Toronto Vü Condos | 83.51m | 24s | Aspen Ridge | Hariri Pontarini

I was at the sales office a few days ago. I'm looking for a 1+den but everything that was on the price list did not have any walkout balconies, only the french style.

Anyone know when they plan to release suites, specifically 1+den, with walkout balconies?

thanks.

I think they've released all their suites and are pretty much sold out, ... so what you see is what you get.

North Tower lockers

How many square feet are the lockers in the North Tower selling
for $2,500? Is there a montly maintenace fee and realty taxes on
these lockers. If so how much initially?

IMG_april-02-09-0009.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0012.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0014.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0019.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0020.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0021.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0026.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0028.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0031.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0043.jpg

IMG_april-02-09-0044.jpg

How many square feet are the lockers in the North Tower selling
for $2,500? Is there a montly maintenace fee and realty taxes on
these lockers. If so how much initially?

There is only one size available. I don't think its very big though.

But yeah, you have to pay monthly maintenance fee on in and pretty sure realty tax. But since the SQ is so small its pretty much nothing...

Tinted Glass

There have been a lot of comments about the red brick and how great it looks. What I have not seen is any response to the green tinted glass that is being installed. Am I the only one who doesn't like it? Didn't sales models and renderings suggest clear glass being used?

3477517670_bf268109d1_b.jpg

There was an interesting article by the architecture critic Lisa Rochon in the Globe and Mail about a year ago. I found a copy of it on her personal website. Here are some excerpts:

... Title: Tinting the sky to death one tower at a time

... Subtitle: Ubiquitous green glass has doomed our city buildings to darkness

... A sickly green patina has washed over the glass towers of our cities.

... It is the awful colour of hospital corridors and encroaching disease. Green-tinted glass has metastasized from Vancouver to Toronto to New York to Shanghai, dumbing down the exhilarating potential of the skyscraper, mortifying the skyline.

... Quoting James Carpenter, a New York-based glass designer: "Green glass has absolutely no response to the sky. These towers are occupying the sky plane, but, because they have a very distinct colour of their own, they don't have much of a reflectivity to them. They're really quite dead."

... Tinted glass is cheaper to buy than other clearer, crisper glass. That's because the glass that has swept the condominium market contains high levels of iron oxide, an impurity that exists in sand. The more iron you add to the glass the greener it becomes and the greater its ability to stop the transmission of infrared rays from the sun. The tint allows for the redirection of heat out of the building.

... Tinted glass, which typically transmits only about 15 per cent of natural light, got kick-started in the 1970s as a response to the energy crisis. So, while it became less expensive to heat buildings, the green glass required far greater use of artificial lighting to compensate for the near elimination of natural daylight.

... The challenge these days is to express an architecture that is not only technologically advanced but enticing to the eye. A popular device these days, coloured spandrels inserted horizontally into a glass curtain wall is a nice touch, but it's hardly interactive. For works of transcendence in glass look to American architect Steven Holl, just appointed to design, with Canadian associates Bortolotto Design Architect, a district energy building to fuel the new West Donlands neighbourhood in Toronto.

... Take away the tint of the glass tower and we start to see the sky for what it is: a changing, subtle landscape. Heavy with weather, inspiration and difference.

Last edited:
Green glass is quite humanizing I find. But like anything it needs to be used in moderation.

I agree. Those green windows are ugly. They are like those ugly yellow windows
on the Spire. There is no design layout to make it attractive.
They are put in a hodge podge manner. It looks like the installer forgot to order
enough clear glass windows and put in what ever they had lying around in the
warehouse. It was not shown this way in the showroom model or in any of the
brochures. Again we get screwed by the builder.

I agree. Those green windows are ugly. They are like those ugly yellow windows
on the Spire. There is no design layout to make it attractive.
They are put in a hodge podge manner. It looks like the installer forgot to order
enough clear glass windows and put in what ever they had lying around in the
warehouse. It was not shown this way in the showroom model or in any of the
brochures. Again we get screwed by the builder.
The green is ugly but I like the yellow accents on the Spire building.

If the renders didn't show green glass then that's pretty unfortunate.

If you guys are calling colour of Vu's glass green, then our beloved Spire is just as green.

21 May 2009 photo update

^Mozo (and Rezen) wins this beauty contest hands down! Vu disappoints imho....:( Especially the completed tower, the green glass and dull brownish red brick make it look like a c.1998 Vancouver development. I've tried to show some better angles of this hulking beast today.

From Jarvis and Gerrard:

dsc00294yev.jpg

dsc00298e.jpg

Sinfully ugly ain't it?

dsc00302l.jpg

More promising:

dsc00304n.jpg

A much better vu:

dsc00307j.jpg

dsc00312k.jpg

Tolerable if rather fake:

dsc00311z.jpg