Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

^ That's right, you only pay the extra fare if you are leaving YVR not arriving into it.

I can see them not wanting to make it part of the standard system until electrification is complete but extra stations can be added but don't need to be there before the line starts.

Things will REALLY hit the fan when this little luxury liner starts bleeding red ink after next year and Metrolinx ends up having to subsidize the service to keep it going.

The ped tunnel will cost 30 cents?

That is a pretty meaningless chart then. If it not free to go from Carlingview/Dixon to Pearson. Toronto should show up as free as well. The fairest thing would be City Hall to airport.

The ped tunnel will cost 30 cents?

That is a pretty meaningless chart then. If it not free to go from Carlingview/Dixon to Pearson. Toronto should show up as free as well. The fairest thing would be City Hall to airport.
If you read the article, you'd read that zero values were rounded up to 25 cents so that they would show on the chart.

That's an often unreliable website. For example, it lists the next most expensive as the train at JFK. However there is no train at JFK. What it really is Train + Metro, and you have to take the regular Long Island commuter train from Penn Station to Jamaica Center, and then transfer to the MTA ART (same technology as SRT and Vancouver Skytrain) line about 10 km from Jamaica to JFK. They show this fare to be about CAN$16.70. However, the US$15.50 is actually CAN$17.89 .

So $19 for direct 25-minute train to Pearson compared to $18 for using commuter trains and having to change to Skytrain in New York.

I daredn't start looking at their other entries, to see if they are all equally as biased.

Indeed they are. They have merely listed "Train", without the distinction between public transit trains (i.e. all-stops commuter rail) and premium express trains (of which UP is the only example in North America, but overseas examples are equally pricey relative to their competing public transit). As you've noted, they also conveniently forgot a number of transfers required to actually use said trains.

Taking a look at the example I have used, NJ Transit from Penn Station to Newark Airport, it is laughable that it is shown identically to UP Express. Unlike UP, it does not actually go to the airport. You have to take the people-mover all the way out to the NEC, at which point you could be waiting up to 25 minutes for the next NJ Transit local train to Penn. The $19 CAD UP Express provides much better value for the money than $12.50 USD NJ Transit link.

Last edited:
That chart is wrong for Vancouver.

It's $2.75 one way from downtown with the added $5 only when leaving the airport. Also it is part of the standard transit system so it's completely integrated. Taking that into account the UP is even more outrageously expensive but then Vancouver didn't spend taxpayers money to move business people who don't pay the fare anyway.

During the day (peak) the fare to YVR would be 2 zones, so $4.00. Evenings and weekends, it would be one-zone - $2.75.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...the_cheaper_if_not_faster_way_to_pearson.html

So the 192 is rebranding to compete with the UPe. One thing I am not sure is that why the TTC doesn't offer a direct non-stop downtown-Pearson express service from Union, instead of from Kipling station. The bus will use the same route as the Airport shuttle bus, and runs every 15-20 minutes, or less frequent during time when the airport has few landings/takeoffs. Will that lose money? It could charge a premium service fee, $6 for example and I think it will get a lot of business.

The subway + 192 is not a bad choice, but there are simply way too many stops on the Bloor line, and then you get off and wait for the 192. It adds up.

For those who are bitching about the price, I've said it before and I'll say it again: why aren't you cheesed off that the Eglinton Crosstown and the Finch West LRT stop short of the airport?

There's a huge benefit with having an express service, and if you want that benefit, you're gonna have to pay for it. If you want to get there using rapid transit and $3, you need to bitch to Metrolinx, the pronvince and the City to follow through with The Big Move and extend these lines west.

Your frustration is misplaced.

The TTC is just $3. You get what you pay for.

yes, and that's what I always use. And I will start using the UPe as I am close to Union. $19 is acceptable to me, but maybe not so for a lot of others. Today I was discussing this with two colleagues, one living near Davisville station and one near Lawrence West. Both said it is not worth it to travel all the way down to Union and pay $19 to get to the airport.

What I am discussing is something in between - a non-premium but direct bus service between downtown and Union at a price in between. It will be faster than subways+192 but less predictable (and less luxurious) than the UPe. Something the two colleagues might like if the price is $6.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...the_cheaper_if_not_faster_way_to_pearson.html

So the 192 is rebranding to compete with the UPe. One thing I am not sure is that why the TTC doesn't offer a direct non-stop downtown-Pearson express service from Union, instead of from Kipling station. The bus will use the same route as the Airport shuttle bus, and runs every 15-20 minutes, or less frequent during time when the airport has few landings/takeoffs. Will that lose money? It could charge a premium service fee, $6 for example and I think it will get a lot of business.

The subway + 192 is not a bad choice, but there are simply way too many stops on the Bloor line, and then you get off and wait for the 192. It adds up.

When they shut down the airport express bus a few months ago one of the reasons they gave was dwindling ridership (which figured to only get worse once UPe starts)......in the newspaper articles they did not attribute the dwindling ridership to price (which was UPe type or more) but, rather, the growing difficulties they were having in getting people to the airport in a timely and scheduled fashion.

Perhaps the TTC is well aware of this and realizes that one of the advantages of the 192/rocket is that it goes most of the way there underground and only completes its journey above ground in traffic.

The interesting thing about the TTC airport service is that the way it operates is exactly how I use the 747 when I am in Montreal....bus to first subway stop then on to my destination (unlike the 192, though, the 747 continues on into downtown)......and the Montreal folks manage to charge a premium fare for the service without scaring off ridership.

yes, and that's what I always use. And I will start using the UPe as I am close to Union. $19 is acceptable to me, but maybe not so for a lot of others. Today I was discussing this with two colleagues, one living near Davisville station and one near Lawrence West. Both said it is not worth it to travel all the way down to Union and pay $19 to get to the airport.

What I am discussing is something in between - a non-premium but direct bus service between downtown and Union at a price in between. It will be faster than subways+192 but less predictable (and less luxurious) than the UPe. Something the two colleagues might like if the price is $6.

I am confused.....they would not go all the way downtown to catch a train that takes 25 minutes to the airport but they would go downtown to take a bus that would take much longer? Perhaps it would be easier for them to get to Dundas West and take the train for less than $19?

Your colleagues near Davisville and Lawrence West are a short subway ride away from the Eglinton Crosstown, which in the near future they can take to Mt Dennis and then transfer to the UPX (until it's eventually is extended to Pearson). Alternatively, from Lawrence or Lawrence West station you can ride a single bus straight to the airport. There's no reason for these colleagues to have to "travel all the way to Union and pay $19", and a special bus service from downtown to Pearson is not gonna change that.

Last edited:
Your colleagues near Davisville and Lawrence West are a short subway ride away from the Eglinton Crosstown, which in the near future they can take to Mt Dennis and then transfer to the UPX (until it's eventually is extended to Pearson). Alternatively, from Lawrence or Lawrence West station you can ride a single bus straight to the airport. There's no reason for these colleagues to have to "travel all the way to Union and pay $19", and a special bus service from downtown to Pearson is not gonna change that.
I didn't realize 2022 was the near future.

Back