Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I suspect we will see stopping trains using certain tracks and express trains using certain tracks, but don't forget that ARL trains won't be the only kind of express train running on the line.

yes, currently i think for express there's VIA, maybe amtrak? not sure if there are still CN freight trains running on the line since GO bought it. my peeve is that all this work is being done but there is no plan for a rapid transit like system in the corridor. building airport express service but not local rapid transit service is very short sighted and provides the least benefit. imagine how much cars you could take off the road and how much emission reduction we could have. the excuse against this type of rapid transit was always that the ARL needs exclusive rights to the two tracks and that such a system of sharing 4 tracks is too complicated.

All day Go connecting Woodbine, Etobicoke North, Weston, Eglinton and Bloor seems pretty much to me like rapid transit being planned in the corridor.

As for the current go rolling stock going to the airport - why would be want to build a connection that would likely be horrendously expensive along with an expensive elevated station to run existing Go to the airport? It won't be much of a hardship to transfer at Weston (the minimum) or possibly Woodbine or Etobicoke North for people coming from the west.

Alright, 2 quick questions. Is the spur being built as single or double track, and would the construction methods preclude the conversion to an elevated rapid transit line (transit city rolling stock is standard gauge)

Last edited:
I don't know if anything has been published on the details of the schematic airport spur. SNC Lavalin was 100% responsible for it until they backed out.

I don't think it precludes building some sort of Finch-Etobicoke link into the airport via Woodbine Racetrack station. Such a setup would complement the airport express like Heathrow Connect compliments Heathrow Express.

I don't know if anything has been published on the details of the schematic airport spur. SNC Lavalin was 100% responsible for it until they backed out.
There used to be some documents on the spur, including some drawings, on the Weston Coalition website, including some GTAA documents. Haven't looked for years though ...

All day Go connecting Woodbine, Etobicoke North, Weston, Eglinton and Bloor seems pretty much to me like rapid transit being planned in the corridor.

that is not the case from what i've heard. most of those all day GO trains will just be passing through, not stopping.

There will be express trains, but there is still going to be at least hourly or half hourly service to the stations within the 416.

There will be express trains, but there is still going to be at least hourly or half hourly service to the stations within the 416.

IIRC, at weston, there wasn't a whole lot of increase in GO trains from what there is now. you can't really call that rapid transit.

IIRC, at weston, there wasn't a whole lot of increase in GO trains from what there is now. you can't really call that rapid transit.

Weston will see at least hourly all-day service and enhanced peak service - possibly a peak train every 15 minutes. That's not subway level of service, but it's a massive service increase over what they have today.

Weston will see at least hourly all-day service and enhanced peak service - possibly a peak train every 15 minutes. That's not subway level of service, but it's a massive service increase over what they have today.

is there any documentation anywhere with future GO train frequencies for every station on the georgetown line within toronto?

is there any documentation anywhere with future GO train frequencies for every station on the georgetown line within toronto?

Station to station, no. But you can infer it from GO 2020, the RTP and the Georgetown South Project details about which trains will be stopping where.

GO 2020 designates the Georgetown South section as core rail, which calls for peak trains every 15-20 minutes and all-day service every 30 minutes.

The RTP calls for Regional Express, so we can assume they will serve Georgetown North and bypass Georgetown South.

We know that Airport trains will also stop at Weston, so those are in addition to the regional trains mentioned in GO 2020.

Bloor GO's rebuild will allow for Milton trains to stop there and Bolton trains could be able to stop at Weston, but since Stouffville trains don't stop along the part of the line they share with Lakeshore East it is inconclusive.

Last edited:
We know that Airport trains will also stop at Weston, so those are in addition to the regional trains mentioned in GO 2020.

Bloor GO's rebuild will allow for Milton trains to stop there and Bolton trains could be able to stop at Weston, but since Stouffville trains don't stop along the part of the line they share with Lakeshore East it is inconclusive.

it's not in the plans for bolton trains to stop in weston. those trains would be running on CP tracks and with the trench, i don't think there's a way to connect those tracks to the weston GO or weston ARL platforms.

what will the fare be like for the ARL stop at weston? how many ARL trains will stop at weston?

it's not in the plans for bolton trains to stop in weston. those trains would be running on CP tracks and with the trench, i don't think there's a way to connect those tracks to the weston GO or weston ARL platforms.

what will the fare be like for the ARL stop at weston? how many ARL trains will stop at weston?

I believe the deal was that at least initially, all ARL trains will stop at Weston. By the time the Eglinton LRT stretches to the point where it crosses the Georgetown corridor all bets are off. Remember also that ARL will still be premium fare. The Bolton branch is substantially after the Weston stop, so unless that track isn't going to interact north of the trench, it should be fine. That the freight line which if my memory serves me may not be in the trench at Weston is beside the point.

The Bolton branch is substantially after the Weston stop, so unless that track isn't going to interact north of the trench, it should be fine. That the freight line which if my memory serves me may not be in the trench at Weston is beside the point.

well, it is the point. the trench is in the way for connecting the CP lines to the GO lines so that bolton GO trains could stop at weston station. the trench poses a problem to the south and to the north. for bolton GO trains to stop at weston, they would need their own platforms on the CP lines.

The CP line is not going to be in the trench at all. However, it may be possible to build a connecting track where the CP line and the CN lines converge. It all depends on how far below grade the CN line is at that point. Don't forget it needs to come back up to cross over Weston Road.

Back