Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

A Paris Metro ticket is good for RER within the City of Paris; ie they are interchangeable. If you want to go to La Defense, howver, you pay more as it's outside Paris proper and thus the central fare zone. Same for either airport.

A Paris Metro ticket is good for RER within the City of Paris; ie they are interchangeable. If you want to go to La Defense, howver, you pay more as it's outside Paris proper and thus the central fare zone. Same for either airport.

Considering the size of Paris, Toronto would charge a flat fee within the old city boundary and extra beyond that.

If you travel within a zone then the fare is the same. Basically the Paris metro is a one zone fare even when it crosses zones, whereas RER has the same fare for a single zone but crossing zones increases the fare. However, a single fare zone is not the size of Toronto. I think for distances of less than about 10-12km it would be the same fare in Paris.

Yes, Paris would equivalent to the area south of Eglinton, west of woodbine and east of High Park.

There are other threads covering Presto and fare integration. Please take the fare discussion there and bring this thread back on topic.

Can we just let the market set the fare for the UPE? If $27, $17 or $10 per use is too much, then the train will run at low capacity. The owners will either have to adjust fares to exceed breakeven, or run at a loss and go cap in hand to the govt for increased subsidies. I'd prefer the former.

For me, I'll likely expense the $27 as I can walk to Union from my house.

Can we just let the market set the fare for the UPE? If $27, $17 or $10 per use is too much, then the train will run at low capacity. The owners will either have to adjust fares to exceed breakeven, or run at a loss and go cap in hand to the govt for increased subsidies. I'd prefer the former.

I'll use it as many of our business trips are same day or overnights that start in the middle of the day....and I can walk from my office. I will, however, get fired if I expense $27 for a trip that I could have got for $19 on my Presto card ;)

It is also very interesting how people think this price is set in stone. I hope based on supply/demand they will change the price after 1 or 2 years. If it's full, expect that the Presto and/or employee prices to increase (as well as the various secondary stations based on capacity). If it's not meeting their expectations they will drop the price (first the cash fare...as this is the sticker shock that may deter passangers)

Due to the shortage of ballast, Metrolinx is dealing with it as best as they can, as it is stopping them from getting new tracks install.

Between the ballast shortage and the TTC issue at Bloor Station, relocation of the temporarily east platform to the new west platform will not take place this month and will happen in early 2015 now.

The original track 2 was removed last week along with the ties so the new track 3 can be built in its place. The last of the ties were being removed while on site. Part of track 3 is in place south of Dupont and north of Wallace Overpass. Also south of the station and Dundas.

Couldn't get any inside shots of the Bloor entrance of the Crossway tunnel as too much work was taking place on Friday when I was there. It could be my eyes, but I found the UPX platform longer than the Weston Station, as well more upscale. The GO platform is upscale to the south, but down scale for the north compare to Weston.

Snow melting system will be install in Jan for the remaining section of the GO platform as well UPX platform. Depending on the weather, the platforms will be completed by Feb.

Work will be taking place over the holidays with only Dec 25 and Jan 1 off days.

Track 1 on the Galt line is complete up to Dupont.

They were placing some ballast on the south side of Dupont bridges to allow ballast to be finally place on the bridges to all tracks and track 2 to go south and become track 3 at Bloor Station. Track 3 is laying in the new tunnel and short of Dupont, but lacking ballast and alignment and will become track 4 in the Bloor Station. Only a short section of track 4 in place at the Bloor Station. Track 4 in the tunnel will go in once all the other lines are up and running as well having ballast to do it.

Only a small section of the tunnel wall on the north side for the west side is lacking precast wall. The centre wall will not see any precast and the shoring tubes will be painted. I hope they use a bright colour for the tubes than the grey painting they have been using on the ones behind the precast.

