Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

A useful idea. I cannot count how many times I went in search of a pug at Union. It would be nice to have them all across Union as opposed to just the York Concourse. I can see a few people sitting in the Great Hall, West Wing or even in the Departures Concourse waiting for a VIA train with a near dead phone. Currently the only accessible plugs in the Great Hall are located on the stairwells.

Did you go to Union during the December 2013 ice storm? People sitting around all the plugs throughout Union (and every public space really) charging their phones, significant chunks of the city were without power for a few days.

What?

I've walked into Union Station 2 minutes before the departure of my train on a number of occasions.
Yep. We commuters can do that in Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal.

But he was referring to the waits at a small stop. For flag stops and tiny suburban shack stations, you often have to wait an hour if the train is late. Or several hours if you are deep into the prairies on the Canadian train route. It would be lovely to have realtime VIA delays to the mobile phone

Not for all stations on all lines at all times of day. Richmond Hill, Lakeshore west of Aldershot, Barrie north of Aurora, Kitchener past wherever, Markham past Unionville, and Milton will have service more towards 60 minutes and some of them no midday service.
It is an interesting question (raised inadvertently) will someone heading north of Aurora (to pick one example) take one of those every 15 minute trains and continue on by bus or is the intent that they wait for the hourly train that takes them directly to their destination? Will there even be bus extensions of the ReR trains?

But he was referring to the waits at a small stop. For flag stops and tiny suburban shack stations, you often have to wait an hour if the train is late. Or several hours if you are deep into the prairies on the Canadian train route. It would be lovely to have realtime VIA delays to the mobile phone

The VIA (mobile) website and app has real-time train status for corridor trains. I've stuck around to have another drink in Downtown Kitchener or Guelph because of a late eastbound train, I just periodically checked the train status.

The VIA (mobile) website and app has real-time train status for corridor trains. I've stuck around to have another drink in Downtown Kitchener or Guelph because of a late eastbound train, I just periodically checked the train status.
Yes, it's updated often and is actually VERY handy. I use it (on their regular website usually) when meeting people at Union.

There are a number of occasions where I've arrived at various on-line stations minutes prior to the departure of the train. There is no need to arrive there "an hour early".

And what's to say that a train leaving Toronto, or Ottawa, or Montreal can't be an hour late? It happens not completely infrequently.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Also of note, as I don't think anyone has posted in here about it yet, demolition work of the floor tiles in the Great Hall has begun on the eastern side where scaffolding was recently taken down.

Also of note, as I don't think anyone has posted in here about it yet, demolition work of the floor tiles in the Great Hall has begun on the eastern side where scaffolding was recently taken down.

You mean the marble? I know they were looking at restoring the floor but had no idea they were ripping out the marble floor.

Just back from Union Station and they have been busy (or busy in places we can see).

* The west moat (about 75% of it) has got its base layer of concrete and they are busily getting the final section (towards York) ready.
* The Great Hall ceiling is being worked on (maybe at night as they are using a cherry-picker. They have scrubbed (?) a section above the east end doors but I suspect it still needs to be polished as it looks a bit messy so far. As this is above a pedestrian path I assume they may be doing this work at night.
* They have erected scaffolding over the archway leading to the ramp from Great Hall to VIA and one half of the ramp is closed.
* In the VIA area at base of ramp more sections are closed off and more of the floor has been repaired/remade. Lots of ceilings and walls have the supports for new coverings.
* The east moat, as noted above, is moving along too with new doors leading into Union installed and two staircases.
* They have erected scaffolding over the closed off area of the east moat so that they can deal with the facade. I assume that they hope to be able to finish off the facade overhead before this section of the moat is opened up. (The area of facade immediately over the two remaining east doors has no scaffolding so I assume it will be done only when these doors are closed and they are excavating the final (?) section of moat.

Just back from Union Station and they have been busy (or busy in places we can see).

* The west moat (about 75% of it) has got its base layer of concrete and they are busily getting the final section (towards York) ready.
* The Great Hall ceiling is being worked on (maybe at night as they are using a cherry-picker. They have scrubbed (?) a section above the east end doors but I suspect it still needs to be polished as it looks a bit messy so far. As this is above a pedestrian path I assume they may be doing this work at night.
* They have erected scaffolding over the archway leading to the ramp from Great Hall to VIA and one half of the ramp is closed.
* In the VIA area at base of ramp more sections are closed off and more of the floor has been repaired/remade. Lots of ceilings and walls have the supports for new coverings.
* The east moat, as noted above, is moving along too with new doors leading into Union installed and two staircases.
* They have erected scaffolding over the closed off area of the east moat so that they can deal with the facade. I assume that they hope to be able to finish off the facade overhead before this section of the moat is opened up. (The area of facade immediately over the two remaining east doors has no scaffolding so I assume it will be done only when these doors are closed and they are excavating the final (?) section of moat.

I was at Union earlier and I am surprised at the progress of the work. I like what they did with the ceiling in the eastern end of the Great Hall. I dread the work progressing further west in the hall given that they are tearing up the floor. When they get more towards the centre I wonder how they will manage the traffic.

Back