Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

All ridership numbers are as of Spring 2012.
Kipling, AM peak - 511 off, 358 on.
Kipling, PM peak - 378 on, 396 off.
Kennedy, AM peak - 126 off, 74 on.
Kennedy, PM peak - 115 on, 80 off.

Are those the total ridership numbers for each GO station or is that the number of riders that get off the GO and then transfer over to the subway at each stop and vice versa?

Except, of course, they happen to be going somewhere that isn't Union. And judging by the passenger numbers, there seems to be a reasonable amount of people who do just that, at least at Kipling.
The Milton trains are packed by the time they get to Kipling, so anyone going to the west side of Toronto would be more comfortable taking the TTC for the remainder of their trip.
Milton-loading.jpg
(Electrification Study, Appendix 3, Figure 12)

That said, Miway (Presto) and Grand River (cash + POP/Presto) have co-fares, so it's just the politics and financials of the matter that are the issue. The TTC don't want to pay for it and GO doesn't want extra TTC riders (demand continues to outpace capacity).

Attachments

• Milton-loading.jpg
    Milton-loading.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 475
That said, Miway (Presto) and Grand River (cash + POP/Presto) have co-fares, so it's just the politics and financials of the matter that are the issue. The TTC don't want to pay for it and GO doesn't want extra TTC riders (demand continues to outpace capacity).
Would the TTC actually have to pay anything? It was my understanding that GO reimbursed all the other local systems for offering riders co-fares.

Would the TTC actually have to pay anything? It was my understanding that GO reimbursed all the other local systems for offering riders co-fares.

I wouldn't think so, but as was mentioned above, the sticking point may not necessarily be money, but riders. GO is already pretty full, and cramming TTC riders onto GO trains won't exactly help that.

I would venture to say the reason GO is pursuing co-fares in suburban areas is to reduce the amount of parking they need to provide, while still keeping ridership high. I would venture to say that they amount they have to dish out per rider using co-fare is roughly the same amount as it takes for GO to provide a parking spot, perhaps even less. Giving what basically amounts to subsidies to 905 transit systems that are already not very well used is a heck of a lot cheaper than building a parking structure.

Since none of GO's Toronto stations (with the exception of maybe Guildwood and Rouge Hill) have any substantial parking, that subsidy in order to reduce parking is pretty much pointless.

it's 115 boarding northbound in the evening. I am truly amazed more get on than get off.
Oops.

I'm not really. There's this perception that everyone wants to get to Union. But it's hardly a major employment node for those living in Scarborough. I expect most people's destination is north of King. Many are north of Shuter. By the time you get that far north, there's little point heading all the way down to Union, as whatever you gain with GO, you loose getting to Union, waiting for train ... and not to mention the extra fare.

I wouldn't think so, but as was mentioned above, the sticking point may not necessarily be money, but riders. GO is already pretty full, and cramming TTC riders onto GO trains won't exactly help that.

I would venture to say the reason GO is pursuing co-fares in suburban areas is to reduce the amount of parking they need to provide, while still keeping ridership high. I would venture to say that they amount they have to dish out per rider using co-fare is roughly the same amount as it takes for GO to provide a parking spot, perhaps even less. Giving what basically amounts to subsidies to 905 transit systems that are already not very well used is a heck of a lot cheaper than building a parking structure.

Since none of GO's Toronto stations (with the exception of maybe Guildwood and Rouge Hill) have any substantial parking, that subsidy in order to reduce parking is pretty much pointless.

Though GO does not have any parking in Hamilton, but it does have s a co-fare agreement. Maybe to mitigate need for parking at Aldershot though.

It is absurd there is no fare integration.

As I stated earlier, they should do a trial.........let people who have a TTC pass, be able to board any GO train/bus in the city limits for free. If ridership skyrockets then that tells a huge story................people aren't taking GO because it's too damn expensive.

Although a lot of urbanites who wouldn't go north of St.Clair if their life depended on it, think people take transit for the urbanity of it all the reality is very different. Most people don't take transit because of it's speed, a sense of personal responsibility, to develop an urban vibe, or to be environmental sensitive. The overwhelming majority do it for only one reason..........they can't afford to drive.

People who take transit are far more likely to be seniors, students, disabled, unemployed, or the working poor. Yes there are many middle class who take transit but that is usually out of necessity or because they live right on the subway line. When it comes to transit ticket prices, size matters. The reality is that hundreds of thousand more commuters would take GO everyday but they don't because they can't afford it. Transit agencies are concerned about raising fares because it could hurt individual people's pocketbooks. That may sell well on TV but the reality is that is not an issue. The only reason they are concerned about rising fares is it's potential to hurt ridership. When a small .25 cent rise in fares can cause a decline in ridership, imagine the impact of having to more than double/triple your fare everyday to take GO.

Electrification, huge increases in frequency will mean next to nothing for the commuters of Toronto. Just because a train is coming by more frequently than it use to doesn't mean you can all of a sudden afford to take it.

It is absurd there is no fare integration.

As I stated earlier, they should do a trial.........let people who have a TTC pass, be able to board any GO train/bus in the city limits for free. If ridership skyrockets then that tells a huge story................people aren't taking GO because it's too damn expensive.

They don't need to do a trial. The reason people would take the TTC past a GO station during times where the GO services is available and continue on the TTC downtown is entirely price. Who wouldn't want to take a direct route to downtown for the same price? Why study it? The whole point is that GO doesn't currently have the capacity to deliver services at that price. The more people you can fit onto a vehicle the cheaper it is to provide the service, and the cheaper the service the greater the demand. GO just can't deliver without a major upfront spend on infrastructure. If Metrolinx prioritized eliminating capacity constraints on the GO lines within the city limits then they could phase in lower and more integrated fares. If they integrate the fares with the TTC now it would only serve to aggravate suburban commuters that can no longer fit on the train and with subway riders around Union. You can only lower the price on something if you can accommodate the demand that would create.

The new fast track video is on line comprise of a number different time including the one above and various locations for the Old Weston Rd Deck Span move. I have taken the almost 2 hours videos
down to about 5 minutes.

Not all the videos are on lines shot from different locations, but some are on line now.

Since I now got the Sept 1 video to work, I will have it on line by Tuesday night.
[video=youtube_share;fSrmoDuBiG8]http://youtu.be/fSrmoDuBiG8[/video]

Here is the Sept 1 Toronto West Diamond move
[video=youtube_share;SE_gwapmbFk]http://youtu.be/SE_gwapmbFk[/video]

Are those the total ridership numbers for each GO station or is that the number of riders that get off the GO and then transfer over to the subway at each stop and vice versa?

Those are the on/offs at the GO platforms at those two stations, where a healthy portion of the ridership would be transferring from one to the other. I also have numbers for Bloor and Danforth, but seeing as how the connections there are somewhat less than convenient I wouldn't assume that there would be as high a percentage of transfers.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I also have numbers for Bloor and Danforth, but seeing as how the connections there are somewhat less than convenient I wouldn't assume that there would be as high a percentage of transfers.

From what I've seen (admittedly not that regular an occurrence), I think something like half of those who get off at Bloor make their way to the Dundas West subway station and/or the streetcars.

Back