Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

It really is, whenever I arrive at Onion a bit too early (better than the opposite) the present food pickings are very limited...and a Tim Horton's with no donuts? (trust me, my donut consumption is rare)

Unconstitutional!

Have you tried what Tim's passes off as doughnuts these days? Better off without them! Go to Danish Pastry House instead!

Have you tried what Tim's passes off as doughnuts these days? Better off without them! Go to Danish Pastry House instead!
Make no mistake, I don't need a donut for nutritional purposes, but for buffering stomach juices when swallowing an anti-inflammatory. Last time I bought at the Danish Pastry House it was very expensive for something that required liquid to wash it down, it was so dry and stale. I almost choked on it running for the train.

Where Hortons is truly terrible is their coffee! Their sugary carbohydrate paste is at least affordable, and what you see is what you get.

Make no mistake, I don't need a donut for nutritional purposes, but for buffering stomach juices when swallowing an anti-inflammatory. Last time I bought at the Danish Pastry House it was very expensive for something that required liquid to wash it down, it was so dry and stale. I almost choked on it running for the train.

Where Hortons is truly terrible is their coffee! Their sugary carbohydrate paste is at least affordable, and what you see is what you get.

Hmm, I've certainly never had that experience w/Danish Pastry House. Either they had an off day or you tried some product I've never had. I'm quite keen on their Snegles. (Cinnamon bun, drizzled w/chocolate, w/custard inside)

I like the Pastry House ones with custard inside,

Snegles. They're the ones always easy to chew, soft and moister (and mixes amazing well with coffee, even the Timmies), helped by the custard. Not as damp/moist as cinnabon but MUCH moreso than the non-custard pastries.

100x better than the drier stuff without custard at Pastry House.

Buy fresh in the weekday peak. Mornings or evenings.

53E4FD6A-B12B-4430-B9D1-E0484E28DD7E.jpeg

Thats the Snegle.

Does not look like it has custard, but it does....
it's just "creme bruled" (deliciously slightly scorched brown layer that blends with the dough!)

So these are the specific "oh, these are better than expected" ones for that precise reason if you catch a fresh batch.

(Been so far fortunate not to catch this specific one stale. I have much better luck on these than the plain fillings-free croissants. THOSE get stale fast, but Snegles go stale slower)

Skip the croissants. Go straight to Snegles.

Attachments

• 53E4FD6A-B12B-4430-B9D1-E0484E28DD7E.jpeg
    53E4FD6A-B12B-4430-B9D1-E0484E28DD7E.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
... or you tried some product I've never had.
It was a chocolate croissant, and a few weeks prior, a regular one. Dry both times, and chocolate paste on an empty stomach is a gamble, but I thought it would guarantee some moisture to it. Remember, this was for a hurried snack to buffer an NSAID (I was off on 50-100 km cycle jaunts both times, and muscles are in incredible shape, but joints need pre-emptive attention, I'm less than a year from 70). That's why a plastic Boston Creme dog nut from Hortons is the ticket.

Croissant! That explains it.

Buy Snegle next time.. Even a 24hour-dried Snegle is 10x more moist. The top edge may get dry (discard it if you want, it's only 10% the mass of a snegle) but the bottom is always reminding me of a "Boston Cream + Cinnabon + Creme Brule" mix even when I takeout some home. Never gets hard as dried chocolate paste.

Sure, expensive and lighter than a Large Cinnabon but yummy. I often overpaid for the SMALL Cinnabon to keep my weight down (saved only a dollar for something much smaller), so Snegle actually becomes a good buy for me in that portion-controlled POV.

Snegle always looks visually "unimpressive" but it's the "better than expected" one.
Ignore the mudane croissants.

(Apricot pastry? Thanks for the tip)

Last edited:

Back