Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Many thanx, I'm not disputing what is claimed in the article, but still question this:
"Metrolinx spokesperson Anne Marie Aikins said the UPX, which opened in 2015 and is Metrolinx’s newest service,has an “outstanding” on-time performance of 98 per cent."

Do you have a specific observation that would challenge this? Other than the 'big' snafu's - which do make the news - the service seems to run reliably....to the point that I have never bothered to memorise the schedule or compare the arrival time to the schedule. I go to the station, it arrives within a few minutes, and it makes its run without any long delays en route.. That's probably precise enough to satisfy 98% of users, even if the headway gradually slips over the day.

- Paul

Do you have a specific observation that would challenge this? Other than the 'big' snafu's - which do make the news - the service seems to run reliably....to the point that I have never bothered to memorise the schedule or compare the arrival time to the schedule. I go to the station, it arrives within a few minutes, and it makes its run without any long delays en route.. That's probably precise enough to satisfy 98% of users, even if the headway gradually slips over the day.

- Paul
Yes I do, albeit the snafu rate is buried in the regularity of runs:
https://twitter.com/UPexpress

Read back. Perhaps many of the "operational" and "switch" problems can and will be rectified with time. The Kinki Sharyos? It would be interesting to read the latest service reliability reports on them. They were touted to be running all three-car sets by now IIRC.

Last edited:
Starting Aug 25, SMART starts full service on their line using the same cars as UPX and lets see what issues they have with them, since their line is longer than UPX. They have learn a few things from UPX and supposed to have made the changes. As for switch issues, haven't been following UPX much these days. Don't see many 3 cars trains on line, but mostly 2 cars.

SMART train service between Marin, Sonoma counties to begin next week

Reactions: rbt
im not sure when this was last discussed but what is the current status on electrifying the upx line? is it tied with RER, with electrification of the current GO routes or a separate item?

im not sure when this was last discussed but what is the current status on electrifying the upx line? is it tied with RER, with electrification of the current GO routes or a separate item?

I think it's tied to the electrification of the Kitchener Line. In a June 2017 Metrolinx Board report, there was a breakdown of the cost for each line including the Kitchener Line. It doesn't clarify if electrifying UP Express is included and doesn't break it out into a separate line item, or mention the spur. Maybe others know more.
2uaepwS

Tough night for UP Express by the sounds of it.

Occasionally browsing their twitter feed, it seems like they've been having a lot of tough nights recently.

An Airport service cannot have issues like this so frequently, which result in people being stuck for hours. It's a shame--when it works well, the nearly-guaranteed 25 minute trip time to Pearson is much better than braving traffic. But when you're planning to take a flight, are you going to leave Union 12 hours before your flight in case the UPX breaks down, or are you going to leave 4 hours before your flight in case of heavy traffic on the highway?

An Airport service cannot have issues like this so frequently, which result in people being stuck for hours. It's a shame--when it works well, the nearly-guaranteed 25 minute trip time to Pearson is much better than braving traffic. But when you're planning to take a flight, are you going to leave Union 12 hours before your flight in case the UPX breaks down, or are you going to leave 4 hours before your flight in case of heavy traffic on the highway?

In their defense, this was an extremely rare and unlikely event - I suspect that they had never conceived of the likelihood of it happening. It still doesn't account for waiting almost 2 hours to get the people off of the train, however.

I was waiting for the LSW GO after the TFC game, and witnessed a disabled UP Express train being pushed back to Willowbrook by another UP Express train. Weirdly, the leading UP unit wasn't one with a cab. Video below.

That's because you missed the other half of the disabled train. Somehow, it lost a drawbar, and thus the two halves couldn't be reconnected.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience the other way last year; train stopped dead by Weston. Missed a flight for the first time in my life as a result. Thankfully, the folks at United were very accommodating and I only had to sit around YYZ for three hours to get another. It took me a while to trust UPX again.

smallspy said:
That's because you missed the other half of the disabled train. Somehow, it lost a drawbar, and thus the two halves couldn't be reconnected.

That's the kind of failure that keeps Mr. Murphy popular. Drawbars are about as technologically exotic as the dipstick. All this event proves is, stuff happens..

- Paul

I was waiting for the LSW GO after the TFC game, and witnessed a disabled UP Express train being pushed back to Willowbrook by another UP Express train. Weirdly, the leading UP unit wasn't one with a cab. Video below.

we were on the platform at the same time.......to make customer frustration higher.....the crammed like sardines LSW train that left shortly after that was stopped between Ex and Mimico for, what, 10 or 15 minutes waiting for a signal...which I presume had something to do with this disabled vehicle being pushed out to the yard ahead of it.

Starting Aug 25, SMART starts full service on their line using the same cars as UPX and lets see what issues they have with them, since their line is longer than UPX. They have learn a few things from UPX and supposed to have made the changes. As for switch issues, haven't been following UPX much these days. Don't see many 3 cars trains on line, but mostly 2 cars.

SMART train service between Marin, Sonoma counties to begin next week

I believe they dont have a mechanical gear box on their version of the trains, but hydraulic instead. Some of the issues with the UPX trains were with the gearbox, so they shouldn't have similar problems to this. Engine problems probably fixed, but the hydraulic system is new to this fleet and so they dont have the data off the UPX to know of potential issues.

Back