Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Marie Aikins : “In the coming weeks and months, we’ll hear about a new plan we’ll put forward to help build ridership”.

Weeks and months? No wonder people are cynical.
It was stated at Metrolinx BOD meeting last week, the fare change could happen in June at the next BOD meeting or at a special meeting before then to set the new fare structure.

We will see a special meeting either in March or April for the new fare structure.

“This is a ghost train. There’s more riders on the Dufferin bus every day and they don’t have their own marketing department.”

That's the problem It's not enough to cut fares, they're going to have to cut operating costs too. Even if these trains were full all the time it would be costing, what, $7 per pax? It's hard to see how this can work until UPX is dissolved and the service is rolled into regular GO or SmartTrack service.

The trouble there is that to be lineup-free, you could only really go from Bloor to Weston and/or back. If you went all the way to Union or Pearson, you had no choice but to line up if you wanted to double back--that is, unless you did my Metropass-assisted sleight of hand of taking the subway from Union *back* to Dundas West, and hopping aboard the northbound train from Bloor, and avoiding the Pearson-end lineup by taking the Airport Rocket back from Pearson.

Thus, in about as much time as I would've spent waiting in line at Union, I'd already gone to Pearson and returned home.

You did exactly the same thing as I did. I have a Presto card so I did have to buy something at Pearson to make change for the bus ... which really should have Presto by now.

Personally, I was planning to drag the kids, but the airport didn't interest them. However taking the subway and then the Scarborough Skytrain to the mall was a huge hit - especially for the 3-year old who'd never taken it before! They thought the blue train with all the stations listed on the top was cool!

My kid was hugely into transit at that age ... as in travelling to the far reaches of the TTC just to be able to ride different routes to see where they go.

You did exactly the same thing as I did. I have a Presto card so I did have to buy something at Pearson to make change for the bus ... which really should have Presto by now.

This could be solved, at least in the short term, by having a fare machine next to the TTC stops at Terminals 1 and 3 that can issue POP tickets (transfers) when inserting coins (and making change), or tapping a Presto Card.

This could be solved, at least in the short term, by having a fare machine next to the TTC stops at Terminals 1 and 3 that can issue POP tickets (transfers) when inserting coins (and making change), or tapping a Presto Card.
Like the 2 TTC fare machines that are just inside near the stop in T1?

4495105810_aa316bce40_z.jpg

Reactions: rbt
^they take presto?
I'm not sure actually - I haven't been past them in a few months. They didn't when they were installed (years ago). But they are very similar (if not the same) as those temporary (non-Presto) machines they'd put at some of the 510 stops and that did take Presto on a handful of the very first Flexity vehicles, back in summer 2014.

My guess though, is that they don't, as they don't have the wiring into them for Presto.

With the Queensway garage being the first bus division to get Presto, I wouldn't be surprised if the 192 Airport Rocket buses get Presto very soon.

Last edited:
Like the 2 TTC fare machines that are just inside near the stop in T1?

4495105810_aa316bce40_z.jpg
Oddly enough they don't make change or sell tokens. I used one recently coming back from a trip. Put in two loonies, and it told me that I had overpaid but there wasn't a change option.

I'm not sure actually - I haven't been past them in a few months. They didn't when they were installed (years ago). But they are very similar (if not the same) as those temporary Presto-accepting machines they'd put at some of the 510 stops and on a handful of the very first Flexity vehicles, back in summer 2014.

My guess though, is that they don't, as they don't have the wiring into them for Presto.
And no, they don't take Presto. That would be too easy.

Back