Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Unreal. Yeah, I saw laptop-guy at the very end of the Pearson platform behind a stanchion and wondered what was up. I figured he was an air traveler on a long layover who just liked trains and figured it was a fun spot to hang out!

I'm relieved to hear the explanation, only in the sense that I was cynical enough to wonder if someone found out too late that something in the design didn't meet code for airport construction.

At least this is eventually fixable, I hope!

- Paul

So it probably got more riders just this weekend than it ever got before since it opened.
depends what period of time you compare it to...is it, easily, the best weekend ever....yes......but, assuming another +/- 10k riders today (and I think it will be a little lower today) that would be ~30k over the weekend......therefore this free weekend will account for +/- half of the worst ever month.

S0, yes, 3 busiest days ever...yes, busiest weekend ever...but no not more riders than "it ever got before"

depends what period of time you compare it to...is it, easily, the best weekend ever....yes......but, assuming another +/- 10k riders today (and I think it will be a little lower today) that would be ~30k over the weekend......therefore this free weekend will account for +/- half of the worst ever month.

S0, yes, 3 busiest days ever...yes, busiest weekend ever...but no not more riders than "it ever got before"

The fact that they are reporting "ridership" numbers at all is strange. This is a marketing exercise, not transportation. They should be reporting on the things they are hoping to see - tweets, positive mentions, media reports, TV interviews given, etc... Or, rather, the fact they are not is a troubling indication that they're not getting the value they'd hoped for.

At 11 AM, the lineup at Pearson is already 45 mins and growing. UPE staff cheerfull if a bit harried, trying to keep the general public from bluffing their way into the Air Traveller preferred line. (Don't we love humanity!)
Wonder why no 3-car trains are being used.
- Paul

Where is the queue being held at Pearson? Wouldn't it back up into the LINK Train platform?

Where is the queue being held at Pearson? Wouldn't it back up into the LINK Train platform?

It did, and they were working pretty hard to snake it around it and leave gaps for people needing to get thru.

Overall, I liked the ride, although the slow crawl out of Pearson leaves a poor first impression. The scenery throughout the whole route is pretty bleak, one wishes the train would at least give the impression that things move along in this City. Only nitpicks I would have are
a) the cars' interior destination signs, which read 'Union Station' while at the platform and then switched to the next station as we went along. The better approach is for the sign to scroll thru all upcoming stations, which gives confirmation to the unfamiliar traveller that the train is for their stop.
b) the overhead luggage compartments have doors. On such a short trip, that's an invitation for things to get left behind.
c) they sure aren't in a hurry to finish Bloor station.

It was cool to hear the subway/GO chimes when the doors closed. I wonder if Toronto ought to use that in its brand somehow - just as the SNCF jingle is pretty distinctive.

Some 3-car trains were in service after all.

- Paul

Boarded at Weston this morning about 11am. We were trying do decide whether to go up to Pearson or go south to Union, hang around a bit and then take the UPX to Pearson, get off, hang out a bit and get back on to our starting destination at Weston. Mistake we made was to go south to Union on the train. We get off and see the long, long line up that went on forever. We were trying to get to the TTC and kept walking yet continued going past the long line-up. We were told it would be a 2 hour wait (but I guess that would depend where along line you were).

We decided to hop onto subway to get to Dundas West and hop on UPX there. We get to TTC station at Union, no person manning the station box, we could not make a purchase for tokens. There were people that had i think Presto cards but they appeared to be having issues also. We finally just went through (without paying) got on subway and got off at Dundas West. I had heard about the lack of signage at Dundas West and can confirm. I saw a sign pointing down meaning we had to go back down the stairs we came up from, presuming to walk to the other end of platform but not sure because we also saw other signs on the upper level but at that point my husband asked a TTC attendant and they told us to walk outside and gave direction on how to get to UPX. I sincerely hope there is another way between the subway and the UPX besides having to go outside. As someone else had reported, elevators at the UPX entrance at Dundas West was out of service. We walked up the flights of stairs and minutes alter got on-board and actually got seats. We decided at that point to stay on and get off at Pearson. Once at Pearson, we basically got off and back on train on the southbound train again which as empty at this point. Got seats and got off again at Weston Rd.

