Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Chris Hume on the alternative Brown+Storey proposal for noise walls along the Railpath:

They imagine barriers that are large chain-link containers full of vegetation. It’s a pretty simple solution, but it has the power to transform a dead zone into something pleasant, park-like and alive. No doubt the transportation engineers, safety tyrants and bylaw purists can come up with dozens of reasons why it won’t work. They will cite chapter and verse to convince us that “noise walls” must be there for our own good.

To them, we say thanks but no thanks. It is precisely this sort of thinking that created so many of these perceived “problems” in the first place. Recently, however, their planning “principles” have been revealed for the pseudo science they are.

The objective must be to build an infrastructure — transit and otherwise — that’s fully integrated into the urban context. After all, to a large extent, a city is nothing but an inhabitable infrastructure; the idea that the two must be kept away from each other is a contemporary fiction that has done enormous damage to cities, especially in North America. That doesn’t mean we want kids playing on train tracks; but the answer need not entail slicing the city into isolated sections, each walled off from the next.

Not only does Metrolinx not see the forest for the trees, it has lost sight of why it exists. It has had to fight heroically against bottomless political ignorance, but if it forgets what the battle is about, it has no chance of winning.

Typically glum from Hume, he obviously thinks this proposal has no chance of succeeding!

Metrolinx's ‘noise walls’ have no place in Toronto: Hume

Metrolinx's ‘noise walls’ have no place in Toronto: Hume

Sep 20 2013

By Christopher Hume

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/09/20/metrolinxs_noise_walls_have_no_place_in_toronto_hume.html

When the provincial transit agency, Metrolinx, finally bit the bullet on the Union Station-Pearson Airport rail link several years ago, few disagreed it was the right thing to do. But it has been in the doing that the project has revealed its builders’ lack of ambition and left so many disappointed.

- First, there was the decision to stick with diesel rather than electrify the system. Then came the failure to grasp the need to create as many connections as possible between the airport line and other transit routes, both present and proposed. Now there are the monstrous “noise walls†that will run alongside the line for kilometres. These concrete barriers, which stand five metres tall, can be seen along the highways that criss-cross the endless suburban landscape. Whether they’re intended to protect drivers from the overwhelming ugliness of places like Mississauga and Brampton or make life less awful for locals is hard to tell. In either case, it should be obvious that such structures have no place in a city.

- Indeed, they are at complete odds with the basic purpose of transit. They don’t connect; they divide. They only make sense in a world where various functions are seen as isolated rather than part of a larger, co-ordinated effort to achieve some over-arching goal. Metrolinx has conveniently forgotten that its aim is not simply to be a transit-builder but more importantly, a city-builder. To degrade huge swaths of the city in the name of making it a better place doesn’t add up. In fact, not only is that irrational, it’s thoughtless and self-destructive. At this stage, Metrolinx’s institutional myopia, like that of the TTC, has made it is as much a problem as a solution.

- This need not be the case. The point has been beautifully made in a proposal prepared by the Toronto architectural firm Brown and Storey. It was hired by the Junction Triangle Rail Committee to come up with alternatives to Metrolinx’s great wall policy. They imagine barriers that are large chain-link containers full of vegetation. It’s a pretty simple solution, but it has the power to transform a dead zone into something pleasant, park-like and alive. No doubt the transportation engineers, safety tyrants and bylaw purists can come up with dozens of reasons why it won’t work. They will cite chapter and verse to convince us that “noise walls†must be there for our own good.

green_wall.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

The question that pops to mind and I have been trying to figure out is how much noisier is a Diesel passenger train than an electric passenger train.

If noise walls are necessary with electric trains....are they necessary with diesel trains?

Hume really butchers this story.

First, there hasn't been a decision NOT to electrify the system. In fact, there is an EA process currently going on to do just that starting with the Union-Pearson Express. Diesel service is just a stopgap measure to have it in place for the PanAm Games.

Second, Metrolinx proposed a direct station connection between Dundas West TTC and Bloor GO Stations. The TTC said they didn't have the funds to do so, as part of the current rebuild of Bloor GO Station. When the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT is built, there will be a new GO station added to the line for both local and airport service.

Third, the "noise walls" relate to the expansion of Georgetown South, not the UP Express, which is required for all-day, 30-minute headways on the Kitchener corridor.

The question that pops to mind and I have been trying to figure out is how much noisier is a Diesel passenger train than an electric passenger train.

If noise walls are necessary with electric trains....are they necessary with diesel trains?
I can categorically say the difference in sound levels between diesel and electric trains is negligible (less than 1 dB, imperceptible to human hearing). The largest part of train noise comes from interface impact loading (ie the clickity-clack as the wheels roll over the joints in the rails). A definitive public answer to this will be available by June 2014, when the Electrification EA is finalizes.

I can categorically say the difference in sound levels between diesel and electric trains is negligible (less than 1 dB, imperceptible to human hearing). The largest part of train noise comes from interface impact loading (ie the clickity-clack as the wheels roll over the joints in the rails). A definitive public answer to this will be available by June 2014, when the Electrification EA is finalizes.

Really? I used to live in the UK and never found the electric trains that bad. But now that I live near Danforth GO I really notice the ominous rumbling of the turbine engines. The UPE DMUs would be a different story, I'm sure, but those GO trains are really loud. The noise barriers are also really ugly. You can see examples in the Upper Beaches, north of Gerrard by Ted Reeves arena.

