Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I wish the thing would be torn down. It interferes with the great architecture in the area. It should either be made useful or removed.

I've used it numerous times over the past year. It's open more often than not, unless something has changed recently. It offers a great vantage point:

7284099740_e7795a36ac_c.jpg

A lot of questions, most of which don't have solid answers but I'll try:

The city absolutely intends to clean up City Hall's exterior when the entire project is done. An assessment was made around the time that they were finishing restoration of Old City Hall but it was deferred. I don't know where it stands now but I'm guessing that they'll want to have the main attraction -- City Hall itself -- looking like new when they finally cut the ribbon on the Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization some time in 2015.

I don't believe the plans to reclad the walkways made it in. They were never a part of the project but would have made a big difference. Still, the walkways will be decked and furnished and cutouts made to open it to the space below and along sections of the sides facing into the square. At that time, it would make sense to reclad the remaining portions as some of the sections need to be replaced or patched up. The rabbit elevator entrance on Queen/Bay is going to be reclad to match the new buildings so it only makes sense to redo the walkways when that work comes up. I still have hope.

The Queen St. ramp next to Osgoode Hall is staying. I wish they would remove the one on the south side along the Sheraton. That one is a barrier that ruins the sidewalk friendliness along that stretch and is significantly responsible for the Sheraton turning its back on Queen St.

The Sheraton walkway is staying because nobody could agree on who to pay for its removal. One thing is certain: it's heading towards the end of its useful life over the next 10 years and needs to be refurbished. It's a complicated problem but I think the city will have no choice but to fix it or tear it down. Given past statements and intentions, I'm guessing they'd take it down.

Thanks. Too bad about the Queen St ramp. I would prefer that the ramps be placed towards the back of the square. Opening up that part of Queen St to pedestrians only, would have been great.

Agreed, on the Sheraton ramp. Its entire Queen St frontage needs a major overhaul.

I don't believe the plans to reclad the walkways made it in.

That's disappointing to hear. It's would be a shame to see all the great work done, only to be left with a concrete barrier around it. They have already used glass on a small section by the pavilion. It would be great to see that extended, or something similar.

I don't believe the plans to reclad the walkways made it in.

Good, it would have destroyed the architectural integrity of the original design. Re-pave it, but the concrete must stay. City Hall is a product of its time, and one of the best examples of 60s modernism anywhere. This generation is in such a rush to make every last inch of Toronto look contemporary that we're in danger of losing our very best examples of past architectures.

What's next, proposals to re-clad the CN Tower in glass?

The original PLANT proposal don't foresee recladding the entire walkway - just short, selected sections with glazing. It's pretty sensitive as interventions go.

AoD

The new stage is awesome. It's one of few things in this City that has come out better than the original plan. It fits the existing architecture and has the potential to quickly become an iconic piece on the square. Besides its aesthetics, it is functional not only as a stage but resolves a longstanding problem by creating an organic entrance in to the walkways which have always been underused.

When did HERO Burger open up at the square? I thought they were denied servicing the square!

From this link, back in April:

Council voted 22 to 16 to overrule the government management committee and award the contract to Hero.

If it were this year, Steak Queen might have gotten in.

They need to put some large umbrellas with tables & chairs on the roof of this building. (planters with shrubs & flowers would be nice too) This rooftop space goes unused during the summer and that's a shame because it's a great place for a patio.

The roof is indeed planned as a patio. Originally it was to be used by the restaurant to be built on the other side of the walkway though I'm sure Hero Burger could use it if they asked the city.

Is work on Queen progressing ?

Slowly. Last I saw they were still installing Silva Cells. We should see a faster pace once it gets warmer. A frozen ground is not the ideal condition for landscaping.

When did HERO Burger open up at the square? I thought they were denied servicing the square!

I remember watching Council debate Hero Burger when they applied, I think it was just before summer recess. They spent well over half a day debating and questioning whether it was the appropriate vendor for the space.

Back