Crews were installing the sound barrier while walking between the 2 sites and very simple insulation. The remainder of the post up by Dupont for the Railpath non climb security fence were being install and they are installed all the way to Dundas outside the Sound Barrier wall area. Should had shot the video while in the corridor as the light was better than when I did shot it from the Railpath. Prefer the clear material than material you can't see through.

All the form insulation has been apply to the building beside the tunnel and waiting for material to be place over it in Jan. Looks like metal siding will be going in, in place of the brick wall that was there before falling off because of the construction.

Patio slabs have been added to the end of the bridges and too bad dirt, grass and bushes couldn't had been place there to improved the look of the area as well giving a green look.

The stair for tunnel 2 still have to be install. The storm pond has been built west of the City pump station and between CP Rail lines.

A lot more photos are up on site.
16072787211_c8c1236489_b.jpg

16074718625_9551df11e8_b.jpg

15442842324_f8bd4ee0f9_b.jpg

15445485973_4caeb61f7e_b.jpg

15877711338_b921738eaf_b.jpg

15877718148_4274de2d7b_b.jpg

15879406297_3b80f566a5_b.jpg

15879092169_7d664720a5_b.jpg

15879099649_e78fe150d6_b.jpg

16039391526_b1efa04582_b.jpg

16039427986_df7e2de7f1_b.jpg

15878983669_cc9eed3efb_b.jpg

15445402833_cb4f01b9a1_b.jpg

15445406933_904f7fc01c_b.jpg

15877787290_c7dbe5367e_b.jpg

16065084915_235463706f_b.jpg

15879340187_bc76da1885_b.jpg

16064410142_e50e3a494b_b.jpg

15877677208_9cf212d063_b.jpg

15445429743_c11a828a58_b.jpg

16046828335_7ed9d939d7_b.jpg

15424550334_92328cb3d1_b.jpg

15859543310_d1c3d7e404_b.jpg

The trains don't seem very big though (even including the middle section), so it doesn't seem like they'll need a huge amount of people to fill them up every 15 min.

The trains don't seem very big though (even including the middle section), so it doesn't seem like they'll need a huge amount of people to fill them up every 15 min.

To reach their target of 1.2million riders a year they need, on average, something like 23 people on each train. I may be in the minority but I think they have actually underestimated demand.

Intentionally. They want to go public that the trains are a resounding success. Disbelieving public will grudgingly accept the train overpricing, especially when more and more learn that Georgetown corridor prep (funded by UPX) made SmartTrack possible.

Or, it might fall short of demand, be a boondoggle. But I would hope not as Metrolinx needs this train to succeed.

Intentionally. They want to go public that the trains are a resounding success. Disbelieving public will grudgingly accept the train overpricing, especially when more and more learn that Georgetown corridor prep (funded by UPX) made SmartTrack possible.

This has to stop......the Georgetown corridor was not prepped by UPe.....if anything the opposite. In addition to the $456 million direct cost for UPe, $1.2B of public funds went into the corridor. As I have said before, the saddest part of all of this is that we have spent that much public money (the $1.2B) on a public transit corridor and, today and for the near term, we actually have less public transit trains running on it than before the expenditure.......and they are being allowed by an unwitting media to get away without a) telling how they could do this without formulating a plan over the 4 or 5 years of construction on how to implement more service and b) release their plan to do so.

If you/they are going to say UPe is what will (some day) bring more public transit to the line they should man up and declare the cost of UPe is actually $1.656B.

(and that comes from someone who is largely a supporter of the UPe).

Or, it might fall short of demand, be a boondoggle. But I would hope not as Metrolinx needs this train to succeed.

As I said, if the target, the measure of success, is 1.2 million riders....I have little doubt that they can achieve an average of 23 people per train with this price structure

A lot of people I know in person, are saying "UPX cost a billion dollars", not knowing that total includes the corridor. But you're right about the distinction...

I have a question:
As I said, if the target, the measure of success, is 1.2 million riders....I have little doubt that they can achieve an average of 23 people per train with this price structure
Per direction, right?

Back