The chain-link vegetation walls are great if you have room to spare, which the Weston subdivision does not have. It's would be akin to suggesting removing a lane either direction from the 401 or DVP in order to have a more natural looking barrier. If all the adjacent property owners were to agree to give up a 2m strip of their backyards to have this, then I'm sure Metrolinx would jump at the opportunity.

Yes that's it. Does anyone know if the counter and kiosks will protrude that far into the walkway, or do you reckon the construction barrier is giving that illusion?
What counter/kiosks are you talking about? On the left-hand side of the walkway it's just a mural on the construction barrier showing a platform and train.

I lived and worked in the UK as well. They have stricter noise emission regulations there. The UPE DMUs will be Tier 4 Engines, so they are really quiet and product about a quarter of the NOx emissions of existing locomotives.

Also as new GO locomotives join the fleet, they've upgraded the MP40 engines from EMD710 to QSK60, which have quad turbocharging, which will allow better noise control as only turbines needed to start off will be activated. However, it'll be a number of years before any sizable portion of the fleet has been changed over.

As for the design look of the barriers, what was done in the past isn't always what they'll do in the future. I know Metrolinx now has "Architectural & Aesthetics Guidelines", which includes a review panel with a few notable external individuals, that all new projects must submit to. As for the noise walls under consideration for the Weston subdivision, here are a few more recent types that meet the space requirements (narrow width), R-factor (sound reduction), and aesthetic guidelines. The first two have been built near St. Catherine's.

Durisol_StCatharines.jpg

may-31-2013-146.jpg

europe-2013-1047.jpg

Durisol_Alaska.jpg

ashlar-highway-sound-wall-panel.jpg

PARAGLAS_GSCC.jpg

WhisperWall.jpg

http://i0.wp.com/www.westsideaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/may-31-2013-146.jpg

Attachments

• ashlar-highway-sound-wall-panel.jpg
    ashlar-highway-sound-wall-panel.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 642

I keep hearing the same thing from Metrolinx PR staff and some of the consultants at the neighbourhood meetings. It doesn't seem to match reality though.

All you have to do is stand on the Railpath, or the Bloor GO station platform, when a train is pulling out of the station (best example is north/westbound, when locos are on the trailing end of the train). As the passenger cars roll by, there's not much noise, but then you get smacked with the sound of the locomotive.

Also, there's no clickety clacking on the rails here. They're welded, and I'm sure any new rails would be too. The only clickety clacking we hear is from the trains that go through the West Toronto Diamond and the Davenport Diamond. Fortunately, the WTD noise will be mostly mitigated with the grade separation.

I live on Symington Ave., and I don't hear the trains clickety clacking or gliding along the rails. I only hear the engines (and bells/horns...).

But I'm really tired of hearing the same story about "interface impact loading" and "clickety clack" from what sounds like people who have never actually been along these tracks / stations when trains are coming through.

What they say about diesel and electric trains being about the same in terms of noise doesn't add up to the reality. Diesels are really loud, especially as they accelerate. Electric trains are noticeably quieter. Compare TTC buses to streetcars. Streetcars are generally quieter. Electrification of GO transit and the airport train would probably eliminate the need for a lot of those noise barriers.

The West Toronto Railpath is an important public space in the west end. Since it's a narrow, linear park, it has to be dealt with great care when it comes to noise walls. My preference is for fully transparent barriers with as much space as possible between posts because I think that the view of the tracks and the streetscape on the other side of the tracks--often historic buildings--makes the path more interesting. The tracks and buildings to the west are important to contextualizing the history of the neighbourhoods on both sides of the tracks, so they should still be visible from this important public space.

The Railpath is narrow. Anything but the transparent barriers will make it seem less open and more constrictive. It will look more sterile and uninteresting with even the finest-grade noise barriers that don't offer views of the interesting things west of the wall. A non-transparent wall will increase the sense of isolation between the neighbourhoods on opposite sides of the tracks. Transparency is important.

I just remembered in a house in England it wasn't just the sound, but the constant vibrations throughout the house that went with it.

Even if the MP40s are fully re-engined and the new config is quieter there will still be some noisy traffic from CP and VIA on the midpart of the Georgetown works but it doesn't seem credible to me that the UPX traffic - which in movements terms could form the bulk of the traffic - will be anywhere near that obtrusive. The HEP generator alone on an MP40 is 1000hp, which is probably about the entire amount of power required for a 2 car DMU set. Opponents of these works like to present all movements as equal, as if every aircraft movement at Pearson from turboprop up should be counted as if it were a 747-400.

Even if the MP40s are fully re-engined and the new config is quieter there will still be some noisy traffic from CP and VIA on the midpart of the Georgetown works but it doesn't seem credible to me that the UPX traffic - which in movements terms could form the bulk of the traffic - will be anywhere near that obtrusive. The HEP generator alone on an MP40 is 1000hp, which is probably about the entire amount of power required for a 2 car DMU set. Opponents of these works like to present all movements as equal, as if every aircraft movement at Pearson from turboprop up should be counted as if it were a 747-400.

The bulk of the trains will probably be airport and GO trains in the corridor. CP trains don't even go south of West Toronto Diamond. Electrifying the regional passenger trains would make a huge difference. People seem fine with the occasional CP, VIA and GO train (the status quo); it's the planned expansion to all-day GO and airport trains that concerns them. GO uses powerful, loud diesels. The airport trains will be quieter, but more frequent.

luckily the only way all day GO is going to happen is if the big move gets funding, and if it gets funding kitchener will be electrified.

Any chance of Metrolinx getting federal money for electrification is now zero due to the money they will be putting into a non-needed SRT replacement with a tunnel.

Back