Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I'd say in terms of ease of use, it was pretty much on par with what I had experienced in Barcelona and Lisbon with their subway and Aeorbus services.

One nice thing about a dedicated airport train service versus a regular subway connection is the addition of luggage racks and comfortable seating. Compared to say the Piccadilly line in London to Heathrow which has a very narrow subway car and less than optimal seating. I've been on other subway/commuter rail services such as Lisbon and the RER in Paris and the same observation applies to varying degrees.

I took the UP last week to and from the airport and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with it. The price seemed justified to me for the ride duration and the ease of connection to T1 and Union. Ridership seemed good to me (all seats filled, albeit still standing room).

I'd say in terms of ease of use, it was pretty much on par with what I had experienced in Barcelona and Lisbon with their subway and Aeorbus services.

The only thing I would've liked to have seen is a better lineup flow or design at Union and maybe longer trains (which the current platforms can't accommodate).

I also wish they had provided a more direct connection to Simcoe St and the SkyWalk. A little frustrating to backtrack, even though it doesn't take long. It would just make the flow faster and having two entrances could help.

I also wish they had provided a more direct connection to Simcoe St and the SkyWalk. A little frustrating to backtrack, even though it doesn't take long. It would just make the flow faster and having two entrances could help.
Huh? You exit the UP train and you are right in the Skywalk....how could access/connection to SkyWalk be any better than it currently is?

The Skywalk entrance at Station Street is even better -- it is the fastest Uber/rideshare dropoff point for UP Express.

Only a few meters west of the Bay Teamway.

It avoids the crazy circus at Union.

View attachment 117043

Poorly labeled though.

upload_2017-8-3_23-10-35.png

See Balzac's coffee just mere meters away from the Station Street entrance. Almost nobody knows this is a very quick UP Express entrance that bypasses Union station. A lot of people coming from the west end up backtracking through the main Union entrance, just to get to UP Express.

Station Street connects the York & Simcoe.

Metrolinx needs to put a "Alternate UP Express Entrance" at all the Station street accesses (both East & West of UPX) as they're both rapid ways to reach the UP Express station.

If you're rushing to catch the next train to catch your plane, this can save you 5-10 minutes.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-3_23-10-35.png
    upload_2017-8-3_23-10-35.png
    171 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
If Metrolinx thinks about DMU's, they need to check out the Stadler car being built in Salt Lake City now. The first car is to be on display at APTA in Oct in Atlantia

Stadler completes first TEX Rail DMU

Maybe the previous poster exited onto platform 1 by mistake?
Doors open at the same spot every time (they have to)....and you step on the platform and out into the UP station.....then you walk thru the opening between the service counter and the retail (don't think there is another way) and, voila, you are in the SkyWalk......sure you can get to track 1 from there....but you are already in the SkyWalk...you can't get anywhere from the UP without being in the SkyWalk....and you start your journey in the SkyWalk, roughly, half way between Simcoe and the main Union Station building.

The Skywalk entrance at Station Street is even better -- it is the fastest Uber/rideshare dropoff point for UP Express.

Only a few meters west of the Bay Teamway.
Metrolinx needs to put a "Alternate UP Express Entrance" at all the Station street accesses (both East & West of UPX) as they're both rapid ways to reach the UP Express station.

If you're rushing to catch the next train to catch your plane, this can save you 5-10 minutes.

Station St is a privately owned road. Legally not a public road which means there is likely legal issues restricting what they can do.

Station St will close in the short/near term as part of the redevelopment of 151 Front St. And never reopen.

Except, of course, not being FRA/TC crashworthiness compliant....

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
The FRA is well ahead of TC on this, and even the FRA is being dragged screaming into it (This *was* from the top-down, an Obama initiative that Canada should also be adopting, albeit it remains to be seen how Trump will screw this up too)

upload_2017-8-4_10-12-56.png

[...continues 230 pages...]
https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L18433

The Flirts *are* "FRA Compliant", but Tier II.

