Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Can anyone shed some light on what this RFI is?

RFI-2016-SP-013:REQUEST FOR INFO FOR PROVISION OF GROUND TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Metrolinx is accepting Submissions for UP EXPRESS EXPRESSION OF INTEREST GROUND TRANSPORTATION PARTNER
cplchanb makes a good point, but it could be a number of things...'baggage' haul? Onward connections?

But here's an idea: I briefly skimmed through this two days back looking for Presto Card info (there's a lot in there) and (gist) 'new ideas for marketing UPX' were detailed.

Have a read if you haven't already:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...60909_BoardMtg_2016-2017_Business_Plan_EN.pdf

Can anyone shed some light on what this RFI is?

RFI-2016-SP-013:REQUEST FOR INFO FOR PROVISION OF GROUND TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

Metrolinx is accepting Submissions for UP EXPRESS EXPRESSION OF INTEREST GROUND TRANSPORTATION PARTNER
If you have a MERX account (free), you can see the filenames of the documents that can be downloaded.
(Filenames are freely viewable)

Document Download Filenames
upload_2017-1-4_16-39-51.png

However, it costs $40 to download these documents though.
If you do pay this fee, you'll probably light yourself up to the public.

Here are parties who downloaded these documents.
Your name will probably be added to this viewable list if you pay the $40 fee.
(Info freely viewable, too)

Document Holder List
upload_2017-1-4_16-42-0.png

While only a few, it appears to be suggestive of the type of "partners" they're looking for -- Greyhound, Uber, Limo, etc.

It very much appears to be connecting transportation that UPX wishes to integrate as part of their system. Easier first and last mile connection. Properly done, could be useful for Weston/Bloor/Downtown residents, or incoming business travellers that need a connection to a business park or hotel, etc. (I'm deducing here from the info above...)

By download dates, you can tell who are the eager ones paying close attention (you can see Uber was the first non-anonymous outside party to ever download this specific set of Metrolinx RFI documents).

(BTW -- In 1999 I used to work at MERX Cebra fixing Y2K bugs in their system...)

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-4_16-39-51.png
    upload_2017-1-4_16-39-51.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 367
  • upload_2017-1-4_16-42-0.png
    upload_2017-1-4_16-42-0.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
upload_2017-1-4_17-56-9.png

upload_2017-1-4_17-58-5.png
upload_2017-1-4_17-59-37.png
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...60909_BoardMtg_2016-2017_Business_Plan_EN.pdf

I think that might be it, summated in the last line, albeit they certainly beat around the bush with the language of 'Report Jargonese'.

Edit to Add: Thinking further on this, and the involvement of Tyler Brule in the original marketing concept (and the on-board magazine he publishes, and still swears by, feature in Financial Times on that some weeks back)

The new fare strategy was designed to:

Incent trial and attract more customers to the UP Express service

Increase ridership and repeat use

Simplify the fare structure, by aligning fares to the number of stops a passenger travels

Promote PRESTO card usage

Provide additional transportation options between downtown Toronto and communities served by UP Express

I suspect UPX still has a niche within Metrolink for their former marketing people, and it would be germaine with marketing types that the Brand is as much what they're marketing as the actual train ride. If they are appealing to the airport traveller, many with a degree of spare cash that's disposable, why wouldn't you reap the investment you've made in the marketing spiel that has now been established? The separate executive division may be gone from within Metrolinx, but the product still has a lot of inertia and name recognition.

It's not my world, by any means, I'm an engineering type, but I can certainly see that there is a product that can be sold much greater than just getting from the Airport to Union, or vice-versa.

The report delves into how their main clientele is by far still airport travellers, and they have to further aim their product *and related ones* at them.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-4_17-56-9.png
    upload_2017-1-4_17-56-9.png
    52 KB · Views: 294
  • upload_2017-1-4_17-58-5.png
    upload_2017-1-4_17-58-5.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 277
  • upload_2017-1-4_17-59-37.png
    upload_2017-1-4_17-59-37.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
If you have a MERX account (free), you can see the filenames of the documents that can be downloaded.
(Filenames are freely viewable)

Document Download Filenames
View attachment 95129

However, it costs $40 to download these documents though.
If you do pay this fee, you'll probably light yourself up to the public.

