittedly rather complex King arrangement they proposed a few years ago, which had a one way street changing direction every block.

They already have those one-way streets. They're named Richmond, and Adelaide. (Yeah, I know it gets problematic out Bathurst way and westward, but...)

Just think of Queen and King as traffic-calmed arterials. So they don't have separate ROWs. Big deal...

Why not take out a lane and add sidewalk/bike path width on either side instead of putting in a decorative median that no one will ever use?

I'd rather the median. There's already bike lanes on Sherbourne, and wide sidewalks just seem desolate unless there's people to use them

Kyle Rae told me that he would prefer narrowing the road and planting trees. However, the cost of moving utilities led to the 2nd best approach - a centre median. At least it will make it safer for people to cross the street. I have mixed feelings about wide sidewalks. As a pedestrian I like them but so too do ignorant cyclists who seem to find them more attractive than riding on the road.

Just think of Queen and King as traffic-calmed arterials. So they don't have separate ROWs. Big deal...

I think that is a big deal. A huge deal, actually. That fact makes these transit routes inefficient, ineffective and frustrating.

I agree, it's faster to walk across the core during rush hour then it is to take the streetcar or taxi on King or Queen.An east West line in the core would be great.

I quite like the idea of a treed median down Jarvis. It does feel a bit highwayish at times. Failing that, I would be tempted to revive the Mount Pleasant streetcar or an LRT of some type and run it from Eglinton to Union Station via Queen's Quay

A sales agent on Jan. 27 told me that the sales office at 590 Jarvis will close at the end of March and relocated to 18 Yorkville. It will include a one bedroom model suite (the present sales office has a 1 bedroom + den).

Demolition takes place April through June, followed by excavation of a 6-storey parking garage. Barring any difficulties such as encountering a stream which delayed the Radio City development, the condo should be at grade by this time next year. This gives roughly 2 years to complete the 44 storey building for occupancy by December, 2009.

Unlike Tridel (Verve), Minto (Quantum 2), Aspen Ridge (VU) and TAS (M5V), Great Gulf has not announced any energy-efficient features, such as low-e windows.

Roughly 120 units remain unsold, based on an "availability chart" mounted on the wall beside the model of the building.

"x-condo" at SSC has given another update...looks like things are moving along towards construction start....here's what he said...

Just thought I'd give everyone an update:

"Light" Internal demo started today, the model suite will be torn down beginning today and the entire sales office will be off the site and closed temporary for a few weeks by the end of March to make way for the full demolition of the current six storey building.

The new sales office will be nearby (no confirmed address yet) with a new model suite inside (a small one bedroom unit).

Permits have already been issued so I guess all that remains is the ceremonial digging of the site.

Sales are above 75% now. Original occupancy date was scheduled for December 2009 with a winter 07 start date, lets hope that with the revised start date that the occupancy will now be summer 2009

I am looking forward to this one - particularly in how they will handle the black/primary colour accented exterior.

AoD

Back