Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

In all fairness, some tourists might get confused and think that the train with the airport logo takes them to the airport located 2 kilometers away, instead of to the one located 26 kilometers away.

Amazing photos MafaldaBoy. It's amazing what a little bit of sandblasting can do to a heritage structure, it looks brand new. At least I assume it's sandblasting, I'm not sure how they restore the exterior/take off all the grime.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all fairness, some tourists might get confused and think that the train with the airport logo takes them to the airport located 2 kilometers away, instead of to the one located 26 kilometers away.
A handful perhaps. I bet more don't know what UP Express is. And at least they'd be walking in the right direction!

A handful perhaps. I bet more don't know what UP Express is. And at least they'd be walking in the right direction!

Do you anticipate a large number of people will just randomly show up at Union because they heard of a connection to Pearson but won't know what its called....or, rather, people will have looked into this new link to Pearson and seen that its called UPe and might be looking for signs to get to UPe?

I would think the latter would be more likely.

Do you anticipate a large number of people will just randomly show up at Union because they heard of a connection to Pearson but won't know what its called ...

Yes. I expect many have heard about the airport express train, or the Pearson express train. However neither the words "Airport" or "Pearson" appear in the signage. Instead there's a massive fail by Metrolinx in placing an acronym. Some might even think that UP Express is part of PATH ... some will wonder where the PATH trains are ...

It's shoddy amateurism.

how do other cities with multiple airports manage links to them??? Ex Would a tourist in NYC board the JFK Link train thinking it will take them La Guardia? Or how about boarding Heathrow express and expecting to arrive at London city. I think travellers are pretty resourceful and knowledgeable. Small town Toronto mindedness strikes again

how do other cities with multiple airports manage links to them??? Ex Would a tourist in NYC board the JFK Link train thinking it will take them La Guardia? Or how about boarding Heathrow express and expecting to arrive at London city. I think travellers are pretty resourceful and knowledgeable. Small town Toronto mindedness strikes again
Well in the case of the JFK Link and the Heathrow express, they put the airport name in the name of the train.

Shame we didn't do that in the signage!

I think that union station will be plastered with posters and billboards advertising the UP Express service. Anyone entering the station with their eyes open will know what the Up Express is.

I think that union station will be plastered with posters and billboards advertising the UP Express service. Anyone entering the station with their eyes open will know what the Up Express is.
Why? They'd be looking for the Pearson train. Not some odd acronym.

Union-Pearson Express??? Maybe they should have written it out vs using the logo...

Since they are at Union......they could call it (there) the Pearson Express.....when at Pearson they could sign it the Union Express.....overall the line is still UPe but when you are at one end or the other, one part of the name is kinda moot.

Since they are at Union......they could call it (there) the Pearson Express.....when at Pearson they could sign it the Union Express.....overall the line is still UPe but when you are at one end or the other, one part of the name is kinda moot.
Have you ever once seen anyone call the Heathrow Express, the Paddington Express? Oops ...

Why? They'd be looking for the Pearson train. Not some odd acronym.

Only those of us who read this thread will know that UP stands for Union Pearson. It needs to be spelled out somewhere, not all over the place, but in at least one or two key locations, preferably with the logo so that non-regulars will know that the UP actually stands for Union Pearson and isn't just some meaningless acronym, or something else. Wife: "Oh look Howard, it's the UP train." Husband: "That's great Gladys, but where do we catch the DOWN train?"

Why is everyone jumping up and down to defend this terrible signage? It would be so simple to put YYZ, Pearson or an airport symbol in the sign. Not having it is super dumb and inexcusable.

Interesting that reading the comments above I can both agree and disagree with most of you... On one hand I agree the signage may be too simple but at the same time I immediately think well its not overly difficult to quickly educate yourself on what this "UP train" is...

The good news, I think, is that we finally have the opportunity to discuss things such as signage and this train is finally a reality. Regardless of its overall success it is a connection that has been needed/desired for some time and I am delighted that it is almost here. Anyone want to spend a $20 with me while I ride this thing for no reason? LOL.

Back