Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

About the project from the designers: https://www.lab-au.com/flux There is only one image I've found so far:
okay there's one without "people" … and this one:
seems rather dark

I was walking through Union on my way to work earlier and I started to wonder about the sustainability of the stores east of the York Concourse now that subway access has been rerouted.

When I came in from the moat next to the Tims kiosk I looked east towards the now closed subway entrance and it was a ghost town. I wonder how long shops like Greenhouse, Danish Pastry Hut and the like will survive with the severely decreased pedestrian traffic.

I was walking through Union on my way to work earlier and I started to wonder about the sustainability of the stores east of the York Concourse now that subway access has been rerouted.

When I came in from the moat next to the Tims kiosk I looked east towards the now closed subway entrance and it was a ghost town. I wonder how long shops like Greenhouse, Danish Pastry Hut and the like will survive with the severely decreased pedestrian traffic.
The Danish pastry place will survive (at least with MY custom! I would not be surprised if they will manage to get lower rents while they are not on a direct route between GO and TTC - though when it all opens (one can dream!) many people will doubtless continue to use the moat route.

The Danish pastry place will survive (at least with MY custom! I would not be surprised if they will manage to get lower rents while they are not on a direct route between GO and TTC - though when it all opens (one can dream!) many people will doubtless continue to use the moat route.

One can only hope. Right now they are in a distant corner of the station isolated from pretty much everything.

What does the walkway where we used to go look like now? Did they put a barrier down?

It has metal barricades. They have already gutted the area.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if they closed the current exit from the subway in the near future as well. Once the Bay Concourse has wall coverings and a proper floor, I can see them redirecting people there and closing the moat access.

What does the walkway where we used to go look like now? Did they put a barrier down?
Coming from the VIA Concourse east side corridor to what is technically the “Arrivals” area you would see walls and hoarding on your right all the way to the stairwell up to the Great Hall. As of Tuesday, hoarding continued on the other side of the stairs until the Biscotteria, which was always a bit lonely over there and now more so.

Once the Bay Concourse has wall coverings and a proper floor, I can see them redirecting people there and closing the moat access.
Why close the “TD Carriageway”/central moat? To facilitate finishing the north side art and whatever they have planned for the south side? That could be done in two stages, but only once Bay is open cuz this new corridor is pretty busy already.

Why close the “TD Carriageway”/central moat? To facilitate finishing the north side art and whatever they have planned for the south side? That could be done in two stages, but only once Bay is open cuz this new corridor is pretty busy already.

Yes but there is a section of the moat at the current exit from the subway station that needs to be refurbished.

You can't refurbish it with people using it.

Yes but there is a section of the moat at the current exit from the subway station that needs to be refurbished.

You can't refurbish it with people using it.
99% of the moat tunnel has new granite flooring - as has the west Front moat They can easily deal with the floor installation in the area at the east end of the tunnel part - near the TTC - in two tranches once the other links between TTC and Union Station are operational.

I was just about to post some similar pics. It’s a bit hard to make out from this angle but that upper pathway is a lot wider than it seems. I remember that was some fretting about it a while ago in this thread.

I was just about to post some similar pics. It’s a bit hard to make out from this angle but that upper pathway is a lot wider than it seems. I remember that was some fretting about it a while ago in this thread.
I though it just had enough room for 2 people to walk side by side? Is that really enough?

I though it just had enough room for 2 people to walk side by side? Is that really enough?
According to AODA standards:
"The exterior path must have a minimum clear width of 1,500 mm, but this clear width can be reduced to 1,200 mm to serve as a turning space where the exterior path connects with a curb ramp."

Back