Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Why? They'd be looking for the Pearson train. Not some odd acronym.

At least they're not looking for the Air Rail Link (ARL) anymore. Or Blue 22.

These are peppered around Vancouver:

4366206065_3d67eba618.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/viriyincy/4366206065/in/set-72157623332558817

The new wrap for the 192 bus doesn't have an airplane on it either.

C'mon people. It's the international symbol for an airport. Compare to Montreal:

747-express-bus.jpg

Attachments

• 747-express-bus.jpg
    747-express-bus.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,276
That also confounds me. The 192 now looks like it belongs to canada post.

Last edited by a moderator:
That also confounds me. The 192 now looks like it belongs to canada post.

I had never heard of the 747 bus, but when I saw one while walking down the street in Montreal, I instantly knew what it must be from the logo and the route number. Whoever put that together knows what they are doing.

Dublin also uses 747
dublinbus_airlink_747_express_to_dublin_airport.jpg

Attachments

• dublinbus_airlink_747_express_to_dublin_airport.jpg
    dublinbus_airlink_747_express_to_dublin_airport.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 2,151
Interesting that reading the comments above I can both agree and disagree with most of you... On one hand I agree the signage may be too simple but at the same time I immediately think well its not overly difficult to quickly educate yourself on what this "UP train" is...

One of the points of signage is that you don't need to be educated about what it means, it's supposed to be intuitive to anyone looking at it. Even if they've never been to the city before.

Last edited:
I had never heard of the 747 bus, but when I saw one while walking down the street in Montreal, I instantly knew what it must be from the logo and the route number. Whoever put that together knows what they are doing.

Same, when I visited Montreal, that bus really stood out. Now if only TTC or GO can operate a bus like that from downtown, or other places.

Same, when I visited Montreal, that bus really stood out. Now if only TTC or GO can operate a bus like that from downtown, or other places.

I use the 747 about 4 or 5 return trips a year from PET airport to DT Montreal. The way I, and many others from observation, use it is very similar to the 192 here in Toronto. That is I get on at the airport and get off at stop 1 (Lionel-Groulx metro station) then take the metro to my hotel. On my return to the airport I take the metro out to Lionel-Groulx and hop on the bus to the airport.

The only difference in the services is that the 747 continues on through the downtown whereas the 192 operates as a pure shuttle/extension of the subway and does not continue on through the city. Given the differences in size of the city (ie. it is a long bus ride from Kipling to downtown) this makes sense to me as I can't see a bus being a more efficient way of getting downtown than the subway.

As for GO, they do have bus services to the airport....just not from downtown. As I have said before, what GO should be doing (IMO) is meeting every train or bus that goes to Malton Station from downtown with a bus that extends the route into the airport.

One of the points of signage is that you don't need to be educated about what it means, it's supposed to be intuitive to anyone looking at it. Even if they've never been to the city before.

Exactly. Even if you've never heard of UPX or don't know that Toronto's main airport is called Pearson, you should be able to determine from the signage that to the right is where you find the train to take you to the airport.

Personally, I would have put the UPX and the standard airport logo side-by-side, with "Union-Pearson Express" in a smaller font underneath (smaller so that it fits within the horizontal space of the two logos side by side). It might take up a bit more room, but at least it would be unambiguous what it means.

Exactly. Even if you've never heard of UPX or don't know that Toronto's main airport is called Pearson, you should be able to determine from the signage that to the right is where you find the train to take you to the airport.

I think they understand that the people in that category are generally imbeciles who wouldn't even understand that. Maps and signs are generally ignored because stupid people are to dumb to understand them and smart people don't need them. Just l;ook at the massive lines at TTC stations of people asking about fares or directions when it's directly in fron of their face the whole time. They put zero effort into it. It's irrelevant.

Last edited:
I think they understand that the people in that category are generally imbeciles who wouldn't even understand that. Maps and signs are generally ignored because stupid people are to dumb to understand them and smart people don't need them.
So basically you oppose wayfinding because anyone who needs it is an imbecile?

I think they understand that the people in that category are generally imbeciles who wouldn't even understand that. Maps and signs are generally ignored because stupid people are to dumb to understand them and smart people don't need them.

I consider myself a pretty savvy transit user, and even I've made use of signage quite a few times, especially when I'm using a part of the system that I've never used before. I think it just needs to be intuitive enough that you don't have to stand there for 2 minutes to try and decipher it (see: no parking signs with time exceptions), but at the same time provide enough information to actually be useful.

I think they understand that the people in that category are generally imbeciles who wouldn't even understand that. Maps and signs are generally ignored because stupid people are to dumb to understand them and smart people don't need them. Just l;ook at the massive lines at TTC stations of people asking about fares or directions when it's directly in fron of their face the whole time. They put zero effort into it. It's irrelevant.

People can be pretty stupid but using a TTC station as an example doesn't really demonstrate your point well since their signage is extremely poor.

Back