Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

^ I think our misunderstanding of each other stems from you seeming to think that the glass covered walkway that runs parallel to Station Street is not part of the SkyWalk. It is part of the SkyWalk and, therefore, there is a perfectly direct route from the UP station to the SkyWalk because the station is actually in the SkyWalk

^ I think our misunderstanding of each other stems from you seeming to think that the glass covered walkway that runs parallel to Station Street is not part of the SkyWalk. It is part of the SkyWalk and, therefore, there is a perfectly direct route from the UP station to the SkyWalk because the station is actually in the SkyWalk

Good point and you're right. I should have stopped to think about that more in terms of the labeling. In that case, I guess what I'm suggesting is a more direct connect between the western edge of the UP Express Station platform area (which ends in a glass wall) and the bridge over the tracks portion of the SkyWalk.

Good point and you're right. I should have stopped to think about that more in terms of the labeling. In that case, I guess what I'm suggesting is a more direct connect between the western edge of the UP Express Station platform area (which ends in a glass wall) and the bridge over the tracks portion of the SkyWalk.
I don't think that will ever happen....and it would end up being a less direct route to Simcoe and the street level entrance to SkyWalk anyway.

I don't think that will ever happen....and it would end up being a less direct route to Simcoe and the street level entrance to SkyWalk anyway.
I agree, I don't think will happen. Development of Union Centre will change the whole Skywalk anyway.
sweenyco-architects-union-centre-10.jpg

That's one big wayfinding improvement for York (Simcoe) accsss.

It's always been poor wayfindingfor direct dropoff/Uber/taxi/etc trips. Too many people double back via the main Union entrances, not knowing of the existence of a quicker entrance to UPX.

Hopefully there'll also be proper wayfinding for a quicker indoor way via the west moat (TD Carriageway).

I agree, I don't think will happen. Development of Union Centre will change the whole Skywalk anyway.

Good point. I forgot about that proposal. Can't remember where it stands now so I'll check out the development section of UT.

You can see in that image/rendering, though, that the part of the SkyWalk housing the UP station remains untouched.

It looks like they propose replacing the arched glass ceiling with a more mundane rectilinear structure. I'm hoping they won't do that, as the arched walkway is a great example of architecture from the 1980s--modern in style with the metal frame and glazing yet contextual in how the arch evokes the arched ceiling of the Great Hall at Union Station.

Were UP Express trains delayed yesterday? The Star's Ben Spurr is tweeting to people asking if he can speak to them about a delay yesterday.

Can someone update the thread title with the proper measurements and numbers?

Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited |

Am I reading those Tweets correctly? Delays due to "equipment" or "switch" for the last four days?

Yesterday's tweets are all about switch problems. I think the "equipment problem" tweets from a few days ago are likely about specific trains. But yesterday the whole service was shut down for a while with people stuck on trains and shuttle buses running.

The next Pearson Airport to Union Station #UPExpress trip is delayed as a result of a switch problem.

The next Union Station - Pearson Airport #UPExpress trip is delayed as a result of a switch problem.

#UPExpress Trains between Pearson and Union are delayed up to 20 minutes due to a track switch problem.

#UPExpress Trains between Pearson & Union, delayed up to 30 mins due to switch problem.

#UPExpress Trains between Pearson and Union are currently not operating as a result of a track switch problem.(1/2)
We are working on other travel options.(2/2)

#UPExpress service between Pearson and Union is not operating as a result of a track switch problem.(1/2)
We are operating GO Buses between the stations. UP Guests at Union Staton can load at Station Street & York Street.(2/2)

#UPExpress train service between Pearson and Union is operating once again, please expect delays as we work to get back on schedule.(1/2)
GO Bus shuttle service is no longer operating between Pearson Airport and Union Station.(2/2)

Yesterday's tweets are all about switch problems. I think the "equipment problem" tweets from a few days ago are likely about specific trains. But yesterday the whole service was shut down for a while with people stuck on trains and shuttle buses running.
Indeed, now re-reading, (the print without enlarging it is so small) it was a series of switch tweets dated yesterday. But reading back, problems appear chronic, whether that's as a result of the frequent service, or just unreliable rolling stock and RoW is something else. Whatever, yesterday's probs really do look serious. I hope Spurr does a piece on it.

Back