Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Downsview station (the new one, not the existing) is going to be a very interesting station to watch as it is the first to have decent physical integration between GO and TTC which isn't at the destination. Union is too close to the end of the trip to be a useful gauge in transfers.
I don't see how physical integration can get much better than at Kipling Station...but no one transfers there either because of the double fare and peak-only service.

I don't see how physical integration can get much better than at Kipling Station...but no one transfers there either because of the double fare and peak-only service.

Yes peak service has a lot to do with it, but during rush hour there is no reason for people to transfer over as they are going in the same direction. Plus taking the GO into the city is the far faster and more comfortable option and so those who are already on the train are not going to transfer over even if it means an extra walk from Union to their office as opposed to the subway which could drop them off literally in front of their office. And people east of Kipling are not going to travel west just to go east again. All in all it's a good thing people don't transfer over to the subway in the morning or use the subway and transfer over to the train in the evening becuase the subway is already at capacity at Bloor/Yonge. The Milton line gives it some relief. Of course outside off peak periods it's a different story. But CPR is the problem there with their outrageous demands in order to implement all day GO service.

Kennedy Is a very easy transfer between the two and very few people use it.

Kennedy is a strange one, I'm surprised that there isn't more people transfering to/from the trains for the trip to/from Union. I suppose it's the double fare. And the trains are usually packed full at that point. The TTC fare from Scarborough is also artificially cheap for the distance travelled. It also has many of the poorest neighborhoods in the city. Using a service with a premium (and additional) fare like GO on a daily basis might not be an option for many.

the KW line will have interchanges between Eglinton LRT....BD Subway.....King Streetcar (assuming they find a way to build the LV station) and Union....would seem that this would be a great place to have, both, frequent GO trains and fare integration....sadly, neither are in anything close to the near future.

I maintain that I have a feeling that the TTC will bring in $0.75 cent fares to GO like other suburban municipalities, once presto is implemented of course.

How many subway door-closing gongs do you listen to before getting on one? Also, you get a seat on the subway but likely have to stand on GO.

The Milton line has a ton of problems but the current fare isn't one of them.

GO trips to Kipling are about $1.10 cheaper than trips to Union Station. Getting from Milton to Old Mill is about 10% more than going from Milton to Union Station. The destination and GO service that matching their needs is what draws people to Union.

The reason the Barrie line integration will be interesting is GO wholly owns the tracks and could put in 20 to 30 minute frequencies without requiring the cooperation of 3rd party companies like CP Rail.

A full train on the Milton line means nothing more than a full train; nothing will change that. A full train on the Barrie line may become 2 trains the next year, and 4 trains a couple of years after that.

Last edited:
Lots.. I do it almost every day. (to get up to Dundas) only days I don't are nicer ones when I have some time to spare to walk it.

I maintain that I have a feeling that the TTC will bring in $0.75 cent fares to GO like other suburban municipalities, once presto is implemented of course.

I think that some day that integrated fares will happen but GO can't handle that change currently. The reason that Main and Scarborough stops are not made by the Stouffville line is due to a need to meet the demand of the line... the Stouffville trains couldn't afford to have riders from Main and Scarborough stations which had an option of taking Lakeshore line trains displace riders which can only take Stouffville. As much as everyone would like to see integrated GO fares within Toronto there is no way the GO would have its current ridership feel the pain of doing it. However with GO's capability on Lakeshore greatly improved perhaps now is the time to do a trial fare integration on the Lakeshore line alone. The big question is whether or not the Yonge line could handle a fare integration since there are many people from Queen St southward who would take the subway but don't due to cost, and with the cost of that reduced significantly there would be an increase in ridership on the Yonge line. Like the Stouffville line stop decision, the question is whether the people who have little choice to be on the line should be displaced by those who do.

Last edited:
Yes peak service has a lot to do with it, but during rush hour there is no reason for people to transfer over as they are going in the same direction. Plus taking the GO into the city is the far faster and more comfortable option and so those who are already on the train are not going to transfer over even if it means an extra walk from Union to their office as opposed to the subway which could drop them off literally in front of their office. And people east of Kipling are not going to travel west just to go east again. All in all it's a good thing people don't transfer over to the subway in the morning or use the subway and transfer over to the train in the evening becuase the subway is already at capacity at Bloor/Yonge. The Milton line gives it some relief. Of course outside off peak periods it's a different story. But CPR is the problem there with their outrageous demands in order to implement all day GO service.

