Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Ye olde Leather Shop Bypass:
To whit.
Opened up quite a bit already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: syn
I was just about to post some similar pics. It’s a bit hard to make out from this angle but that upper pathway is a lot wider than it seems. I remember that was some fretting about it a while ago in this thread.
You are correct, but don't forget that "fretting' is what we do around here!

That train station (the second Union) actually wasn't built until 1873. You have to wonder how they did that illustration/photo, being before airplanes. You can see by then there was already no water around the current site. And The Esplanade was already filled with train tracks, to the south of the station. Maybe there was a silo or something to climb.

That train station (the second Union) actually wasn't built until 1873. You have to wonder how they did that illustration/photo, being before airplanes. You can see by then there was already no water around the current site. And The Esplanade was already filled with train tracks, to the south of the station. Maybe there was a silo or something to climb.

Looks low enough that it could've been something the climbed.

A hot air balloon is another possibility.

Back in the early 1800's, docks where built out into the lake along the shoreline of Front St and the Esplanade. They have turn up during the excavation for the foundation of buildings as late as 2017 for the Scotia Tower. CityPlace saw a fair number as well as well along Front St. Have photos of all these sites.

When Grand Trunk came to town, they started to land fill the area along Front St to get tracks down to the docks. Then to get to the east side. The City had a hand in the filling of the lake to get industries there as well to the point it didn't stop until about 1920 for most of the waterfront from the Portland to Sunnyside.

One only has to spend a few minutes on the internet to research this or go to the Toronto Archives to get drawings and photos of what was there beginning of 1800's to what there now. Most people don't have a clue they live, work, drive, cycle or walk on land that was once water for Toronto Bay.

As note, Hot Balloon would be the only option for that view of 1873 as there wasn't anything that tall there then

I could see into the Bay Concourse earlier and the upper deck. The ceiling is coming along well and the pillars are formed. It seems to be coming along surprisingly well which may be why they are working on things such as they are in the moat currently.

I am surprised at how quickly things are progressing now.

I could see into the Bay Concourse earlier and the upper deck. The ceiling is coming along well and the pillars are formed. It seems to be coming along surprisingly well which may be why they are working on things such as they are in the moat currently.

I am surprised at how quickly things are progressing now.
If you walk along platforms 7-8 you can somewhat see into the bay concourse (or at least the floor of it)

They have been polishing the floors on the (long-closed off) westerly of the two 'side ramps' that lead from the VIA concourse to the Front Street Promenade. It looks as though it will open soon (when, I assume, they will close the eastern one for a few weeks of floor polishing too.) Both have had their stonework repaired - it IS moving along.

They have been polishing the floors on the (long-closed off) westerly of the two 'side ramps' that lead from the VIA concourse to the Front Street Promenade. It looks as though it will open soon (when, I assume, they will close the eastern one for a few weeks of floor polishing too.) Both have had their stonework repaired - it IS moving along.

Does anyone have idea what the side ramps are actually being used for post-reno

Back