Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Almost makes you long for the days when construction crews didn't have to ask--they just moved in and people accepted it. Weston residents should be grateful; when most railway stations in London were built, they demolished entire neighbourhoods for the tracks.

What is this nonsense that they should be happy just because what happened elsewhere (London) was a disgrace.

What is this nonsense that they should be happy just because what happened elsewhere (London) was a disgrace.
I'm not aware of a single house being destroyed during this construction. I believe they need to borrow some back yards ... and there may be a couple of houses that won't be inhabitable for a while. Seems pretty minor ... though you'd think that they'd be a little clearer and politic when contacting residents.

Perhaps if those in Weston hadn't pushed hard for such an over-engineered solution, there would be less impacts to the community.

They just want a livable community in spite of economic stagnation and high concentrations of poverty. I find the rail expansion projects in this corridor disturbing in terms of just how little thought is put into community relations. The mentality seems to be just to ram everything through, even if only minor efforts need to be made on the relations front. Fortunately, civil society comes into the picture.

They just want a livable community in spite of economic stagnation and high concentrations of poverty. I find the rail expansion projects in this corridor disturbing in terms of just how little thought is put into community relations. The mentality seems to be just to ram everything through, even if only minor efforts need to be made on the relations front. Fortunately, civil society comes into the picture.

Normally, this is what expropriation was created for. Sometimes there are no good answers, and if a project is a go - people in a certain area are more affected by the plans to implement infrastructure/transit.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...

this is precisely why the ARL should have many local stops and should be run like a subway.

this is precisely why the ARL should have many local stops and should be run like a subway.

I am not sure too many people would be opposed to this as long as the fares were like subway fares .....$3......my bet though, is that the economic models have been run over and over and they have concluded that the only way to make economic sense of this rail link is to be able to charge around $20 for each trip to the airport....and if you are gonna charge $20 you can't be stopping like a subway.

I am not sure too many people would be opposed to this as long as the fares were like subway fares .....$3......my bet though, is that the economic models have been run over and over and they have concluded that the only way to make economic sense of this rail link is to be able to charge around $20 for each trip to the airport....and if you are gonna charge $20 you can't be stopping like a subway.

from what i've heard, the model they chose doesn't make too much economic sense. it will probably operate at a loss and need government subsidy to continue operating, which they would get. you figure with at least 4 tracks in the corridor shared between GO and the ARL, they could figure out how to run GO trains, express trains and subway like train service in unison. it doesn't really matter to me who builds it, who operates it and if it needs a subsudy to stay alive, as long as it has local stops and runs like a subway with GO transit or TTC like fares.

Back