Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

so what are thoughts on fare decrease and what would that look like? Can the UPX run at greater frequencies?

so what are thoughts on fare decrease and what would that look like? Can the UPX run at greater frequencies?

Can the UPX run at varied frequencies? Every 15 minutes all day appears to be too much. If they could stagger it to run every 20 or 25 minutes during off-peak train travel?

I could understand if they didn't want to though, that could deter even more riders.

Can the UPX run at varied frequencies? Every 15 minutes all day appears to be too much. If they could stagger it to run every 20 or 25 minutes during off-peak train travel?

I could understand if they didn't want to though, that could deter even more riders.
I am a UP fan...admitedly....but if I got off a plane at an off peak time and saw the next one was 25 minutes I doubt I would wait....off peak travel by cab would be +/- that and by the time that train left in 25 minutes the cab would have me downtown!

Oddly enough they don't make change or sell tokens. I used one recently coming back from a trip. Put in two loonies, and it told me that I had overpaid but there wasn't a change option.

That sounds like one part typical TTC inflexibility, one part of the old Pearson arrivals quandary: 'Welcome to Canada! Don't have a loonie? No luggage cart for you!'

Oddly enough they don't make change or sell tokens. I used one recently coming back from a trip. Put in two loonies, and it told me that I had overpaid but there wasn't a change option.

They do take credit cards and charge the exact cash fare.

I think if they charged GO-ish fares between Union and Weston with a bigger charge for the airport, they could dramatically increase ridership without over-filling the trains. If over-crowding becomes and issue, give boarding priority to people going to the airport, or reserve some seats for them.

I can't picture them increasing service frequency anytime soon, unless it actually becomes more popular....

They do take credit cards and charge the exact cash fare.
Yep, I like these machines. I always just use my credit card. I doubt most foreign tourists would arrive with Canadian change, but any credit card will work, so it's better for tourists as well.

It might be able to operate at increased frequency, but we're limited by our fleet size of 18 cars. So to make more trainsets, we'd need to cut the length from 3 cars to 2, which negates any line capacity increase.

Currently we run 5 trainsets on a 75 min round trip with a fixed 8 min layover at Union and the remainder (17 min) at Pearson. To drop the headway to 12 minutes, we could do a 72 min roundtrip (14 min at Pearson) with 6 trainsets. Or for 10 minute headways, we could run a 70 min roundtrip (12 min at Pearson) with 7 trainsets.

Alternatively, we could keep the current consists and cut the trip times by skipping stops. The current 5 trainsets could operate a 12 minute headway if they skipped both Bloor and Weston to get a 20 minute trip time (12 min at Pearson). But obviously skipping the intermediate stops would be contrary to the intent of switching to GO fare.

My guess is that we could absorb UPX into GO Transit as the Airport Line without going over capacity on the current schedule. The commuter demand from Bloor and Weston to Union isn't that huge because even the lower GO fare is pretty expensive for such a short distance. I also like the idea of setting a precedent for small multiple-unit trainsets as a part of the GO fleet, which could serve as precursors to a local RER fleet.

what I meant was run more often like every 5 min

It might be able to operate at increased frequency, but we're limited by our fleet size of 18 cars. So to make more trainsets, we'd need to cut the length from 3 cars to 2, which negates any line capacity increase.

Currently we run 5 trainsets on a 75 min round trip with a fixed 8 min layover at Union and the remainder (17 min) at Pearson. To drop the headway to 12 minutes, we could do a 72 min roundtrip (14 min at Pearson) with 6 trainsets. Or for 10 minute headways, we could run a 70 min roundtrip (12 min at Pearson) with 7 trainsets.

Alternatively, we could keep the current consists and cut the trip times by skipping stops. The current 5 trainsets could operate a 12 minute headway if they skipped both Bloor and Weston to get a 20 minute trip time (12 min at Pearson). But obviously skipping the intermediate stops would be contrary to the intent of switching to GO fare.

My guess is that we could absorb UPX into GO Transit as the Airport Line without going over capacity on the current schedule. The commuter demand from Bloor and Weston to Union isn't that huge because even the lower GO fare is pretty expensive for such a short distance. I also like the idea of setting a precedent for small multiple-unit trainsets as a part of the GO fleet, which could serve as precursors to a local RER fleet.
but if it was $3.00 there would be demand

but if it was $3.00 there would be demand

Yes, and it would be way more demand than we could handle with the current infrastructure. The line's capacity limited by the single-track Union terminal, the 3-car cap on train lengths at Pearson, as well as the conflicts created entering and exiting the Weston corridor. I expect that GO fare is the lowest we could go without overwhelming the line in its current arrangement.

I think if they charged GO-ish fares between Union and Weston with a bigger charge for the airport, they could dramatically increase ridership without over-filling the trains. If over-crowding becomes and issue, give boarding priority to people going to the airport, or reserve some seats for them.

I can't picture them increasing service frequency anytime soon, unless it actually becomes more popular....

What is the GO fare from Weston to Union? What is the UPX?

What is the GO fare from Weston to Union? What is the UPX?
all prices with Presto
Malton-Union 6.84
Etobicoke North-Union 5.02
Weston-Union 5.02
Bloor-Union 4.71
Weston-Malton 4.71

UPX Weston-YYZ 11.40

It's a bit silly to say a 25 min ride to downtown is gonna be $3 when existing GO riders are charged more for an inferior (in terms of frequency and hours of operation) service

some ppl might find this interesting:
upload_2016-2-18_22-52-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-18_22-52-59.png
    upload_2016-2-18_22-52-59.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 496

Back