Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The work on the ceiling of the Great Hall is moving remarkably fast - especially so since they appear only to work at night. They have now completed 25% of it and I must say it looks much better. (I assume it does not need much actual repair and the work is mainly cleaning.)
They have also poured the base layer of concrete at the west end of the west moat (so all of it is now done) and brought in a large 'cherry picker" for some reason.

The work on the ceiling of the Great Hall is moving remarkably fast - especially so since they appear only to work at night. They have now completed 25% of it and I must say it looks much better. (I assume it does not need much actual repair and the work is mainly cleaning.)

I wonder if they are soda blasting or scrubbing it? I would assume scrubbing otherwise there would be an insane amount of dust everywhere.

Oh ok, you don't seem to hear about it as much. Is it because its considered part of the Grand Hall revitalization?

It has been ongoing prior to that (the washrooms were completed a year or two ago) but only now have they gone gung-ho on it. The entire station is being renovated, there is no part that is being done specifically.

The Great Hall and the West Wing get talked about more because they are most visible parts of the station. The Departures Concourse (Via Concourse) has a ton of foot traffic but it is not the part that everyone talks about and wants to see. If you are heading to the Dome, Aquarium or Harbourfront you are not likely to pass through there.

Personally I am glad they have gutted the Departures Concourse. That place was a mishmash of renovations over the years and needed a facelift.

Personally I am glad they have gutted the Departures Concourse. That place was a mishmash of renovations over the years and needed a facelift.

They not have released any renderings of the space, and it is restricted by heritage as to what they can do. Facelift or not, it's not likely to be all that spectacular. What it needed was complete demolition.

AoD

They not have released any renderings of the space, and it is restricted by heritage as to what they can do. Facelift or not, it's not likely to be all that spectacular. What it needed was complete demolition.

AoD

If I am not mistaken, was the goal not to return it to as close to original as possible?

Yes, the trouble was the what was original was for the lack of a better word, spartan.

AoD

What was there just prior to demolition was likely not original. Even if it was, it would be better off being restored/replaced given that it was not well maintained over the years.

Back