Here are parties who downloaded these documents.
Your name will probably be added to this viewable list if you pay the $40 fee.
(Info freely viewable, too)

Document Holder List
View attachment 95130

While only a few, it appears to be suggestive of the type of "partners" they're looking for -- Greyhound, Uber, Limo, etc.

It very much appears to be connecting transportation that UPX wishes to integrate as part of their system. Easier first and last mile connection. Properly done, could be useful for Weston/Bloor/Downtown residents, or incoming business travellers that need a connection to a business park or hotel, etc. (I'm deducing here from the info above...)

By download dates, you can tell who are the eager ones paying close attention (you can see Uber was the first non-anonymous outside party to ever download this specific set of Metrolinx RFI documents).

(BTW -- In 1999 I used to work at MERX Cebra fixing Y2K bugs in their system...)
Seeing the vendors it obviously looks like Metrolinx is trying to fix that first and last mile issue but I think using these services is ridiculous. How are you going to ensure Uber is able to provide such a service? By its nature, people sign up to be uber drivers and pick up passengers as they go about their daily routine/ How is Metrolix going to ensure there are enough uber drivers to pick up passengers and how will payment work? Seems really complicated to me but 100 years ago there were not many rules for cars

Of interest...UPX-specific numbers!

UPX subsidy is currently budgeted at 45%.

Operating budget projected at $65M with $30M revenues expected.

I understand this is time period April 1st, 2016 through March 31st, 2017, so I'd estimate 40M revenues for 2017/2018 for UPX, bumping above 50% cost recovery.

IMG_1798.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1798.PNG
    IMG_1798.PNG
    325.8 KB · Views: 273
It's interesting to see UP's expenses side by side with GO's.

I wonder if it's apples to apples. UPE spends proportionately less on Equipment Maintenance but much more on Services and Supplies.

I wonder if that is the result of a different form of contract or warranty on the still-newish DMU's.

- Paul

Seeing the vendors it obviously looks like Metrolinx is trying to fix that first and last mile issue but I think using these services is ridiculous. How are you going to ensure Uber is able to provide such a service? By its nature, people sign up to be uber drivers and pick up passengers as they go about their daily routine/ How is Metrolix going to ensure there are enough uber drivers to pick up passengers and how will payment work? Seems really complicated to me but 100 years ago there were not many rules for cars
There is probably minimum criteria, that Uber probably won't decide to meet.
Hopefully they set proper criteria, so that it "all makes sense".

The vendor list isn't necessarily approvable vendors... just interested vendors wanting a look-see if they meet the criteria and can make a buck off Metrolinx...

It is the duty of Metrolinx to set sane criteria that makes sense to taxpayers. I personally think it makes sense -- as long as proper criteria/requirements are defined.

Last edited:
interesting exchange last night on twitter between QP Insider and Anne Marie Akins of ML about the trains, mechanical issues and warranties. Here is a link to part of it...rest can be found in her twitter feed while you are there.

https://twitter.com/femwriter/status/817026210723168256
Just reading that now. I'll dig a bit more on that, but my immediate impression is it's all denial, not informative. If it wasn't the motor(s), then what was it? Of course, since Metrolinx maintains a wall of secrecy on so many matters, we don't know what it might be.

Tell me, did Aikins say "Simon Says" and have her fingers crossed on both hands behind her back when stating what she did?

upload_2017-1-5_11-7-49.png

Oh look! SQUIRREL!

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-5_11-7-49.png
    upload_2017-1-5_11-7-49.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 257
There is probably minimum criteria, that Uber probably won't decide to meet.
Hopefully they set proper criteria, so that it "all makes sense".

You never know... Uber has partnered with Canadian Tire dealers in the GTA to offer shuttle service for automotive customers. A few stores that have made the switch have had no issues so far. Uber is also being considered for delivery of online orders. They seem to be living up to their end of the agreement so far, so they'd likely place a similar emphasis on UP Express trips.

By its nature, people sign up to be uber drivers and pick up passengers as they go about their daily routine/ How is Metrolix going to ensure there are enough uber drivers to pick up passengers and how will payment work? Seems really complicated to me but 100 years ago there were not many rules for cars

Uber is more than just "people signed up and picking up passengers as they go about". Uber also offers limo service and regular cab service, a different service than Uber X, which you are referring to.

Back