Except, of course, they happen to be going somewhere that isn't Union. And judging by the passenger numbers, there seems to be a reasonable amount of people who do just that, at least at Kipling. Kennedy, well......not so much.

All ridership numbers are as of Spring 2012.
Kipling, AM peak - 511 off, 358 on.
Kipling, PM peak - 378 on, 396 off.
Kennedy, AM peak - 126 off, 74 on.
Kennedy, PM peak - 115 on, 80 off.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I am actually amazed to see that more people get off at Kennedy than get on..

also, maybe I am missing something, but I got on at Kennedy in the PM last week and I was one of only 2 people on the platform. admittingly it was one of the earlier trains and isn't as full, but it still seems low if they think that 115 are getting on every day.

For GO Crews using the Georgetown line, you will have a new block signal come Monday or early this week for Old Weston Rd. It will be on the east side of the existing one and will be taller to give you better line of site sooner. This will allow crews to start work on the west retaining wall this year.

Come March 15 2014 or about, trains will be using the new grade separation tunnel.

Photos should be on line in the next few days. As for videos, it maybe a washout due to the time line and the various issues with the move. Even Metrolinx will have issues also for the time lap video.

The Old Weston Rd deck span made to its resting place about 9:00pm Sat, 2 hrs before its schedule time and 7.5 hours after it started to move. Span started off at 19m per hour and was down to 17m at the end The first move was 22m and there was hope to have it up at 22m to 25m. Even if they did, it wouldn't help the move.

Police were on both side to make sure people didn't enter the area before the 4 am start as well keeping outside from crossing the corridor. A few people try this, but were turn away.

A 325 ton mobile crane show at about 2.15am on the west side while a 300 ton arrived on the east side.

3:30 am, a very large CP crew show up and was bigger than the first move.

At 4am, A&B Rail haven't shown up yet to allow crews on site even though the blocking was in place for both tracks. A short time later, CP crews went to work unbolt the fish plates for all the tracks section that had to be remove. Both cranes removed 2 section each and were place on either side of the corridor.

All the fencing was removed along the west side to allow the crane to sit up as well movement of equipment.

Part of the existing road to the north was partly removed Friday. (Part 2 to follow)

Based on confirmation of various readings for the jackets and the system, it was decided to carrying moving the deck some where between 2:30 and 2:35pm. This caught nearly everyone off guard for the 3pm time. The only one knew the deck was moving were the crew and those standing on the deck.

I and others were not prepare to start video shooting of the move and to shoot it.

In fact the move almost started at 1pm as only a few liners on the east side still had to be removed and would be done by the time the span made it there. The liners weight 15.4 tonnes each.

At 8am, I made the statement that based on the work done so far as well to be done, 1pm look very good. A few hours later, message were being sent saying the move was going to start a 1pm.

At 5:15, the first of many failures took place with one of the jack eating one of the cables. After 45 minutes of removing the fail cable, the span was on the move again.

Even if the cable not fail, the move had to stop as it was on the rear of the excavators that would add to more failures.

Because the excavators were not moving that fast, the move had to start and stop a number of time. At 7:30 with only 12m to go, a 2nd cable failure because of the stop and start and was removed in 20 minutes this time.

As it near the final position, an excavator stop because of a failure. The span had to stop again.

Finally they got the excavator fix and it finally left the trench so the span could get to it position.

Unlike the last time, reading were taken during the last stop to make sure the span was align correctly for final placement. This allow the span to be position up to the stop bar without stopping.

Back filling was taken place along the east side during the last hour since they was a wide gap between the span and the caisson. With the span in position, back filling would now move a full ramp up along the east side while the west side being temper so back filling could take place later on.

There are retaining walls on both ends of the span and will be finish off now that the span is in position.

The current track from/to the Lampton Yard will beside the new road with extra space south of it for the future track.

CP has said they will be happy once the 3 existing crossing are removed late March 2014 or early April as it will remove extra cost and maintenance to maintain them, as well replacing them.

Last edited:
also, maybe I am missing something, but I got on at Kennedy in the PM last week and I was one of only 2 people on the platform. admittingly it was one of the earlier trains and isn't as full, but it still seems low if they think that 115 are getting on every day.
I got on a 5:30 one a few weeks ago at Kennedy. I didn't count, but I thought it was about 20ish. Enough that I'm surprised it's only 80 for the entire day heading northbound.

First of many video now up on site and will do a fast speed one in time if I can get to download from the camera

This is the first late start shooting the video
[video=youtube_share;u-GdVpFJ3fc]http://youtu.be/u-GdVpFJ3fc[/video]

Back