Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

More than 28,000 riders over the long weekend according to The Star...
According to ML that number is low:

upload_2016-2-16_10-12-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-16_10-12-1.png
    upload_2016-2-16_10-12-1.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 433
We are talking washroom in the station right? there are none on the train
I was certain I saw a door that said washroom from a distance but perhaps I am mistaken. My husband even got up to say he needed to go to the washroom and I am not even sure what happened after that

Damn! I didn't get to take advantage of the full experience. ;-)
but if you had to line up at subway stations and wait until train came, you would also see line-ups also. But if the trains held more people and came every 5 min it may be fine, afterall it would not be free. Now as the line-ups were at Union, was this because people travelled down to Union to start their journey or are these people within walking distance of Union, i.e condos or took streetcar and then walked to Union. etc. There were no line-ups at Weston or Dundas West. The only way is a trail run with lower fares to see what happens. There will come a price point that is acceptable to people. But if its towards Pearson airport, not sure but for people to commute to Union for work, defintely

^ this is why I am a fan of a "temporary" reduction in non Pearson trip fares to $5.03 (Presto only). Uses up some capacity, provides local service, removes image of empty trains and can be easily unwound when/if the GO service gets to current Lakeshore levels.
Would does it mean by" unwound when/if the GO service gets to current lakeshore levels"

Would does it mean by" unwound when/if the GO service gets to current lakeshore levels"
Simple...you position the reduction to GO fares as "until we can provide you full Lakeshore level GO service we will treat UP trains as GO like service between Weston/Bloor/Union. Once there are regular, frequent, 7 day a week GO trains from/to those stations, UP will revert to an airport service and you will be served by GO/ReR trains.

I wonder what the excuse calendar will say if ridership doesn't improve after showing it off to 40,000 people (and allowing for the possible negative impression made on prepaid airport riders annoyed by being crammed in without their fares being presumptively refunded...)

I'm surprised that many people would wait 1-2 hours in line to ride this train without needing to catch a flight..

It's not like it's the most scenic route? I took it free when it opened but would not wait in line for that long.

Metrolinx should have advertised that the lines up at Weston and Bloor are non-existent so perhaps passengers could start their journey there with no line-ups. Of course parents coming with strollers and the elevators out of service at Bloor would not have helped. How can elevators be out of service if the line just opened in June and how many people are actually using the elevators at Bloor that it already needs service?

Another thing is if the seating was reversed (like the TTC) and the seating not as grand, there would be more standing room. And then of course take away luggage holding, washrooms and frees up more room

Last edited:
I'm surprised that many people would wait 1-2 hours in line to ride this train without needing to catch a flight..

It's not like it's the most scenic route? I took it free when it opened but would not wait in line for that long.
The majority of riders over the weekend were suburban kids going on a choo choo train for the first time.

I was certain I saw a door that said washroom from a distance but perhaps I am mistaken. My husband even got up to say he needed to go to the washroom and I am not even sure what happened after that

I definitely saw a washroom sign when I was on the train.

The majority of riders over the weekend were suburban kids going on a choo choo train for the first time.

It was a lot of older people on the Monday.

Unless you were there all day, for each of the 3 days there is no way you could make any sort of educated observation about the demographic make up of the audience over the space of the 3 days.....and, if during the time you were there, if you did observe a lot of kids there is no way of determining where they reside without asking them....but, sure, if it fits someone's idea of the world...let's assume it is all kids from the burbs who climbed out of papa's Escalade for the day to see what riding a train feels like :( ;)

Personally, I was planning to drag the kids, but the airport didn't interest them. However taking the subway and then the Scarborough Skytrain to the mall was a huge hit - especially for the 3-year old who'd never taken it before! They thought the blue train with all the stations listed on the top was cool!

Back