When is TC going to allow same? It's a national disgrace that Canada is hobbled by regulations that the world is ahead on, and we're still lagging. O-Train was granted 'exceptions', rather than being a piece-meal basis, it's time for TC to allow a *defined and allowed* category for Canada to become part of the modern world. Both VIA and Metrolinx would benefit in profound ways.

Edit to Add: I deferred from being overly-snarky on TC (I am incredibly disappointed the Trudeau regime loves to be 'politically correct and current' and yet misses the less sexy issues) but as a comparison, could you imagine *aircraft* having to meet regs from half a century or more ago to operate in this nation?

"The Government of Canada is debating whether to allow jets to operate with the propeller aircraft it now allows to operate in her skies and airports, and has commissioned a study to examine previous studies on the reports from commissioned inquiries as to whether or not this would be a safe and acceptable practice...." (We're awaiting comments from the Piston and Valve Manufacturers of Canada before proceeding)

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-4_10-12-56.png
    upload_2017-8-4_10-12-56.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
Station St is a privately owned road. Legally not a public road which means there is likely legal issues restricting what they can do.

Station St will close in the short/near term as part of the redevelopment of 151 Front St. And never reopen.

Whatever happens on Station Street.....I doubt it would lead to the elimination of entrances to the SkyWalk at either end. So the York Teamway will still have access (elevator or up the "Goodlife" stairs and either this entrance (also elevator or stairs) at the corner of Simcoe and Station will either be maintained:

upload_2017-8-4_10-36-6.png

All that said, the suggestion that UP is not convenient to the SkyWalk is silly....it is, quite literally, in the SkyWalk...in space that used to be SkyWalk retail and was, more recently, PCL's site office for construction of Maple Leaf Square.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-4_10-36-6.png
    upload_2017-8-4_10-36-6.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 364

Boo. And yes, no brainer, they need to preserve or relocate the Skywalk entrances, so that UPX is easy to reach from York or Simcoe.

The FRA is well ahead of TC on this, and even the FRA is being dragged screaming into it (This *was* from the top-down, an Obama initiative that Canada should also be adopting, albeit it remains to be seen how Trump will screw this up too)

View attachment 117056
[...continues 230 pages...]
https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L18433

The Flirts *are* "FRA Compliant", but Tier II.

When is TC going to allow same? It's a national disgrace that Canada is hobbled by regulations that the world is ahead on, and we're still lagging. O-Train was granted 'exceptions', rather than being a piece-meal basis, it's time for TC to allow a *defined and allowed* category for Canada to become part of the modern world. Both VIA and Metrolinx would benefit in profound ways.

Edit to Add: I deferred from being overly-snarky on TC (I am incredibly disappointed the Trudeau regime loves to be 'politically correct and current' and yet misses the less sexy issues) but as a comparison, could you imagine *aircraft* having to meet regs from half a century or more ago to operate in this nation?

"The Government of Canada is debating whether to allow jets to operate with the propeller aircraft it now allows to operate in her skies and airports, and has commissioned a study to examine previous studies on the reports from commissioned inquiries as to whether or not this would be a safe and acceptable practice...." (We're awaiting comments from the Piston and Valve Manufacturers of Canada before proceeding)

The problem is the way our laws are created and applied.

For example, up until about 20 years ago, if there was an accident with a boiler in Ontario, you had to send a message via ... wait for it.... Telegraph!

This was due to the law that was enacted, and how hard it is to change the law. They have changed it to a regulation, and now changing it is easier.

I suspect the same is true with the TC laws.

Huh? You exit the UP train and you are right in the Skywalk....how could access/connection to SkyWalk be any better than it currently is?

Completely realize this is nit picking and in a long list of priorities, pretty low. Fully agree that the connect is good. I'm just suggesting a slightly more direct route and having a third entrance/exit to the UP platform at Union via a more direct connect to the SkyWalk and Simcoe Street. Green would be the additional connection to the SkyWalk and Simcoe and red is the existing route (with blue being the stairs). Anyways, just an idea. Maybe there were valid reasons (IE utilities etc) for why they couldn't do it.
2u9egdL

Back