Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Just because we're doing the flooding impacts here, I want to note a couple of things, not Transit related where people will find them.

1) Area around the Ontario Science Centre is flooded.

2) Large trees have fallen and are floating down current over the bike path, at speed. Should go w/o saying.......but steer clear of all ravine/low-lying areas, very dangerous.

Just because we're doing the flooding impacts here, I want to note a couple of things, not Transit related where people will find them.

1) Area around the Ontario Science Centre is flooded.

2) Large trees have fallen and are floating down current over the bike path, at speed. Should go w/o saying.......but steer clear of all ravine/low-lying areas, very dangerous.

And - totally wrong thread for this - power is out in various parts of the city. I look forward to reading yet another report on our wet weather preparedness.

AoD

Why would GO and VIA have the same departure boards? If you're looking to catch a GO train, VIA departures are irrelevant to you, and vice versa. Merging the two makes about as much sense as showing GO buses on the train departure board.

The only thing that would be achieved by changing the current system is cluttering up the boards quicker, and seeing less departures that are further off in the future than you currently do. By all means let's have GO departure boards in the VIA area, and VIA departure boards in the GO area, but putting them on the same physical screen would be horrendous.
I don't think it would be horrendous at all. It would be very useful for someone going from, say, Ottawa to Port Credit, a trip that would include both systems. As GO expands (and, optimistically, Via too), these types of mulit-agency trips are only going to get more common.

Most train stations I've used have screens for intercity and regional trains in the same area. Sometimes they're on the same physical screens like at Milan Central for example. And sometimes they're on separate screens next to each other. Union is the only station I know of where the screens for intercity, regional, and airport trains are completely separated from each other.

I don't think it would be horrendous at all. It would be very useful for someone going from, say, Ottawa to Port Credit, a trip that would include both systems. As GO expands (and, optimistically, Via too), these types of mulit-agency trips are only going to get more common.

Most train stations I've used have screens for intercity and regional trains in the same area. Sometimes they're on the same physical screens like at Milan Central for example. And sometimes they're on separate screens next to each other. Union is the only station I know of where the screens for intercity, regional, and airport trains are completely separated from each other.
Well, like I said, that's why there should be boards from both agencies in all parts of the station.

I don't think burying later GO departures to show closer VIA trains, or vice versa, is the answer. Keep them separate, but have signs for both systems.

The VIA concourse already has GO Transit departure screens.

I don't think you gain much by combining them since VIA boards at only one spot in the station. If you're waiting in the York or Bay concourse, you very likely have no need for know VIA departures.

Back