Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

anything built in time for the Olympics with long term transit needs being secondary...........sound familiar?
No, it doesn't sound familiar. The Canada Line was approved after the Olympic Games were awarded. The UPX was approved years before the Pan-Am bid even started. The design was settled before the games were awarded. All the games have done is provide incentive to open on time, and saved it from the endless Toronto habit of changing the plan delaying the project for years while navel gazing.

Pathetic as it is the Canada Line is still vastly superior to what the UPX will be ...
They aren't even comparable. One is simply the end of the line of a local grade-separated light-rail system. The other is heavy rail. One is comparable to the Picadilly line in London, and the other is comparable to the Heathrow Connect line in London. (sadly, neither is comparable to Heathrow Express).

Problems with UP Express:
- the unannounced prices are too high
- taxpayers stuck subsidizing the jet set
- the trains belch diesel fumes and are too noisy
- the proposed electrical system is an eyesore and the electromagnetic fields will cause cancer in the school kids whose schools line the route
- nobody is going to ride the train at that price
- the trains are too small
- the train isn't fast enough
- the train should stop at Queen, St.Clair, Eglinton, Weston, and Etobicoke North
- rich people aren't going to take the train, they take limos
- why should the taxpayers subsidize fat cats riding this thing
... and finally ...
- they should have dedicated more platforms to this train than just one.

Hopefully I covered everything. This is why the airport rail link stinks.

- the proposed electrical system is an eyesore and the electromagnetic fields will cause cancer in the school kids whose schools line the route
- the train should stop at Queen, St.Clair, Eglinton, Weston, and Etobicoke North
... and finally ...

Thanks for putting that list together......I think it would be more impactful though if we could change the order of the list.

In particular i like it when "nobody will ride the train" and "the trains are too small" are listed directly beside each other.

... and finally ...

You can't have both speed and stops at the same time. At the stations/stops the trains have to brake, dwell to let people on or off, then accelerate. Each station/stop slows down the train.

You can't have both speed and stops at the same time. At the stations/stops the trains have to brake, dwell to let people on or off, then accelerate. Each station/stop slows down the train.

I think they oxymoronic nature of some of the list items is the point Enviro is making.....no?

I think they oxymoronic nature of some of the list items is the point Enviro is making.....no?

Well I thought so, it was quite entertaining !

Problems with your comment:
Prices are still unannounced, as you said

What subsidizing?

Umm ok, the GO trains also belch diesel fumes and are too noisy. Electrification and noise barriers will help solve that in the near future

Citation please?

Right, cause no one has ever taken a $50 cab for the privilege of getting stuck in traffic. No one ever rides the pricy London-Heathrow express

But I thought no one will ride the UPX

If you have any better ideas to get from Pearson to Union in just 25 minutes, I would like to know

So now the train is not slow enough. Ok

Time is money. Rich people value their time and are not interested in sitting in a limo stuck on the 401

See point number 2

... and finally ...
- they should have dedicated more platforms to this train than just one
Why?

Last edited:
the noise and fume emission profiles of the UPX killer diesels must have killed at least 1,000 by now. Stupid election impeding The Truth Getting Out.

No one ever rides the pricy London-Heathrow express.
Something that should be noted is that there is a parallel local service to Heathrow Express called Heathrow Connect, which costs half the price, and only stops at five intermediate stations, but runs slightly less frequently. There is a fast expensive option, and a cheaper slower option for direct airport rail services.

If UPX is to be overpriced and targeted for the elites, a frequent GO Transit shuttle bus should be offered between Pearson and Malton GO station, and half-hourly, all-day GO train service should be implemented between Union and at least Bramalea.

The real tragedy here is that UPX could have been Toronto's first S-bahn type rail service, if it only had accepted TTC fares for travel inside Toronto, and charged a premium for boarding/exiting at the airport. This was a real missed opportunity, but can still be done if the political will is ever there, or the residents along the line begin demanding it. How will it feel when residents realize they have a frequent train service running through their backyard that they can't afford to use, and have to be satisfied with shitty bus services that really make reaching downtown a mission. I expect a major uproar from the community once the line enters service.

Something that should be noted is that there is a parallel local service to Heathrow Express called Heathrow Connect, which costs half the price, and only stops at five intermediate stations, but runs slightly less frequently. There is a fast expensive option, and a cheaper slower option for direct airport rail services.

If UPX is to be overpriced and targeted for the elites, a frequent GO Transit shuttle bus should be offered between Pearson and Malton GO station, and half-hourly, all-day GO train service should be implemented between Union and at least Bramalea.

The real tragedy here is that UPX could have been Toronto's first S-bahn type rail service, if it only had accepted TTC fares for travel inside Toronto, and charged a premium for boarding/exiting at the airport. This was a real missed opportunity, but can still be done if the political will is ever there, or the residents along the line begin demanding it. How will it feel when residents realize they have a frequent train service running through their backyard that they can't afford to use, and have to be satisfied with shitty bus services that really make reaching downtown a mission. I expect a major uproar from the community once the line enters service.

Even if the UPX terminals had the capacity to accommodate both an express and local service (with local service provided by standard Go Transit). First Go Transit would have to accept that the airport service COULD NOT be served by the monster 10 and 12 car trains it currently uses on it's routes.

Even if the UPX terminals had the capacity to accommodate both an express and local service (with local service provided by standard Go Transit). First Go Transit would have to accept that the airport service COULD NOT be served by the monster 10 and 12 car trains it currently uses on it's routes.

But the question is would the 6-car EMUs that GO is likely planning on running theoretically fit, or would the Pearson UPX station be even too small for those?

Back