Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I find it odd they have all these amenities, like beer and coffee, for people waiting for trains... when the maximum wait for the train isn't very long. 15 minutes between departures, and isn't the schedule such that the trains will layup in the stations for 5 minutes before departure anyway? That's a maximum of 10 minutes of waiting for a train to show up...

You could be early, and skip a train, or see your flight is delayed just by looking at the airport departure boards at Union (they're there).

And as a rendezvous. My spouse could meet me in the lounge after my job downtown, for example (real world usefulness for me). Relax a bit, catch a train.

Or even on arrival, "I need a beer after that long flight". And occasionally the trains will be full, and you want to skip to the next so you have a seat.

And businesspeople buying a gift for their family at the high end souvenir shop.

Last edited:
Here is a bit of irony for y'all.

One of the ways this province is paying for transit improvements is squeezing more money from beer sales.....one of the revenue tools for this service is their retail partners at the union lounge....one of those partners is Mill Street brewery.....but this is still Ontario and while you can buy a beer in this lounge at Union you better drink it during the gap between trains (15 minutes so lets say the average customer wait time is 7.5 minutes) because they will not be serving on the train itself and, to make it worse, any beer bought in the lounge has to be finished in the lounge and cannot be carried onto the train.

I find it odd they have all these amenities, like beer and coffee, for people waiting for trains... when the maximum wait for the train isn't very long. 15 minutes between departures, and isn't the schedule such that the trains will layup in the stations for 5 minutes before departure anyway? That's a maximum of 10 minutes of waiting for a train to show up...

'Ah man, its good chattin' with you in this lounge and having this beer. Ah shit...train's here. But...every 15 minutes, right? Screw it, let's have another!'

I don't think its ironic at all.

GO Service Changes Starting May 4

Interesting, but that said, I doubt the UPX service will be ready in 2 weeks.

My bet is that it will be and I am thinking this media ride tomorrow is as good a time as any to announce that.

So...it looks like they are gathering the media on these trains for some sort of news

AnneMarieAikins@femwriter said:
56m56 minutes ago Toronto, Ontario
Very excited to check out new station @unionstationTO for @UPexpress as I haven't seen in awhile. Early day with big news ahead @Metrolinx

You know, that's true.
There will be tourists and business travellers who spend a whole week in Toronto without ever stepping outside.
Conventions, sports events, TIFF, multiple hotel-resorts, flagship mall, College/Bloor (subway and eventually PATH), even future connections to Aquarium, etc.
For those talking about how UPX would allow travellers to spend long periods of time in Toronto without going outside... well... PATH is a labyrinth and can be very hard to navigate if you're not familiar with it.

Maybe the travellers would spend long periods without going outside because they can't figure out how to escape from the PATH.

Maybe the travellers would spend long periods without going outside because they can't figure out how to escape from the PATH.

I've helped more than a few tourists staying at the Sheraton center navigate their way back to the Sheraton center.

They'd wander out thinking it was a mall (you know, fairly limited space) and be lost after a couple km of wandering.

15 minute wait means an average wait time of 7.5 minutes in reality. It takes more than that usually to finish a pint of beer for me (if I'm not doing other recreational beer activities ofcourse ;))

Launching 16 days before summer (proof).

At least the view will be prettier with more greenery -- and York concourse may be opening at the same time!

Should spend some time in the Lounge just as a visitor for coffee. Being out of the way of the hustle-bustle of Union (above UPX concourse), I would imagine the lounge is open to the public like a premium cafe, being served with Mill microbrewery beer and Balzacs coffee. That makes it better than even a Starbucks. I'd go to the UPX lounge occasionally, just to relax if I missed a GO train. :)

Last edited:
Launching 16 days before summer. At least the view will be prettier -- and York concourse may be opening at the same time!

And is still a "spring 2015" launch. Seriously, I have noted a growing trend in the public sector that opening dates/launches are being talked about in terms of seasons....it really gives a built in cushion of 3 months to be "on time"....a creative practice that I have been trying to get our accountants here to buy into without success.

Back