Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Positives:
This certainly is a Premium service with the WiFi, outlet for charging cell/laptops, washroom, luggage, comfy high seating, large windows, storage plus on-board attendant.

We are talking washroom in the station right? there are none on the train

We are talking washroom in the station right? there are none on the train
Washroom is on the C car: ie 3000's with 1 A-A these days from what I have seen. Most are A-C with 1 A-C-A and an A-A. No idea what was used this weekend as I stay away from the zoo.

Last edited:
Oh, and UPX should have all of its regular pricing tiers cut in half.
Haven't we just seen the danger of pricing it too low at peak?

I don't think that cutting the fare is going to increase service to Pearson much at all. But it could increase people travelling to Bloor and Weston. So why not cut that - during non-peak periods.

Seriously? Sure it wasn't just an electrical closet?
The website does say there are washrooms on the train - with a note that they aren't on some configurations.

In my mind at least, this does make it likely there are washrooms on some of the cars.

Wow. I saw the news coverage.

On Saturday I just walked up to Union UPX station at approximately 1:30pm and got on, no lineups or anything, went to the airport, wandered over to T3, was there for around 10 minutes before I realized I should probably get back downtown to catch the bus to Newmarket, went back to Pearson UPX station, got right on the train, and went back downtown. Didn't pass through any lineups at all, though there was the beginning of one when I arrived at Union around 3:30. The trains were full both ways, but there was no waiting to get on. I must have just missed the crowds.

I did discover at Pearson that the train and platform doors were closed with the sign saying 5 minutes until departure. I found an illuminated door-open button like the ones on the streetcars, pressed it, the doors opened, and I walked on.

I have been wondering: if they halved the price of UPX, would they get more than twice the riders?

I have been wondering: if they halved the price of UPX, would they get more than twice the riders?

Metrolinx will most likely be working overtime over the next couple weeks to do a hard analysis of data to find a reasonable equilibrium.

I'd expect fare structure changes to come soon, especially with the pressure from Del-Duca and Wynne. I bet they were not expecting THIS much interest. The real question is, would a good number of people who tried it this weekend return as "regular" riders?

Haven't we just seen the danger of pricing it too low at peak?

I don't think that cutting the fare is going to increase service to Pearson much at all. But it could increase people travelling to Bloor and Weston. So why not cut that - during non-peak periods.

The website does say there are washrooms on the train - with a note that they aren't on some configurations.

In my mind at least, this does make it likely there are washrooms on some of the cars.
Damn! I didn't get to take advantage of the full experience. ;-)

Metrolinx was trying to get people use to the system {like in traffic clogged Toronto such an inducement should be needed} but I think this is REALLY going to backfire.

I'm certainly willing to bet that most in Dundas West/Weston/ or northern areas have never taken the damn thing. It was just "that train" that no one ever uses. Now that they have had a chance to use it and realize how much faster and enjoyable their trip would be if they could afford the damn thing, they will REALLY be pushing for, at a minimum, GO fares and preferably TTC. ...............once you finally let the kid in the candy shop, you will have a bitch of a time getting them to leave.

Before this free ride, most in the corridor didn't really know what they were missing but now they know exactly what they are missing and will be much more pissed off come Monday morning when they have to wait in the cold for the bus to get onto a packed subway unlike taking that nice, easy, and quick ride they enjoyed just one day earlier.

This little experiment will end up biting them in the ass and will help Tory greatly with his ST as he will say this is what my ST would be but just with a TTC fare.

^ this is why I am a fan of a "temporary" reduction in non Pearson trip fares to $5.03 (Presto only). Uses up some capacity, provides local service, removes image of empty trains and can be easily unwound when/if the GO service gets to current Lakeshore levels.

I assume the "proof" to get in that line is more along the lines of a boarding pass or an e-ticket. Not everyone travelling has a suitcase.

I went to Union on the Monday and was informed there'd be a 2-hr wait (by this point the line had snaked all the way to the Bay St side of the Great Hall). The UP rep said there'd be no lines at Bloor but no guarantee of a seat, but I decided to chance it. Getting on at Bloor was no problem, but at Pearson the line to head back was said to be 1.5 hr and extended into the terminal. I decided to just get on the 192 bus instead and on the way there I passed some friends who had just flown in from the US and were looking to get on the UP. They had no idea about the freebie weekend but told me later they were allowed to skip the line.

I also noticed the Presto readers on the UP platform at Bloor were not in service, presumably because there would be no need to tap on.

I'm surprised no one has thought to bring an empty suitcase to avoid the line
that would have been smart. I a told my son to bring something to make it appear as we were travelling. Not to avoid the line-ups as I did not even know there would be such long line-ups (but only at Union it appears), but because he thought it crazy to go and ride the UPX for no reason.

Back