Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Wait, you were dropping someone off?
Where did you leave your car?
UPX has a "Meeter and Greeter" fare ($13.75 per way average, $27.50 total) which is what I think he used.

He was greeting via transit, like many of us have done by TTC in the past. You don't want to keep family waiting if your car is delayed in traffic. Or helping grandma with luggage even if both of you are transit users. Etc. There are plenty of people who do this, including boyfriends and girlfriends who can't wait to see their loved one. I know I've done this back in my day too, even before I owned a car.

Last edited:
My mom and I went to drop my grandma. She was driving to work afterwards, so we split at the airport.
Aha, makes sense!

Normally when I pick up or drop off someone at the airport - unless it's the middle of the night or something - I take transit. I'm there to get them where they need to go, carry bags, etc. Someone else can drive the vehicle ...
"pick up" and "drop off" tend to imply the use of a car. Without a car, it's often "meet at" or "accompany" or "go with".
Not that it's necessarily incorrect to use the former, but the language still heavily implies active car use. Over time, that may change.

Was walking by the UP Express station at Union today and took these. This is incredibly concerning. I thought it was supposed to be every 15 minutes? And the screens say no delays?!? Tweeting this to them too. Very curious to hear what happened--a HUGE delay if these screens are right. Hopefully just a tracking/display issue and these numbers weren't accurate...

First two were taken at 7:03 PM. Last one at 7:58 PM.

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 609
Stuff happens.

Which is why a 15-minute SmartTrack service is nothing like a subway.
There was a major GO stoppage (due to police investigation) for two hours today which had major cascading and downstream congestion effects, including onto UPX. I was on a delayed GO train today, it was a massive mess on Lakeshore.

However, the "No Service Delays" message is definitely inaccurate. That needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
As if delays never happen on the subway.
Of course it does. Neither the BD nor YUS subway is ever scheduled to run less frequently than once every 5 minutes. But we've all arrived in the subway to see the sign say next train in 9 minutes or 10 minutes.

I'm simply saying that there's going to be times (and not infrequent) where you'll have double the usual wait. 10 minutes instead of 5 off-peak on the subway. 4 minutes instead of 2 minutes in rush hour on the subway.

And 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes on Smart Track. Which is why someone at Kennedy is unlikely to use SmartTrack to get to Queen, to save 3-4 minutes.

I'm curious - did the 31 minutes number count down? Was it even accurate? I'm guessing that the intervening trains were annulled, rather than delayed, and 31 minutes ties to the next scheduled run that hasn't been annulled.

I wonder how UPX plans to restore service after a delay. Turnbacks (as the subway does) don't really make sense. Having trains shift to the schedule of a following train would be chaotic.

- Paul

I'm curious - did the 31 minutes number count down? Was it even accurate? I'm guessing that the intervening trains were annulled, rather than delayed, and 31 minutes ties to the next scheduled run that hasn't been annulled.

I wonder how UPX plans to restore service after a delay. Turnbacks (as the subway does) don't really make sense. Having trains shift to the schedule of a following train would be chaotic.

- Paul

In the event of a train going missing like that, they have buses in place to get people to and from the airport instead.

When it happened on Saturday, they simply waited until the gap showed up again at Union and inserted a replacement train into that slot. By the end of the day, no one who was riding the trains had any idea that there had been delays earlier.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

In the event of a train going missing like that, they have buses in place to get people to and from the airport instead.

When it happened on Saturday, they simply waited until the gap showed up again at Union and inserted a replacement train into that slot. By the end of the day, no one who was riding the trains had any idea that there had been delays earlier.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
However, observe the gap occured twice. It wasn't filled in during the next cycle. And the Delays message was not updated!

Apparently it was an issue with the display boards, according to their twitter team. Trains were on time. Relieved to hear that but still, that would look very bad to passers-by.

Of course it does. Neither the BD nor YUS subway is ever scheduled to run less frequently than once every 5 minutes. But we've all arrived in the subway to see the sign say next train in 9 minutes or 10 minutes.

I'm simply saying that there's going to be times (and not infrequent) where you'll have double the usual wait. 10 minutes instead of 5 off-peak on the subway. 4 minutes instead of 2 minutes in rush hour on the subway.

And 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes on Smart Track. Which is why someone at Kennedy is unlikely to use SmartTrack to get to Queen, to save 3-4 minutes.

Smarttrack/GO-RER will be "at least" 15 minutes. Currently there are 7 minute headways on the GO train lakeshore West train during peak rush hour.

I hate this misconception and misinformation. UPX is every 15 minutes all the time.

Expect 5 minute frequencies for Smarttrack/GO RER for peak service. 15 minutes will just be nights/weekends.

Dont say its not possible: The Sydney commuter trains adhere to very similar standards as FRA/Transport Canada, and they have 120 SECOND frequencies at peak service.

We do need things like the final 4th track through the Georgetown corridor, 3 tracks through Stouffville corridor, electrification and signal upgrades to make that happen.

But its possible, and far more cost effective than any other method. It can, and will be done, and don't go pointing fingers at our current system and say "SMARTTRACK WON'T HAPPEN SEE!? I TOLD YOU!"

That is so unbelievably ignorant.

Last edited:

Back