Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

180px-North_Haverbrook_8.png

You give North Haverbrook residents far too much credit.

Today I had a bit of extra time in Montreal before my flight home so, for the first time, I tried out the VIA rail "air connect" service.

Essentially you take any westbound (Ottawa or Toronto) VIA train from Central Station for $13 to Dorval station....then there is a shuttle bus (a bit of a rickety ex park n fly bus as it turns out) that takes you to the terminal. All in all a 25 minute excursion......not bad timing and, relative to Montreal rush hour traffic, more predictable.

Way back in this thread I suggested a similar type idea....GO could have small shuttle buses like this waiting to meet every train/bus/train-bus that goes to Malton station and treat the airport as an extension of the trip to malton....show you arrived at the station by GO (ie prove you paid) and now you have a temporary/interim GO service from downtown to the airport.

Another comparison with Montreal

Petition presses province to favour West Islanders over air travellers
4,700 signatures on a petition organized by Train de l'Ouest
By andy Riga, gazette Transportation Reporter September 9, 2010 2:02 PM MONTREAL - A group pushing for better West Island train service says it has so far collected 4,700 signatures on a petition urging Quebec to favour commuters over air travellers.

“Our target originally was 5,000 signatures, the same number as Laval Mayor Gilles Vaillancourt presented for his train to the east of Laval,” said Georges Nydam, one of the organizers of the group, Train de l’Ouest.

“But reaction has been very positive, so we reached that objective in one and a half days of soliciting.”

The group has collected signatures via its website, traindelouest.ca, and at stations along the Vaudreuil-Hudson train line, run by the Agence métropolitaine de transport.

The group supports the AMT’s $786 proposal to build new dedicated tracks for commuter trains on the line.

It wants to boost commuter service to every 15 minutes during rush hour and every 30 minutes at off-peak hours, from 6 a.m. to midnight, between Ste. Anne de Bellevue and downtown’s Lucien L’Allier station.

Currently, service is spotty on Vaudreuil-Hudson, especially at off-peak hours, in part because the commuter train must share tracks with freight trains.

On Tuesday, Sept. 14, AMT chief executive Joël Gauthier is to meet with members of West Island and Vaudreuil city councils about his plan, Nydam said.

The group expects to present its petition to the National Assembly in early October.

On Sept. 23, the group says it will be at the Montreal agglomeration council meeting to lobby that body and the city of Montreal.

Montreal has come out in support of a different train plan, put forward by Aéroports de Montréal, the airport authority.

Saying efforts to come up with an airport train project that would also expand West Island commuter train service have come up short, Aéroports is promoting a $600-million plan that would only create an airport shuttle on new dedicated tracks.

It would require $200 million each from the provincial and federal governments.

That train would transport air travellers and airport employees non-stop between Trudeau airport and Central Station.

Aéroports has suggested that the AMT could piggyback on the airport train shuttle, adding tracks between the airport and Ste. Anne.

It says the AMT could continue to run trains to Lucien L’Allier, stopping at Montreal West and Vendôme; other “express” commuter trains could bypass those stations by taking the ADM’s train shuttle tracks to Central Station.

That would mean taking “advantage of both corridors and train stations for sufficient capacity and better customer service,” said Christiane Beaulieu, a spokesperson for Aéroports de Montréal.

But Train de l’Ouest says if governments spend $400 million on the airport train, nothing will be left for commuter service.

ariga@montrealgazette.com

I think of the Dorval station and Malton in the same way.

Two very underused public assets....from both you can see a busy airport....from both you have fairly quick and comfortable and affordable rrain rides to the nearby downtowns.....but they are both missing a easy link to the airport.

I think of the Dorval station and Malton in the same way.

Two very underused public assets....from both you can see a busy airport....from both you have fairly quick and comfortable and affordable rrain rides to the nearby downtowns.....but they are both missing a easy link to the airport.
Dorval station is quite diffrent. It's got an express bus that goes non-stop downtown (to Lionel-Groulx metro) very frequently; and it has 4 buses an hour (route 204 and 209) from the station to the airport.

In other words, Dorval station is already a major transportation hub; and has been since the 1980s. Malton station isn't.

Dorval station is quite diffrent. It's got an express bus that goes non-stop downtown (to Lionel-Groulx metro) very frequently; and it has 4 buses an hour (route 204 and 209) from the station to the airport.

In other words, Dorval station is already a major transportation hub; and has been since the 1980s. Malton station isn't.

I guess but if they had (ironically) a people mover like Pearson had that connected the station to the terminal....the train option would be so much better......lost potential is, I guess, what I am hitting at.

Dorval station is quite diffrent. It's got an express bus that goes non-stop downtown (to Lionel-Groulx metro) very frequently; and it has 4 buses an hour (route 204 and 209) from the station to the airport. In other words, Dorval station is already a major transportation hub; and has been since the 1980s. Malton station isn't.

Actually the Montreal transit authority now runs express buses - 9 stops - DIRECTLY to the airport and if you have a pass there is no special fare (if you pay cash there is). See: http://www.stm.info/English/info/a-747.htm I used it a couple of weeks ago and it is very good and far better than the old way of taking a regular (express) bus to the Dorval bus station and then taking another, far less frequent one, to the actual airport.

Actually the Montreal transit authority now runs express buses - 9 stops - DIRECTLY to the airport and if you have a pass there is no special fare (if you pay cash there is). See: http://www.stm.info/English/info/a-747.htm I used it a couple of weeks ago and it is very good and far better than the old way of taking a regular (express) bus to the Dorval bus station and then taking another, far less frequent one, to the actual airport.
Yes, I'm aware of the 747, however it doesn't serve Dorval Station. It's their equivalent of the 192 Airport Rocket ... though not as regular, with only 3 buses an hour most of the day.

Equivalent to the 192 Airport Rocket? Nah, it is their equivalent to the private airport express bus we have here. It just likely requires public support since their airport has such lower passenger volume.

Equivalent to the 192 Airport Rocket? Nah, it is their equivalent to the private airport express bus we have here. It just likely requires public support since their airport has such lower passenger volume.
a-ban2_747.gif

Looks more like a regular bus to me ... though it does cost a premium fare, which is unfortunate, especially considering the buses to Dorval station come more frequently, and it's only a couple of stops away ... and from Dorval it's the same non-stop ride to Lionel-Groulx - again more frequently.

Half-way between the old private airport express. The fare is interesting though ... "The $7 fare is payable in cash aboard the bus - coins only, bills are not accepted." Only a government agency would expect someone arriving at an international airport to have $7 in change in their pocket!

Seems fitting I posted this at 7:47!

... though it does cost a premium fare.
Actually you get a day pass for the fare and if you already have a pass it's "free". I do agree that expecting people to have $7 worth of coinage is bizarre. (Also, unlike our own 192 Airport Rocket the STM in Montreal use special buses with proper luggage racks.)

I was going through Dorval the other day and noticed that they've installed ticket machines for the 747 bus that appeared to take debit and credit cards, so no need to be carrying $7 in change anymore. They've also beefed up the service a bit effective yesterday, so now it's more like every 12-15 minutes for much of the day. Seems to be gaining ridership and frequency much like the TTCs 192 did when it first started.

Back