Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

Salsa, how can you blame anyone for that? I mean, look at this thing. Actually, don't, and I'm never watching that video. I can't see how it would be worth it.

My observations about Toronto condos is that the architecturally superior buildings often aren't managed well and the boring and crappy-looking buildings can be well maintained and well managed.

That CBC documentary a few years ago nailed it. But yet where is the public outcry and demonstrations to prevent an entire, ubiquitous city of point towers on podiums?

We are going to end up looking like Vancouver...without the beautiful scenery. I love Toronto, but this construction boom doesn't seem like it's going to stop anytime soon. So people are becoming apathetic, I guess...

... 'becoming apathetic'? That boat sailed a long time ago. Toronto lost the plot at some point in the 1980s. Ever since, a 'frontier town' mentality has prevailed. Lack of leadership. Lack of vision. Lack of planning. A city mired in stalemate due to politics and polarization. Our relative affluence and prosperity have been effective smoke screens for these problems. I mean, who doesn't love Toronto, right?

That this pile of doodoo could get built at such a central location, one designed by a respected firm no less, sort of says everything we need to say... and yes, I know there are some good things happening, some good design etc. It's just that quality and excellence seem to be running against the wider grain, and this is the problem.

This thread in a nutshell:

1. Someone posts picture
2. Everyone vents their displeasure with what they see
3. Repeat

And also:
1) "We have too many blue and grey glass buildings. We must have less glass and more colour!"
2) Building with coloured masonry is under construction.
3) "The colour! It's horrible!"

Fin. Curtain.

And also:
1) "We have too many blue and grey glass buildings. We must have less glass and more colour!"
2) Building with coloured masonry is under construction.
3) "The colour! It's horrible!"

Fin. Curtain.

Recall @CanadianNational 's Five Stages of Architectural Mania:

1) OMG - that rendering looks fantastic. I can't wait to see this built. This will really help that area. Can they make it taller?
2) This one has been taking way too long. Wait - is that activity on site? No? Damn. This one is really taking too long. Why is it taking so long?
3) Hey! - the concrete is above ground level now it's looking good. It should really take off now. Can't wait to see this one finished.
4) Oh f*&ck - Is that the cladding? It doesn't look anything like the rendering. This is horrible! I can't believe this. F*&king Toronto. What the f*&k are they thinking? I never want to see this building again. (furious ultimatums about proper taste in cladding fly thick and fast, darkening the site).
5) (sigh) Well, altogether, I guess it looks alright. Could have been a lot better, though.
Hey, have you seen this new proposal?

AoD

VG0mBLm.jpg

92Q6NZR.jpg

Had it resembled the rendering it would have still been offensive but less noticeable... the brown is quite jarring.

I wonder what sort of rent this place will command.... Besides Ryerson students, I'm not sure who this will appeal to.

Had it resembled the rendering it would have still been offensive but less noticeable... the brown is quite jarring.

I wonder what sort of rent this place will command.... Besides Ryerson students, I'm not sure who this will appeal to.
Gee, do you think that people that want to rent and live in the neighbourhood really care of how the building looks on the outside?

Gee, do you think that people that want to rent and live in the neighbourhood really care of how the building looks on the outside?
I actually didn't say I was thinking that.... I'm mostly curious given the location. The proximity to Dundas Square where loud events are frequent during the spring/summer weekends really has me wondering who would want to live here beyond Ryerson students.

However, I do think some people care about the building they live in and what it looks like. Not sure if your emphasis on rent was meant to suggest that renters don't care... I disagree with that.

I actually didn't say I was thinking that.... I'm mostly curious given the location. The proximity to Dundas Square where loud events are frequent during the spring/summer weekends really has me wondering who would want to live here beyond Ryerson students.

However, I do think some people care about the building they live in and what it looks like. Not sure if your emphasis on rent was meant to suggest that renters don't care... I disagree with that.
i would think that a renter would less care of the outside looks of the structure than a condo owner would, no?

... 'becoming apathetic'? That boat sailed a long time ago. Toronto lost the plot at some point in the 1980s. Ever since, a 'frontier town' mentality has prevailed. Lack of leadership. Lack of vision. Lack of planning. A city mired in stalemate due to politics and polarization. Our relative affluence and prosperity have been effective smoke screens for these problems. I mean, who doesn't love Toronto, right?

That this pile of doodoo could get built at such a central location, one designed by a respected firm no less, sort of says everything we need to say... and yes, I know there are some good things happening, some good design etc. It's just that quality and excellence seem to be running against the wider grain, and this is the problem.

I can agree on the lack of planning and vision but, somehow it usually works out. The rest is just the usual hyperbole. It's an ugly tower. This is a symptom present in any urban centre including those with UDPs that are more than just advisory. Poor tastes are persistent. If only brokers ( which have to a sense of style to be successful) could be the developers with the drywall contractors sticking to drywall.

Page and Steele hasn't been a respected firm since Dickinson departed in the mid 1950s.

Could be worse...

TorontoStar Feb 24, 12:57am via twitterfeed
Why China is banning ‘bizarre’ and ‘odd-shaped’ architecture. on.thestar.com/21eH3vD

On a brighter note,

"Bizarre architecture that is not economical, functional, aesthetically pleasing or environmentally friendly will be forbidden, while construction techniques that generate less waste and use fewer resources, such as the use of prefabricated buildings, will be encouraged.”

Back