Positives:
This certainly is a Premium service with the WiFi, outlet for charging cell/laptops, washroom, luggage, comfy high seating, large windows, storage plus on-board attendant.

Now I can understand a train in Europe that goes between cities and trips can be 2 hrs, having washroom and on-board attendant because they do come around to check to see if passengers paid. But on a 25 min trip, washrooms are not needed. Is an attendant needed? Well I am not sure how it normally works to get on-board the UPX from Union. Does an attended check to see you have paid before getting on-board? If yes, no attendant is needed inside.

Will this ever become a commuter Line? Well not using the same premium UPX trains, But I can obviously see using the tracks for commuter service. As part of (dare I say it) SmartTrack, You should not just have the line running to Union. Off course the line would not be as express anymore but still pretty express as there would only be a handful of stations added to the line before Union.

I was pretty sure to count the cars and there were 3 cars attached for the train. So how many would all 3 cars holding combined standing room only? I suppose a normal TTC subway would not fit the tracks (I have already heard the platforms are not long enough). Would the LRT trains for Crosstown fit?

But on a 25 min trip, washrooms are not needed.
Based on my experiences in international travel, there are times when after 24 to 36 hours of flying, that the nearby presence of a washroom is critically important.

Is an attendant needed? Well I am not sure how it normally works to get on-board the UPX from Union. Does an attended check to see you have paid before getting on-board? If yes, no attendant is needed inside.
No, they check your tickets once you are on board, en-route. And if you haven't got one, you purchase it from this person (for an extra $2 charge).

So if you are running late, and the train is about to leave, you don't have to worry about buying tickets, just jump on the train, and buy it from the conductor. Though Presto takes away that issue.

A future marketing exercise could be a "TTC fare weekend" to see how the demand is --

-- and what modifications will be needed in the future to accommodate the demand. Such as merging SmartTrack, UPX and RER services into one unified service, a single longer train (like a 6-coach bilevel EMU) set that visits one of the regular Union platforms (possibly modified to higher platform), with every other (or 1-in-X trains) going to Bramalea instead of Pearson. Station and spur modifications would probably be needed, but this question is begged during electrification of UPX. It would in theory take over some existing GO service for that particular corridor (though they may have to substitute a longer train during peak, for the peak Bramalea trips that do not go on the spur).

At Union 9:50, the line was only the length of the ramp down the SkyWalk floor and made the 10 am train. Didn't eat at the Pearson as I thought weird there's line ups at the 7/11 and Tim Hortons. Leaving was 30 minute wait as the queue reached the terminal link. Got off Dundas West for lunch and decided to get back to finish the trip as barely anyone was there. I imagine Weston/Lawrence stop is light.

3 hours later, the lineup had gone all the way to the end of the Great Hall on the Bay side. Good thing I went early.

EDIT oh yea UP staff had to get real travelers out of the family day line up.

Last edited:
-- and what modifications will be needed in the future to accommodate the demand. Such as merging SmartTrack, UPX and RER services into one unified service, a single longer train (like a 6-coach bilevel EMU) set that visits one of the regular Union platforms (possibly modified to higher platform), with every other (or 1-in-X trains) going to Bramalea instead of Pearson. Station and spur modifications would probably be needed, but this question is begged during electrification of UPX. It would in theory take over some existing GO service for that particular corridor (though they may have to substitute a longer train during peak, for the peak Bramalea trips that do not go on the spur).

My thoughts exactly (from Fantasy Maps thread).
Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 18.37.56.png

PearsonSpurSched2022.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 18.37.56.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 18.37.56.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 660
  • PearsonSpurSched2022.png
    PearsonSpurSched2022.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 600

Back